View Full Version : Bread Crumbs

Kitchen Witch
February 11th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Bread Crumbs

TIDBIT There are two types of bread crumbs?fresh (or soft) and dried, and they should not be used interchangeably. By the way, I don?t recommend using stale bread?it usually tastes like what it is, old.

EQUIVALENTS
? Bread: 1 untrimmed slice = about 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
? Toast: 1 slice = about 1/3 cup crumbs
? 8-ounce package dried crumbs = 2 1/3 cups

STORING Bread crumbs can be refrigerated, tightly sealed, for 1 week; frozen for at least 6 months.

PREPARING
? Fresh (soft) bread crumbs: Tear or cut bread slices (trimmed of crusts or not) into quarters and turn into a food processor. Process, using quick on/off pulses, until crumbs reach the desired texture. The blender can also be used but, because of the narrow blender jar, process only 2 slices of bread at a time.

? Dried bread crumbs: Place a single layer of bread slices on a baking sheet; bake at 300F until completely dry and lightly browned. Cool completely before breaking into pieces and processing until fine in a blender or a food processor. If using a blender, process only 1 1/2 to 2 slices at a time. If you don?t have either of these appliances, put the dry bread slices in a heavyweight plastic bag, seal, then crush the slices with a rolling pin.

? Seasoning bread crumbs (at a fraction of the cost of store-bought crumbs) is easy to do: Simply add salt, pepper, crumbled dried herbs and, if desired, finely grated cheese.

? Leftover cornbread? Crumble it finely, spread evenly over a baking sheet, and bake at 300F until completely dry and lightly browned.

USING
? Sauteed bread crumbs make a delicious topping for vegetables, casseroles and even some salads. In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon butter or extra virgin olive oil for each cup of soft crumbs (2 tablespoons for dried crumbs). When the butter or oil is hot, add the bread crumbs, tossing until evenly coated. Saute, stirring often, until crumbs are golden brown. Cool at least partway before using. The longer the crumbs cool, the crisper they?ll become.

? Bread crumbs are a quick and nutritious thickener for soups, sauces, sauced dishes and casseroles. Use whole-wheat or rye crumbs for hearty meat soups or stews.

? Bread crumb substitute: Many cereals can be crushed and used as a substitute?try corn, wheat or rice flakes, but stay away from those that are sweetened. Three cups flakes yield about 1 cup crumbs.

? Cracker crumbs may also be substituted for bread crumbs?use 3/4 cup cracker crumbs for each cup of bread crumbs called for in a recipe.

dmiranda91
March 9th, 2010, 09:14 AM
What a wonderful recipe you post here I guess some member or visitor that looking at some recipes like these, they will like it. Even me, I like that recipe one day I will try to bake it when I have been vacant of my busy day.

lvdkeyes
March 9th, 2010, 11:30 AM
There is also Panko, Japanese style bread crumbs, which are very dry and produce a great crunchy texture when meat is dusted with seasoned flour, dipped in beaten egg, and then the Panko and fried.