View Full Version : How Have Higher Gas Prices Affected You?

Team-Chefs
April 22nd, 2006, 09:30 AM
I'm doing a little investment research and I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion on the impact of higher gas prices.

Have you changed any of your spending habits to offset these higher prices?

How high do you think gas prices are going to go?

Does it really matter at all or is it just business as usual in your household?

Ron

Kitchen Witch
April 22nd, 2006, 09:56 AM
It's very difficult these days! Food prices have escalated with the raise in minimum wage and now this with gasoline. So the cycle starts.....

It's not like "in the good ol' days" when you had corner stores to pick up groceries when you needed something. And the convenience stores are basically, beer, pop, ciggies and newspapers. Maybe prepared sandwiches (known as "rubber subs") coffee - but not much for anyone who is in need of a meal ingredient! If you're lucky you may find one with a deli counter for slicing deli meats - but it's not what most are looking for. And this forces a person to have to drive to the supermarket. Of course - they are not the old-fashioned supermarkets located in your area - they are practically mall-size and in order to get to one - you need to drive. Most stores are located in mall areas - and most malls are outside of most towns/cities. Even drugstores are not as close to home as needed for many. Bus routes are not as widely used in many areas - and it wouldn't matter - they will raise their rates as well. Besides - shopping and using a bus with parcels???????? Taxi drivers will also be raising their rates.

That means - bicycle prices will also rise - for those that would prefer to bike to work, etc. Why shouldn't the bicycle manufacturers jump on the bandwagon too and make a profit!

Sneaker companies will now come up with a more durable walking shoe for those that need to hit the pavement - and those shoes will cost more too!

It's just a vicious cycle - and it seems that all the companies will jump on the band wagon. Food and other consumer goods will have to go up in price because of the gas/diesel used by trucking companies.

And where does that leave those of us that are retired and living on fixed incomes? Medicare has forced many to invest in prescription plans which takes away from their monthly checks. That leaves even less to live on. You've seen commercials on television - seniors/disabled have to choose between medications and food - now add gasoline to it.

Ambulances will raise their rates because of gas for travel - that's not covered by insurance.

For those that have to pay rates to park in parking lots or ramps for work - if they stop driving, the ramps/lots will have to raise their rates to make up the difference.

And then there is the one-income families trying to survive. Jobs are out-sourced to different countries leaving lower wages for those that need to work at anything they can find. Two-income families are not in much better shape.

Most households have more than one car. With these prices - one grets to fill up (if they are lucky) and the other just puts into the gas tank whatever they can.

Our property and school taxes will also increase. More children are being bussed to schools and many have split sessions and need to take a bus or school bus to another school for special classes. And don't forget the after-school sports held in different schools! And field trips for students.

The post office will cry that they are not making money because of the increase in gas prices and then they will raise the price of postage. Supermarkets, banks, convenience stores that take utility payments will raise their rates for accepting such payments. You can't win.

If no one travels on weekends or for vacations due to all this - then businesses raise their prices to make up for what they are losing - if they don't just end up closing and putting more out of work.

grrrrrrrrrr -

Ok - for now - I will step off my soapbox! I've bored you enough!

KW

Kitchen Witch
April 22nd, 2006, 10:03 AM
I'm back - FYI - this morning on the news they said that the top 3 oil companies will be making 80 million in profits!

And Bush is going after anyone who is price-gouging!

He should start with the oil companies!!!

grrrrrr---------

Team-Chefs
April 22nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
If you can't beat 'em join 'em - invest in the oil companies. With all of these geo-political issues looming (Iran, etc) it's going to get worse before it gets better.

nicelady2k
April 22nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
This is SO unnecessary. As usual our 'government' is not telling the tax paying American people, consumer the truth. In Texas ALONE there is enough gas for each American for the next 150 years at $1.10 per gallon. There are countless reserviors full of oil that has been there so long that the caps are rusted closed. It would be less expensive to replace the caps and give us that oil. The oil from other countries has to reprocessed so lets use what we have here in the USA. Charity should start at home but our 'government' thinks it should start with them then other countries that owe us money THEN the American people. Ahhh the last days are upon us. Unfortunately this is only the beginning. Glad I have my faith!

utcarol
April 22nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
I am so tired of the good ole boys comparing the price of gas to the price of milk. When do we ever buy 20 gallons of milk at one time? I think the good ole boys, "Bush, Cheney and crew" are just lining their pockets. Yuk!

countrygirl
April 22nd, 2006, 11:47 AM
I live in a metropoliton area in Arizona and I am 72 years old. You have to drive to everything as everything is at least a mile away. At my age and the heat there is no way that I can walk that far. I try to plan my errands to make the best of it and get as much done in one trip.

Team-Chefs
April 22nd, 2006, 11:58 AM
At least a mile in a metroplolitan area? Imagine what the suburbs are like in Arizona.

Be careful in the heat out there.

kb8ogn
April 22nd, 2006, 12:39 PM
We have really cut back. We cancelled cable, date night, sports for the kids.
We are buying only what is needed, no extra's. We cancelled family vacations this year too. Gas is just too high to drive the camper everywhere.

