View Full Version : is it global warming??

Kitchen Witch
July 31st, 2006, 08:38 PM
Is it global warming that is causing this heatwave???

They say the glaciers are melting and the oceans temperatures are increasing. One gentleman on TV todqay said that in the 60's and 70's there was so much smog from cars using leaded gas that the layer of smog actually protected us from the heat from the sun.

What's your opinion?

kyragee
August 17th, 2006, 11:45 AM
have you seen the Al Gore documentary - global warming is a bigger problem then we can ever imagine .I highly recommend this documentary - the higher temperatures will get even higher in years to come.

Kitchen Witch
August 17th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I haven't seen that one yet. I am not a heat person but living in the snow belt - I would like our winters to be milder and if global warming helps that - then that will make me happy!

kyragee
August 18th, 2006, 04:34 PM
i hear you but the natural devaststaion that happens with global warming is so bad that i would rather live with snow then hurricanes, tornadoes, animals dying, skin cancer rates soaring etc.

Kitchen Witch
August 18th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I would still like to know what we did to Mother Nature to make her so angry that all these things are happening! We get a lot of snow but we don't get the hurricanes and tornadoes. Although we did get a tornado that touched down a month or so ago - and cripe - we are not used to that - so all us dummies stood there looking at it and wondering what to do! I think some of us have smartened up a bit since then and we now know we should take cover.

Charlotte Groth
November 29th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Global warming? It's natural, say experts
by BARRY WIGMORE - More by this author »

Last updated at 22:36pm on 13th September 2007

Comments (25)

Some scientists have suggested global warming is due to a natural 1,500-year cycle
Global warming is a natural event and the effects are not all bad, two respected researchers claimed yesterday.

Authors Dennis Avery and Fred Singer looked at the work of more than 500 scientists and argue that these experts are doubtful the phenomenon is caused by man-made greenhouse gases.

Climate change is much more likely to be part of a cycle of warming and cooling that has happened regularly every 1,500 years for the last million years, they say.

And the doom and gloom merchants, who point to the threat to the polar bear from the melting North Pole, are wrong, the authors say.

Even if our climate is changing, it is not all bad, they suggest, because past cold periods have killed twice as many people as warm periods. Mr Avery said: "Not all of these researchers who doubt man-made climate change would describe themselves as global warming sceptics but the evidence in their studies is there for all to see.

"Two thousand years of published human histories say that the warm periods were good for people.

"It was the harsh, unstable Dark Ages and the Little Ice Age that brought bigger storms, untimely frost, widespread famine, plagues and disease."

Recent flooding in the UK has fuelled fears about global warming, but scientists are debating what has caused it

Read more...

Homeowners 'forced' to go green before carrying out loft conversions under Tories

Mr Singer said: "We have a greenhouse theory with no evidence to support it, except a moderate warming turned into a scare by computer models whose results have never been verified with real-world events.

"The models only reflect the warming, not its cause."

The most recent global warming was between 1850 and 1940, the authors say, and was therefore probably not caused by man-made greenhouse gases.

Historical evidence of the natural cycle includes a record of floods on the Nile going back 5,000 years; Roman wine production in Britain in the first century AD; and thousands of museum paintings that portray sunnier skies during what is called the Medieval Warming, and more clouds during the Little Ice Age.

The authors looked at a raft of studies which, they claim, undermine the "scare-mongering" by those blaming man for destroying the planet.

In the current warming cycle, they say there is evidence that storms and droughts have been fewer and milder; corals, trees, birds, mammals and butterflies have adapted well; and sea levels are not rising significantly.

Polar bears are threatened by global warming

Mr Avery is a fellow of the Hudson Institute, an independent U.S. thinktank that tends to side with big business.

He was a senior agricultural analyst at the State Department when Ronald Reagan was president. Mr Singer is a climate physicist.

The pair spent months analysing scientific reports for their book, Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1,500 Years, to counter claims made by former U.S. Vice President Al Gore in his film An Inconvenient Truth.

They argue that variations in the Sun's radiation have far more influence on our climate than humans.

Mr Singer said: "This can all be explained by the Sun's activity."

He added: "The number of the Sun's cosmic rays hitting the Earth affect the number of low, cooling clouds that reflect solar heat back into space, amplifying small variations in the intensity of the Sun."

Kitchen Witch
July 3rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hey Guts - We are all entitled to our own opinion. And I agree. I also think they are spending too much money on space projects. Ok - we walked on the moon - big deal. We can't live there - so what are we supposed to do with it? And this space station thing. That money could not only pay off our entire debt (which has grown immensely since Obama came in) but it would also give everyone the healtiest stimulus checks they ever saw - and our country would not be like it is now. We'd even have the money for better health care and better education.
but who are we?????????? who would listen??????

SmokyOkie
December 12th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Hey Guts - We are all entitled to our own opinion. And I agree. I also think they are spending too much money on space projects. Ok - we walked on the moon - big deal. We can't live there - so what are we supposed to do with it? And this space station thing. That money could not only pay off our entire debt (which has grown immensely since Obama came in) but it would also give everyone the healtiest stimulus checks they ever saw - and our country would not be like it is now. We'd even have the money for better health care and better education.
but who are we?????????? who would listen??????

Do I understand you to say that they are spending over 12 trillion dollars on the space station?

...And are you saying that stimulus checks are a good thing?

Not trying to pick a fight, just want to make sure I understand what you are saying.

