Everyone remembers these delicious snacks from your childhood. The best part being the surprise inside! Now you can easily recreate this yummy snack at home. I’ve provided instructions on how to recreate the snack–the secret surprise you hide inside is up to you!
4 quarts popped popcorn
1 cup peanuts
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons molasses
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 250° F.
2. Combine the popcorn and peanuts on a cookie sheet and place in the oven.
3. Combine all of the remaining ingredients in a saucepan.
4. Stirring over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil.
5. Using a cooking thermometer, bring the mixture to the hard-crack stage (290°F, or the point at which the syrup, when dripped into cold water, forms a hard but pliable ball). This will take about 20 to 25 minutes (or until you notice the mixture turning a slightly darker brown).
6.Remove the popcorn and peanuts from the oven and, working quickly, pour the caramel mixture in a fine stream over them. Then place them back in the oven for 10 minutes.
7. Mix well every five minutes, so that all of the popcorn is coated.
8. Cool and serve or store in a covered container.