It is really hitting us hard. The only reason we still have internet is because dh job pays for it.

jayddw
April 22nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
As the general public, middle class America should start to take back America.
The gas tycoons keep getting richer, politicians keep getting richer; but the people who get up every day and work for moderate salaries and are still the back bone of the country -- keep getting the shaft. MIDDLE AMERICA, BAND TOGETHER AND TAKE BACK WHAT WE HAD IN THE 50'S, 60'S AND 70'S.

joyc34
April 22nd, 2006, 02:59 PM
I think that the people that have intrest in the oil are lining their pockets with
the high prices of gas. Like our President and all the rest. Sorry Mr. President
but thats what I belive. There is NO need for these HIGH prices. But then as long as certain pockets are getting full, why worry about the majority that have to suffer. Guess we need to get the republicans OUT. Need I say more?

pyoung
April 22nd, 2006, 02:59 PM
I Received An E-mail That Said If You Do Not Buy From The Two Big Companies (exxon & Mobil) That They Will Feel The Pinch And Start Doing Something. We Will See

Kitchen Witch
April 22nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
pyoung - I posted that email - it's posted in CHAT as GAS WAR

It would be great if everyone did this!

Kitchen Witch
April 22nd, 2006, 04:02 PM
by the way - I have been against this since it started - and I will only purchase gas for my car and the reservation! At least I am not paying taxes on it.

Since I live in NY - I buy my clothes (tax free instead of 8.75% here) in PA and all my taxable items (6% VS 8.75% here). I find that even groceries are cheaper there than here.

And before you ask - yes - I am moving there as soon as I can!

These high prices are bad enough - but NY state taxes are ridiculous! The way the economy is - no one can afford to live here anymore - no jobs and high taxes and high prices!

What's really sad - on the news today they were talking about immigrants from Mexico taking over any job and getting paid only $3 to $4 per hour and Americans were making 3 to 7 times more than that doing the same jobs. The American citizens can't live on that - how are these poor people supposed to. And the companies prefer them because they never complain and work longer hours. And they have no benefits! Not right - they don't deserve that treatment!

PATTIESPEARL
April 22nd, 2006, 04:56 PM
MY HUSBAND AND I ARE A TRUCK OWNER/OPERATOR. THIS HAS HIT US VERY HARD. THE BROKERS OFFER US FREIGHT AT $1.00 PER MILE OR $1.25 PER MILE. WE CAN NOT DO THIS AND STAY IN BUSINESS OUR TRUCK GETS 4.55 MILES PER GALLON,SO AS FOR MOST TRUCKS, IT TAKES MORE THAN THAT TO BE ABLE TO MAKE A PROFIT. WE WERE GETTING PAID $ 1.00 PER MILE OVER 30 YEARS AGO WHEN FUEL WAS $0.50 PER GALLON. WE HAVE NO GROCERY STORES IN OUR AREA. WE HAVE TO TRAVEL 40 TO 60 MILES (ONE WAY) FOR FOOD OR CLOTHING. WE DON.T DRIVE THE CAR UNLESS IT IS REALLY NECESSARY. I DO DRIVE 1/2 MILE TO CHURCH ON SUNDAY MORNING BECAUSE MY TEACHING AIDS ARE TOO HEAVY TO CARRY THAT FAR. IT WAS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT MR. BUSH (IN HIS CAMPAIGN) WAS GOING TO SOMETHING ABOUT THE PRICE OF FUEL IF HE WAS ELECTED. I JUST DIDN'T KNOW THAT THIS IS WHAT HE MEANT?????:mrgreen:

bellelee
April 22nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
In our house we car pool more with other people and when errands have to be done we do several while we are out. We go out less also. At least this gives us more time to do more around our house..........LOL

PattyG
April 22nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
One way to help drive down the cost of gasoline is just buy the smallest amount you can get away with. If filling stations tanks are full and they can't order any more from their suppliers, the suppliers will be stuck with alot of gas and they in turn will not be able to buy any from the refineries. When this happens prices will fall, but you must keep this up until gas has reached a reasonable price at the pumps. Americans have the power to achieve this if you we would just all pull together.
Patty

bellelee
April 22nd, 2006, 05:06 PM
Just read some more of the postings. I just want to say that I nor my husband voted for Bush the first time nor the second time. As for the gas companys, Exxon recently, are massing hugh profits. What does everyone think of their billion dollar quarter.........just a little reminder, that is only 3 months. Well they are getting richer and richer. Just wish that a real green car was available. That are some of my thoughts.

Kitchen Witch
April 22nd, 2006, 05:27 PM
let's face it - the working middle class in this country is being wiped out!

we are heading right back into the sweatshops! work long-hard hours for nothing or don't work at all - and meanwhile - EVERYTHING is going up - and the farmers use a lot of gasoline - so guess what??? looks like we won't be eating much

mommabond
April 22nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
I have stopped driving all together. When I need to get groceries or anything else, I depend on someone else, who is already going to take me.I've spend a total of $20.00 on gas in the last month and I still have half a tank. The only reason I will drive is for an emergency.