Kitchen Witch
December 12th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Hi Smokie -

If we - meaning the citizens - were to get the money they waste between space and bailouts to those that don't need it - our economy would be in much better shape. People would be spending money, making purchases, etc. and there would be less foreclosures, repossessed cars, and more employment.

Our government has a lot of "hidden" money that we don't even know about. There is no call for them to stop COLA payments to the seniors and disabled (cost of living).

SmokyOkie
December 12th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Wholeheartedly agreed.

We do know that about half of the original TARP fund is sitting there unspent like a giant slush fund. they gave out all of it that was "needed", and now, instead of using the rest to pay down the debt, our president wants to use it for a "jobs" bill.

As a small business owner that follows the rules and has a solvent business, I find it particularly outrageous that they gave billions to the large corporations that didn't follow the rules and whose business models ended in abysmal failure, while there is absolutely no relief for the small business owners like myself that are sagging because of the illegal behavior of the larger ones.

All that being said, I think these issues are really the smaller of our worries as a nation.

Thank you for your clarification, and thank you for having me on your forum.

Kitchen Witch
December 13th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I had a small business - I know just what you are saying.

I'm waiting to see what is going to happen with all this - I wonder if the people are going to get a belly-full of all this and start to revolt against the government.

It should be interesting -

and - I think our government is getting involved in some things that they shouldn't -

we need a whole new set of government officials - we need politicians that will care about our country and its citizens

BTW - welcome aboard! We're glad you found us!!

SmokyOkie
December 14th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I had a small business - I know just what you are saying.

I'm waiting to see what is going to happen with all this - I wonder if the people are going to get a belly-full of all this and start to revolt against the government.

It should be interesting -

and - I think our government is getting involved in some things that they shouldn't -

we need a whole new set of government officials - we need politicians that will care about our country and its citizens

BTW - welcome aboard! We're glad you found us!!

Thank you for the welcome.

I agree with much that you say. No doubt that the government is involved in things that they shouldn't be. Controlling the media is one of them.

The people are revolting against the unprecedented onslaught that the federal government is waging against its people. that is why the tea parties, the town hall meetings, and the million people that marched on the capitol last labor day. that is exactly what all that stuff was, a revolt. The only problem is that the government ignored and continues to ignore all that, and continues to do what they want. Under the control of the leftist Obama regime, the media continues to downplay all of the uprising, and smear the naysayers.

I am only afraid that it may be too late for the people to put a stop to it all without serious bloodshed. I abhor the thought, but I am really afraid that it won't be stopped without it.

sorry for the rant. let's talk about cuisine now.:mrgreen:

I am one of the founders of a forum called The Q Joint. It is an outdoor cooking and BBQ forum. Have you ever heard of us?

islandkine
May 23rd, 2010, 06:11 PM
Nope, just people trying to alarm us. People like Al Gore are using this to make millions from us. People need to do their homework. Many scientist don not believe in global warming, just a natural process that happens to the earth. Just do what you can to be good stewarts of the earth and don't go over board. People like Al Gore used to say in the 70's that the world was over populated! They are now into Global Warming! I'm from Hawaii and all I can say is do your homework and don't let these people scare you. I would rather worry about my freedoms being limited by too much government intervention. Now Obama wants us to not use technical products that we can use for good. Maybe he doesn't want us to obtain some information about him and what he wants for the USA. There is always good and bad to something, we just have to have some discipline and know how to use things. Also don't let things and people control our lives. We have to listen to our innerselves (the light of Christ) and do what we feel is right. Just think, pretty soon if Obama has his way we will have a hard time just conversing on the internet like this! Pretty scarey!

Hookbills
May 23rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
Global warming is a fact. Without it we would be experiencing an ice age. Man made global warming is a farce. The sun causes increases and decreases in our global temperatures. If you read up on the subject our solar system is warming. Has man caused CO2 emissions on the other planets to increase?

SmokyOkie
May 24th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Global warming is a fact. Without it we would be experiencing an ice age. Man made global warming is a farce. The sun causes increases and decreases in our global temperatures. If you read up on the subject our solar system is warming. Has man caused CO2 emissions on the other planets to increase?

I was in elementary school when I learned that by it's very nature, climate changes constantly.

Gary1512
May 31st, 2010, 10:31 PM
Global warming is not only a farce, it is an out right lie. If it was actually happening, then every country's scientists would be hammering away to find an answer! We would hear about this every day, not just when it’s convenient for the government. The oil spill is the government's way to create an 'emergency' so to take more control of the county. As the president has said before…’I don’t want to do this, but there’s no choice’. This is not a direct quote and the ‘this’ refers to whatever he’s planning to control. Just keep watching and you’ll see our country unravel.

Gary

SmokyOkie
May 31st, 2010, 10:35 PM
Convenient coincidence that this occurred shortly after the pres sadi that we would open up offshore drilling. Equally coincidental that lst week, he declared that they were shutting down all offshore production and drilling.

It follows righ in line with his always stated belief that we must bankrupt all existing energy production companies other that "Green" enterprises.

cooking_novice
May 31st, 2010, 10:46 PM
I think it's be tough to say that any specific heat wave is due to global warming. I think it is safe to say that the general shift in global temperatures is in part due to climate change, though.

SmokyOkie
May 31st, 2010, 10:51 PM
I think it's be tough to say that any specific heat wave is due to global warming. I think it is safe to say that the general shift in global temperatures is in part due to climate change, though.

As I said earlier, climate changes by its very nature. That is what makes it climate, and it would not be climate otherwise. Most recent results show cooloing rather than warming. That is why those that are promoting that agenda have changed the terminology to "Climate change" instead of warming.

Either way, it is only a means to advance a progressive agenda by purporting a general cataclysmic catastrophe that requires a reaction by the masses. it is all a "Chicken Little" kinda thing, but remember, the sky is not falling.

librachild
May 24th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I was in elementary school when I learned that by it's very nature, climate changes constantly.

I remember that and that the earth was tilted 13 1/2 degrees on axis. Also that the continents move an inch per year. With all the movement over time the climate would also change as we are either moving toward the poles or the equator. Now I don't know what the tilt is now but I think that it may have increased. Just my two cents.:confused:

Kitchen Witch
May 24th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I remember that and that the earth was tilted 13 1/2 degrees on axis. Also that the continents move an inch per year. With all the movement over time the climate would also change as we are either moving toward the poles or the equator. Now I don't know what the tilt is now but I think that it may have increased. Just my two cents.:confused:

with all the tsunami's and volcanoes, etc. I wonder what the tilt degrees are now?

Insanity
May 24th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I can't believe I've not responded to this thread long ago !
Why do people assume global warming is because of the temperature on the outside ?
The center of our planet is 9000F. It only takes 1000F to melt most rock. Also, the center is hot enough to melt itself, but it can't. In order for it to liguidfy, it must expand, but it can't because the Earth's crust keeps it confined. Yet, slowly but surely, it heats our crust, until it weakens enough to crack. Think about it ! Just where do you think molten lava comes from ? ? ?
Did ya' know that Earth has had about 40,000 ice ages ? They occur every 8,000 to 32,000 years. Just prior to each, the Earth's crust warms up, cracks, spews forth ash from 1,000's of volcanos all at once. The sun gets totally blocked out, and doesn't warm the planet anymore. Outer space is like -200F, and freezes our planet, and resolidifies the crust, and turns most water into ice.
Haven't any of ya's wondered how it is that the Pole's ice is melting, coz the temps there are like -140F. Just how could they be melting~~~~COZ THEY'RE MELTING FROM THE BOTTOM UP !http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p159/qumran1/gif-animated-dragonfly-glid.gif

SmokyOkie
May 24th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Quite a nice bit of conjecture there. Not based in fact, and not really logical, but an interesting take.

Insanity
May 24th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Quite a nice bit of conjecture there. Not based in fact, and not really logical, but an interesting take.
"Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader ?"
Coz everything I said is basically 5th grade science. But it doesn't fit in with YOUR logic, thus ya' gotta try labels, huh?http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee1/drstrust/smilies%20and%20emoticons/ostrich.gif
Ya' can call me 'not really-logical' all you want. Just goes to show ya' have no point to make..http://www.conforums3.com/boardimages/avatars/kid.gif

Now why don't ya' try telling me nicely exactly what is "Not based in fact" ? Coz its all based on scientific fact.
Good luck with that....http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k336/sugarsangel/yper_pinocchio16.gif

SmokyOkie
May 25th, 2011, 11:54 AM
"Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader ?"
Coz everything I said is basically 5th grade science. But it doesn't fit in with YOUR logic, thus ya' gotta try labels, huh?http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee1/drstrust/smilies%20and%20emoticons/ostrich.gif
Ya' can call me 'not really-logical' all you want. Just goes to show ya' have no point to make..http://www.conforums3.com/boardimages/avatars/kid.gif

Now why don't ya' try telling me nicely exactly what is "Not based in fact" ? Coz its all based on scientific fact.
Good luck with that....http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k336/sugarsangel/yper_pinocchio16.gif

OK. First off, for the record, I did not call you anything I only referred to what you posted.

Next

In order for it to liguidfy, it must expand, but it can't because the Earth's crust keeps it confined. Yet, slowly but surely, it heats our crust, until it weakens enough to crack.

I don't know what liguidify means, but I suspect that you mean liquify.

Next, the earth's core does not neat the crust. the earth has been cooling from the outside since the very beginning. Separate from its atmosphere, the globe itself is continually undergoing a cooling process. That is the primary cause for the movement of tectonic plates.

Volcanic eruptions are most generally caused when the pressure of liquid magma exceeds the load bearing capacity of whatever geological formation is holding it in, and yes, magma is liquid, even when under pressure. They are not caused by the Earth's core heating the crust until it cracks.

As to the polar ice melting, water of the same temperature as air will indeed melt ice faster, especially if it is in motion. this is due to the fact that water is a better conductor of heat than is air, and thus transfers heat more efficiently.

However, air at a higher temperature will melt ice more quickly than will water at a lower temperature, so.....whether or not the polar ice is melting from the bottom up or the top down would depend on the temperature of the water or air at any given time of day or year, and the location of the ice.

I am quite certain that ther are many times and places where the air temperature is much higher than is the seawater adjacent to the polar ice.

I can go on, but I really didn't set out to engage in a debate. I merely responded to your post. I assume that is what you wanted folks to do, and that is why you posted what you did........or did you just want to post what you did, and others had better not take exception with any of it?

SmokyOkie
May 25th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I don't really remember 5th grade well enough to know at what point in my education I learned what I just posted, but I would suspect that I was never taught what you posted.

How is it that you are aware that what you posted is 5th grade curriculum?

missik999
May 25th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I think we should all go back to discussing food, recipes and cooking. I don't think a thread like this belongs on a recipe forum.