ToupaCathy
April 22nd, 2006, 06:00 PM
when one person in our home goes to town they run as many errands as possible for everyone.and when I go I call my sisters and see if they need to go and we carpool.No more drives just to enjoy or relax the outdoors.Most visiting is done during chance meetings on errands,over the phone or online.All our lifestyles have changed ALOT!

gypsymal
April 23rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
No yet but I am really getting concerned

nunziobiz
April 23rd, 2006, 10:34 PM
As a sales person for Comcast, they supposedly figured in the cost of gas in our base salary. This no longer applys with the rising costs of petrol. I'm hoping something changes soon, as I am spending about $20.00 a a day on the road, without a fair return. I am seriously considering a home based business now more than ever. Any bonified ideas out there would be welcome.

Kitchen Witch
April 24th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Sen. Schumer (NY) has vowed to go after anyone who is price gouging. With oil at $75/barrel it looks like there is no relief in sight. And it is expected to be at least $4/gallon by summer - which is not that far away. Of course - that price could NOT include all the taxes! But Schumer did state that he is going to investigate why this is happening and also he wants to see 15 to 20 oil companies and not just 3 or 4 regulating everything. Our country will not stop corporations from buying each other out. If it isn't regulated soon, everything in the world will be owned by a dozen people and we will not have a chance!

Poutine
April 25th, 2006, 12:56 AM
I’m OK with the price of oil.
But I live in Alberta (The Athabasca Oil Sands have estimated oil reserves in excess of that of the rest of the world, estimated to be 1.6 trillion barrels) where the government mailed every man, woman and child a $400 “prosperity” cheque because the price of oil does great things for the economy here.
I’m also OK with it because I think that people drive far too much. North Americans drive huge SUV’s everywhere (even to the gym) instead of walking (and them complain about being overweight).
I hope that the rising price of oil will encourage people to save our natural resources and get up and walk.

:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta

V in Vancouver, WA
April 25th, 2006, 03:16 AM
I'm doing a little investment research and I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion on the impact of higher gas prices.

Have you changed any of your spending habits to offset these higher prices?

How high do you think gas prices are going to go?

Does it really matter at all or is it just business as usual in your household?

Ron
Ron, that is a good idea, I just went with Global Resources' Energy Resources and rolled over part of my 401K into that as it is currently making a lot of money for it's investors. But there are a lot of good choices out there. Like, if the leaders are oil men, invest in oil, and if they are strutting around like Banty Roosters, talking the talk of war and one or more from another country are doing the same, and you think chances are they will be walking the walk, invest in the articles of war, and like the TV ads say, if you are into jogging and note a particular type of shoe or drink, go with what is hot!
V of Vancouver, WA

QueenBuzz
September 29th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Well.... the gas price is finally dropping. I live in a moderately small town, compaired to most. We have a few chain stores and even fewer resturaunts, yet we seem able to support a 4-year university. In the past 5 weeks, gas has dropped from 2.99 per gallon to 2.27.. why?? Because some concerened citizens contacted Austin about price gouging... lol.. it worked!! When we were at 2.65 a gallon here, towns (even smaller that us) had dropped their prices to 2.35 and lower... unbelievable!!

We only put enough gas in each week to get to work and back and run some errands, only filling up if we happen to be going out of town. I see others doing the same.... I think the local gas stations "got the message"!!

mamawolf
October 29th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I think that the prices of gas these days is outragious. People are losing their jobs,losing their houses and other things but yet the government needs to find some way to get those oil companies to lower the gas prices.Why should they have the FAT POCKETS why not spread the wealth around and give it to the little people who needs more.

Kitchen Witch
October 29th, 2009, 06:20 PM
They are not paying as much per barrel liike they were - but there are all these "hidden" fees that they have dreamed of.

I don't understand how we can be "coming out of the recession" when more jobs are disappearing, more homes are being foreclosed and prices as high as they are.

But don't forgert - AIG may need more money, or the banks - the ones that got bail out money so that they would start lending again and they won't lend anyone anything, and that farce with the cash for clunkers was supposed to have saved the world!

CaliLiving
November 6th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Whenever you look at older movies (movies made in the 80's and early 90's) look at the gas prices in the background if they have a scene with a gas station in it. I've noticed it more and more now. Was watching the movie Collateral (Tom Cruise movie) there was a scene with a gas station. The price at that station (in Los Angeles) was $2 I think. Did some research online for gas prices in 2004 (that's when the movie was made), they had media reports complaining about the gas prices hitting a new record high of over $2 LOL. WOW.
________
WEB SHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Silkhat
September 13th, 2010, 01:15 AM
If you think gas prices are high in the US just say a prayer for those of us in Australia where the cost is AU$ 1.25 a litre which equates to

US$ 5.27 a gallon

and bear in mind that Australia is slightly bigger in size than the US with only 25 million population compared to your 300 million- so we are sparsely populated which means further to drive to get anywhere.

On average most Australians drive 25000 to 30000 miles a year.

Neil