I am surprised that the moderator allows it.

Kitchen Witch
May 25th, 2011, 02:32 PM
We have discussions here as well - some are taken out of context but are watched carefully - if needed - they get deleted. Another member complained about this being a recipe site a few years back because jokes were posted in the chat/discussion forum. Many sites have chat or discussions forums as well as recipes.

SmokyOkie
May 25th, 2011, 02:37 PM
:D;)

Actually, I think the forum owner has posted in the thread.

FWIW, many forums regard themselves as communities, and for that reason they allow their "family" to discuss other topics on the forum. Most have a dedicated forum for off topic discussions.

I think the idea is that if someone doesn't want to read the off topic stuff, they don't have to.

Personally, I enjoy discussions on subject other than cooking, so I often read them and respond.

It will most certainly not hurt my feelings if you don't care to read my posts.

I do appreciate your input though.

missik999
May 25th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I can understand having other discussions here besides recipes and cooking, but when it degenerates into members critiquing typos and arguing it disturbs the peace of the forum.

I used to be a member of a really awesome cooking site that had nice discussions and fantastic recipes and cooking advice. The members showed respect toward each other and it was a peaceful oasis, a pleasant place to visit and exchange recipes and tips. A few years ago, however, someone posted a thread about drug companies who overcharge for prescription drugs. Many people posted on both sides of the issue, including people who had debilitating diseases and were grateful that the drug companies spent the millions on research to discover treatments for their conditions. Other members started slamming them, and it turned into a huge debate that spilled over into the recipe and cooking threads, and ruined the entire forum.

Some recipe sites don't allow off-topic arguments. I guess I forgot I was on a site that does. My apologies, carry on.

SmokyOkie
May 25th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I can understand having other discussions here besides recipes and cooking, but when it degenerates into members critiquing typos and arguing it disturbs the peace of the forum.

I used to be a member of a really awesome cooking site that had nice discussions and fantastic recipes and cooking advice. The members showed respect toward each other and it was a peaceful oasis, a pleasant place to visit and exchange recipes and tips. A few years ago, however, someone posted a thread about drug companies who overcharge for prescription drugs. Many people posted on both sides of the issue, including people who had debilitating diseases and were grateful that the drug companies spent the millions on research to discover treatments for their conditions. Other members started slamming them, and it turned into a huge debate that spilled over into the recipe and cooking threads, and ruined the entire forum.

Some recipe sites don't allow off-topic arguments. I guess I forgot I was on a site that does. My apologies, carry on.

Missi, I am not bothered by your comment.

I hope that you don't feel as though I have slammed anyone. It was not my intention to slam the user that goes by the username Insanity.

I made a comment as to my reaction to their post, and I really don't think I called anyone names or did anything to cast aspersions on them.

Evidently, they chose to take my comment that way.

I enjoy debate and see no reason to shout names at anyone that disagrees with my position. I suppose that there are those that do feel that need though.

Sorry for any unintended concerns that my post caused you.

Kitchen Witch
May 25th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Okay - - it's over and let it go. I did not take the posts offensively - we all have our own interpretations of posts - and I don't think anyone is offended except Missi - sorry Missi. I felt it was a good debate myself.

SmokyOkie
May 25th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Thank you KW!:wink:

Kitchen Witch
May 26th, 2011, 04:39 AM
You're welcomed - and I do love a good debate - it does make you think and it can make you investigate further on topics to find out much more.

denyalmartin
June 9th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks For sharing best post. Here some more info about Global warming. There was another time in the earth's history when global warming was caused by huge amounts of CO2 being released into the atmosphere by extreme volcanism, and raised the global average temperature by +/- 10 degrees.

Insanity
June 9th, 2011, 12:51 AM
It doesn't take much of a temp rise to weaken our crust enough to crack.
Problem is, we have no idea what that temp is.http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee1/drstrust/smilies%20and%20emoticons/ostrich.gif
People even now, don't realize the pressure it takes for a volcano to blow its top. And that pressure comes from the inside. Ever growing, ever trying to expand, so it can turn to liguid.
Even more, many don't realize what an ice age is. It means 500 feet of ice covering Northern America, carving out the Great Lakes. Or even the hundreds of feet of ice it took to create the Grand Canyon.
Our planet has been here for billions of years, yet mankind has only been here for millions. That's like one one/100,000 of that. We are merely a speck in Earth's existance.http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k336/sugarsangel/yper_pinocchio16.gif
Like it has since its time began, the inner core will crack the Earth's crust, block out the sun, and freeze again. We'll live thru it. Mankind has done so dozens of times. But it will return, coz noone can dispute, the Earth's core is 9000F. It's gonna heat us from the inside out once again, like it has done thousands of times before.
Ain't no stopping it !http://www.conforums3.com/boardimages/avatars/kid.gif

Marauderer
June 9th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I have seen the Al Gore documentary, Dose he talk about the ocean conveyer (current) belt? NO!!! Dose he talk about the under water smokers (under water volcanoes) which we know more about the moon than the bottom of are oceans, so Dose he talk about the under water smokers? NO ! In the Al Gore documentary the pictures of the ice burg falling into the ocean was in fact file footage taken long ago. Don't get me wrong , I'm all for green power and clean oceans. With that said; The economy is failing and we need to bring it back soon, going all green all at one time is not the way to do it. Faze it in slowly, after all no one else is going to the extent the USA is taking it. The BS about we have to show the world how to do it, is just that. It's all about who is going to control the carbon credits.. (the cap and trade bill) dose that ring a bell?
We are in a cooling if any thing trend, But we Do Not have records kept long enough, and the ocean is a big factor 2/3rds of the earth is ocean. Al Gore is in part the cause of the economy failing, yes there are green jobs. Question ? Why is it Korea and Iran can have Nuclear power but here in USA we have to have wind mills and solar panels. Build the nuclear plant Now! Now that would be a stimulus package. Proceed with green cars, but we have plenty enough oil till the green cars get figured out. Drill Now. Don't even get me started on the EPA thing.
Bottom line There is No Man Made Global Warming !!! And it can Not be Proven.

Please Please No fighting I'm not a troll I came here to talk about food.:smile: And saw this thread. it is just a reply of what I think and I Do Not want to fight about any thing I have said. Just My Two Cents...
Guts/AKA/Kim

I agree with Guts!!

In 1992 I moved to atlantra and we had over two weeks straight where the temps were over 100*f daily and nothing was said about global warming. I think it is just the normal Earths cycling and some people want to cash in on it and make everyone else dance their tune so to speak.

Kitchen Witch
June 9th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I agree with Guts!!

In 1992 I moved to atlantra and we had over two weeks straight where the temps were over 100*f daily and nothing was said about global warming. I think it is just the normal Earths cycling and some people want to cash in on it and make everyone else dance their tune so to speak.

You got that right!

SmokyOkie
June 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I agree with Guts!!

It is good to see a little common sense on this subject. I get awfully tired of all the "Chicken Littles" out there screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling".

In the '70s, the same types were screaming that we were headed for another ice age (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1663607/posts).

As I believe I previously stated, I was in grade school when I learned was that that only thing constant in climate is that it constantly changes.

Our friend "Insanity" has several thing confused, and continues to issue staements based on fuzzy infromation.

Man has not been on the Earth for millions of years, but more like 250,000 years by closest estimates, and that includes his evolutionary ancestors.

The temperature of the Earth's core can only be estimated, but it is in fact estimated to be above 9000°. However, this only causes the surface temperature of the earth to be about 4° warmer that the surrounding air.

The Earth is cooling and has been since it was formed. As it cools, it contracts. This places pressure on the mantle and core.

The Earth's crust cracks on a regular basis. this has also been going on since the beginning of time as we know it. Nothing new or dire about it.

the Grand Canyon was cut by water, not ice. Ice doesn't cut sheer edges like the canyon has, but rather, U shaped valleys.

Marauderer
June 9th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Thank you for defining that with facts or theories SmokyOkie.;) It is refreshing to deal with fact and data instead of feel good phrases with any meaningful data to back it up.:D

SmokyOkie
June 9th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Thank you for defining that with facts or theories SmokyOkie.;) It is refreshing to deal with fact and data instead of feel good phrases with any meaningful data to back it up.:D

that seems to be about the only things these folks have to offer.:rolleyes:

Marauderer
June 9th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Well, I am going back to the cooking side of the house and post my Mama in Law's Fried Chicken Recipe

Insanity
June 9th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Ya' know, Smoky, there's reason you always respond to my opinions with insults;
"Our friend "Insanity" has several thing confused, and continues to issue staements based on fuzzy infromation."

Now please tell us, just where did the water come from that cut the Grand Canyon. Oh, thats right, it came from the hundreds of tons of melting ice from the previous ice age, didn't it ?
And oh please tell us, just how many ice ages do you think this planet has had, and by what logic have you concluded that we won't have another ?
Its not fiction that we have ice ages, and have had 1,000's of them.

Only fiction around here is that man has only been around for 250,000. Unless of course, you'd like to show any point of reference for your figure.

So please, from now on, just leave my name out of your opinions. I hate having any association with your false facts and attitude.
Thanks~http://www.conforums3.com/boardimages/avatars/kid.gif

SmokyOkie
June 9th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Ya' know, Smoky, there's reason you always respond to my opinions with insults;
"Our friend "Insanity" has several thing confused, and continues to issue staements based on fuzzy infromation."

Now please tell us, just where did the water come from that cut the Grand Canyon. Oh, thats right, it came from the hundreds of tons of melting ice from the previous ice age, didn't it ?
And oh please tell us, just how many ice ages do you think this planet has had, and by what logic have you concluded that we won't have another ?
Its not fiction that we have ice ages, and have had 1,000's of them.

Only fiction around here is that man has only been around for 250,000. Unless of course, you'd like to show any point of reference for your figure.

So please, from now on, just leave my name out of your opinions. I hate having any association with your false facts and attitude.
Thanks~http://www.conforums3.com/boardimages/avatars/kid.gif

Sorry you feel insulted. I don't think I have insulted you, I certainly have not set out to do so, but you have certainly taken license to insult me.

As to my statement of the age of mankind, I am an educated man. I have learned much during my years here on the planet. I cannot even begin to tell you where I have learned what i have, but here is a reference (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071129233440AAad1l2)inre to your question.

You made the statement that the Ice ages carved the grand canyon. I simpley commented that glaciers (ice sheets) do not carve features such as the Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon As we know it was carved by, and continues to be carved by the Colorado River. there are also theories that it was begun much more recently by a tectonic uplift. Here is a resource (among many) (http://www.livescience.com/3089-grand-canyon.html) if you would like to read more on the subject.

I don't believe that I suggested that there would never be another ice age. I (along with the bulk of the scientific community) just don't happen to believe that a new ice age is imminent.

Are you familiar with the fact that the Earth flips over on its axis every so many eons (http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/1967/earths-poles-long-overdue-reversal)? It makes interesting reading if you are not.

The problem I have with your statements is that you spout a bunch of pretty stout stuff without anything other than your statements and suppositions to back it up, and you are factually incorrect or fairly well misleading with a great many of your statements.

I really don't know if you are just mis informed, or is you are one of those that has an agenda like another poster mentioned. Either way, if you want to make definitive statements about controversial scientific issues that affect all of us, you really need to bring a little more ammunition to support your statements.

Now, the question is, can you respond to me without hurling your obvious insults?

Now, I have a deal for you, you don't make any statements and purport them as fact unless you have something credible to back them up and I won't take you to task for making misstatements.

Deal?

Marauderer
June 9th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Now, the question is, can you respond to me without hurling your obvious insults?

Now, I have a deal for you, you don't make any statements and purport them as fact unless you have something credible to back them up and I won't take you to task for making misstatements.

Deal?

Wow, what a great deal. I can't imagine anyone that deals with fact and data would not accept that one!!

Insanity
June 9th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Ahem Smoky,
Twice you have responded to my opinion on the subject with discrediting my comments. Both of which, are the only times I've bothered to respond to you.http://www.smileycons.com/img/classic/0090.gif
Why don't you just make your point, instead of using negative terms in an attempt to discredit others first ? (you needn't answer that, for I already know why you act that way~sad that you don't).http://www.smileycons.com/img/classic/0183.gif

You seem to enjoy finding misinformation to make your point. No matter what links you choose to provide, I (as well as any educated person) knows that mankind has been on Earth for millions of years, not 250,000 years.http://www.smileycons.com/img/classic/0154.gif
If you hadn't taken time to discredit my opinions first, I'd not have bothered to refute your statements.
Since you've not responded to my question of how many ice ages this planet has had, I'll make it easier for you; Just by what process do you think an ice begins ? Only way, is to block out the sun for many years. Nothing else !
Think about it !http://www.smileycons.com/img/classic/0095.gif

SmokyOkie
June 9th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Ahem Smoky,
Twice you have responded to my opinion on the subject with discrediting my comments. Both of which, are the only times I've bothered to respond to you.http://www.smileycons.com/img/classic/0090.gif
Why don't you just make your point, instead of using negative terms in an attempt to discredit others first ? (you needn't answer that, for I already know why you act that way~sad that you don't).http://www.smileycons.com/img/classic/0183.gif

You seem to enjoy finding misinformation to make your point. No matter what links you choose to provide, I (as well as any educated person) knows that mankind has been on Earth for millions of years, not 250,000 years.http://www.smileycons.com/img/classic/0154.gif
If you hadn't taken time to discredit my opinions first, I'd not have bothered to refute your statements.
Since you've not responded to my question of how many ice ages this planet has had, I'll make it easier for you; Just by what process do you think an ice begins ? Only way, is to block out the sun for many years. Nothing else !
Think about it !http://www.smileycons.com/img/classic/0095.gif

I believe that all I did was to make my point. I have thrown no insults and have no need to.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about with your statement about me "acting that way", and I suspect that no one else here has any idea what you are talking about either.

I gave supporting evidence in the way of reference material to back up my statements. I am sorry if you choose not to accept the references that I cited, but I don't really have the time to keep on finding references until I find one that you will accept, nor is it my desire.

Once again, you are making statements and purporting them to be fact with absolutely no supporting evidence. This is not debate, but rather just you shouting out what you think and pouting when no one agrees with you.

If I am wrong, then please take the time to show me where I am wrong and with at least a shred of supporting evidence. Otherwise, please don't insult all of us here with your unfounded statements.

FACT: The bulk of the scientific community does not agree with you that mankind has been o the Earth for millions of years. You may be right, but not many folks agree with your point of view.

Fact: No one has the ability to know how many ice ages the Earth has had.

Fact: Never once did I state that the sun's energy has never been obscured resulting in the lowering of the Earth's temperatures. I merely said that virtually no one in the scientific community thinks that a new ice age is imminent. (Al gore is hardly a member of the scientific community)

Fact: No one has the ability to know how many ice ages the Earth has had.

Fact: If your statements were based in fact, I would not have been able to discredit them.

Exactly what is your agenda here anyway? Are you out to convince folks that man made global warming is about to destroy the world?

Insanity
June 10th, 2011, 12:29 AM
er...Smoky,
I don't know what thread you think you are reading, but your 1st post to me was; "Quite a nice bit of conjecture there. Not based in fact, and not really logical, but an interesting take."
Your 2nd was; "Our friend "Insanity" has several thing confused, and continues to issue staements based on fuzzy infromation."

Please note, you aren't making opinions about my opinions, you're making opinions about me, and directing them to other people. Even now, you state if my statements were based in fact, you wouldn't be able to discredit them.
er...you didn't discredit my facts, you discredited me. You didn't even mention any 'facts'.
So then you ask of my agenda with: "Are you out to convince folks that man made global warming is about to destroy the world?" Hmmm...I've never even mentioned man-made global warming, and never would.
I find it quite amusing how when you grasp a concept, you become stuck with re-enforcing it, whether right or wrong. You don't like being wrong, do you ?
So OK, your answers have become ludicrous. Trust me, I'll not respond to you babble any longer. Trying to reason with you is futile.http://www.smileycons.com/img/classic/0373.gif

Kitchen Witch
June 10th, 2011, 04:46 AM
okay - a good debate is one thing - but let's not get carried away - just respect each other's opinions - and don't forget - when posting on line - many times what is posted is not how it was meant to "sound"
just post your opinions - which are more than welcomed -
thank you

SmokyOkie
June 10th, 2011, 11:43 AM
er...Smoky,
I don't know what thread you think you are reading, but your 1st post to me was; "Quite a nice bit of conjecture there. Not based in fact, and not really logical, but an interesting take."
Your 2nd was; "Our friend "Insanity" has several thing confused, and continues to issue staements based on fuzzy infromation."

Please note, you aren't making opinions about my opinions, you're making opinions about me, and directing them to other people. Even now, you state if my statements were based in fact, you wouldn't be able to discredit them.
er...you didn't discredit my facts, you discredited me. You didn't even mention any 'facts'.
So then you ask of my agenda with: "Are you out to convince folks that man made global warming is about to destroy the world?" Hmmm...I've never even mentioned man-made global warming, and never would.
I find it quite amusing how when you grasp a concept, you become stuck with re-enforcing it, whether right or wrong. You don't like being wrong, do you ?
So OK, your answers have become ludicrous. Trust me, I'll not respond to you babble any longer. Trying to reason with you is futile.http://www.smileycons.com/img/classic/0373.gif

Sir or madam, Per your own quotes, the only statement that I made about you was that you had some things confused, which you obviously do. All the other statements I made were directed at your statements, and not you.

You comment that I posted "to you". If you read your quotes, you will see that I never addressed you, but rather anyone else that might read what you posted. I had no interest in confrontation, nor do I now.

It is obviously a waste of time for you to try and reason with me if your version of reasoning is hurling personal insults such as "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?".

As to not responding to my posts, I think that would have been a good idea from the git go and remains so now.

Thank you.

Kitchen Witch
June 10th, 2011, 11:53 AM
ok - nice, nice from here on in - I respect each of your views and I thank you for posting them

I have stated before - I love a good debate (not a confrontation) and I enjoy reading the different views, facts, etc. that are being posted.

What the heck - isn't the world supposed to end in 2012 anyway? Will any of this matter?

SmokyOkie
June 10th, 2011, 12:48 PM
ok - nice, nice from here on in - I respect each of your views and I thank you for posting them

I have stated before - I love a good debate (not a confrontation) and I enjoy reading the different views, facts, etc. that are being posted.

What the heck - isn't the world supposed to end in 2012 anyway? Will any of this matter?

You got it.;)

Marauderer
February 16th, 2012, 07:32 AM
You know the concentrated effort to sell the general population on Global Warming (GW) has lost its effort. There have been so many scientist that have refuted the overall claims that it is more and more looking like Al Gore and his group were , in affect, running a scam.

Thinking about the ozone layer debacle a few rears ago where refrigerant R-12 was banned and all the automobiles and refrigeration units that had to be modified to accept the new refrigerant. Dupont, the refrigerant manufacturer and the automotive/ home/business HVAC industry made billions of dollars and to this day it has not been proven that the hole in the Ozone layer is smaller and or larger than it was.

Now we have the carbon footprint group selling this idea that it ludicrous. People need oxygen (O2) to survive. Trees need carbon dioxide (CO2) to survive. Reducing the amount of CO2 is going to possibly reduce the amount of O2 available in the Macro Eco system of the planet and cause serious other problem. The thing that makes all of these events suspect is the financial gain that will be made by taxing the citizens of the planet to support these theories.

I sure don't have all the answers but, I know that I am responsible for myself and my own actions and that I should be real careful of forcing unproven ideas on others. Now I am only speaking of myself. And what are my qualifications to make these comments. I have been on the planet for the better part of seven decades an have some education including a Bachelors and Doctorate. Doesn't mean I am any smarter than someone with only a 6th grade education but, I have been exposed to a lot of ideas and things that those without the training get.

The items I have mentioned are only a couple in the vast scheme of ideas and scams that have been run on people since time began. I am most familiar with the ones run in the last 50 yrs.

SmokyOkie
February 16th, 2012, 11:45 AM
You know the concentrated effort to sell the general population on Global Warming (GW) has lost its effort. There have been so many scientist that have refuted the overall claims that it is more and more looking like Al Gore and his group were , in affect, running a scam.

Thinking about the ozone layer debacle a few rears ago where refrigerant R-12 was banned and all the automobiles and refrigeration units that had to be modified to accept the new refrigerant. Dupont, the refrigerant manufacturer and the automotive/ home/business HVAC industry made billions of dollars and to this day it has not been proven that the hole in the Ozone layer is smaller and or larger than it was.

Now we have the carbon footprint group selling this idea that it ludicrous. People need oxygen (O2) to survive. Trees need carbon dioxide (CO2) to survive. Reducing the amount of CO2 is going to possibly reduce the amount of O2 available in the Macro Eco system of the planet and cause serious other problem. The thing that makes all of these events suspect is the financial gain that will be made by taxing the citizens of the planet to support these theories.

I sure don't have all the answers but, I know that I am responsible for myself and my own actions and that I should be real careful of forcing unproven ideas on others. Now I am only speaking of myself. And what are my qualifications to make these comments. I have been on the planet for the better part of seven decades an have some education including a Bachelors and Doctorate. Doesn't mean I am any smarter than someone with only a 6th grade education but, I have been exposed to a lot of ideas and things that those without the training get.

The items I have mentioned are only a couple in the vast scheme of ideas and scams that have been run on people since time began. I am most familiar with the ones run in the last 50 yrs.

Very well said my friend. As with all scams of this grand nature, just follow the money and it will tell the story. Unfortunately, there are more "Chicken Littles" out there than is good for society.

Marauderer
February 16th, 2012, 12:27 PM
<<Unfortunately, there are more "Chicken Littles" out there than is good for society.>> Its has been this way since the beginning of time. Society always destroys those that really protect them.

pickman
February 16th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Agreed the money drives most everything in our country and the world. I am sure everyone has noticed when there is a report about a shortage of something and of course the media pumps it up. When they get the price of the product up where they want you can get all you want. Fancy that. Anyway yes Al Gore ran a scam on us, and it did get him the award. He lies when he says he is a green person, he wastes more than all of us put together.

Another thing I have read that gasoline consumption is actually down due to the slow economy, conservation and more fuel efficient autos. So as I understand the rule of supply and demand prices should be going down and not up. The reason is the big greedy oil companies, and a lot of people in Washington are in bed with them. So you think they are going to encourage alternative energy sources? I probably won't live to see it.

Also big corporations are running this country, and they have huge influence on the politicians. The big reason our economy is in bad shape is the corps are reaping exorbitant profits.

Kitchen Witch
February 16th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Also big corporations are running this country, and they have huge influence on the politicians. The big reason our economy is in bad shape is the corps are reaping exorbitant profits.

TRUER WORDS WERE NEVER SAID!

SmokyOkie
February 16th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I don't know how to tell you guys, but petroleum is a publicly traded commodity. In other words, the oil companies are incapable of controlling the price of it. It is easier to harbor resentment towards a small group than to do otherwise. I understand this, but demand is what drives the price up.

There are other things beside usage that drive demand. For instance, fear that Iran will throttle or at least greatly derease the flow through the strait of Hormuz.

The fact that Iran shut off the supply line to The Netherlands, Spain, Italy, France, Greece and Portugal, has driven them to the spot market for other suppliers has also driven demand up.

Please don't hate the oil companies. They are only the middle men when it comes to prices. In comparison, by percentage, their mark ups are minuscule compared to most other businesses, and as well, they are only doing what their investors demand of them...making money. If you have a mutual fund, you are the owner of the oil companies.

pickman
February 16th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I agree with everything you said except the minuscule mark up (Exxon profit, how many billion?) . I understand how the stock market plays into it and uncertainty of the market. But what you did not mention is all the under the table money that we know happens but we can't prove it. Regardless of your opinion, the oil companies have a lot of control of the market. And if you noticed I am blaming politicians as well. What you don't seem to understand is average Joe doesn't have a mutual fund.

This is a good debate, keep it going. I am an educated person as well. No dart throwing please, you will find I can't spell worth a flip but I am a worthy opponent. Sad thing is when I was in grade school I won a spelling bee.

Marauderer
February 16th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Yes Exxon had a huge dollar amount profit but, the net profit for the gross sales was very low. Most other businesses couldn't survive in the market with that low a markup. But they make it up on the volume. Wow, there are so many things that affects the fuel prices most which totally defy common sense.

Marauderer
February 16th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Since we also talk food around here I think I will fix my classic fried shrimp with my special recipe tartar sauce, hush puppies and tossed salad tomorrow night.

Maybe get out a bottle of my Liebfraumilch wine I bottled last August, it is developing well.

And for conversation maybe we will discuss the world energy situation and how the capitalists and communists have distorted what shouldn't be an issue.

gavind
June 7th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Hi. Is your recipe for Tartar sauce being posted here? I would like to try it if it's posted somewhere. https://imagicon.info/cat/15-25/icon_smile.gif

almonds
June 8th, 2012, 02:41 AM
There is NO GLOBAL WARMING, just a lot of money being spent on the thought of it.

If you check statistics going back, all weather repeats itself in cycles. It's nature.

I sure wouldn't mind sitting on some panel, discussing global warming at tax payers expense! That's global warming...warming the posteriors. Check history! Look for "year of the drought", "floods", year of the locusts...it's a natural cycle, right now we're caught in a transition stage. Ask any REAL certified meteorologist, not ones on a government payroll, they'll tell you...weather repeats itself which is why they can verify normals for the average temps & precipitation per day , month, & annual.

Al Gore & his dissertation on global warming & winning a Nobel Prize for it is about as stupid as Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize 5 weeks after he took office for doing absolutely nothing but then went on a killing spree & started a war. It's all politics people...and a big waste of tax payer $$$.

lvdkeyes
June 8th, 2012, 03:21 AM
What war did Obama start?

Kitchen Witch
June 8th, 2012, 04:23 AM
I think the "war" Obama started is what has happened to our country since he took office - all the internal conflicts, etc. about his handling of so many things he knows nothing about. Just my opinion.

John Lynch
June 8th, 2012, 05:57 AM
yes. because of so much plastic garbage that being burnt it causes the layer to be burnt too.

lvdkeyes
June 8th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I really have to lay the blame where it belongs - with GW Bush. When he took office the US had a surplus, when he left office we had a huge deficit, partially caused by the two wars he started. Obama inherited an enormous mess and although he may not have cleaned it up, I seriously doubt anyone could have cleaned it up in time he has been in office.

almonds
June 8th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Oh please! Obama stated when campaigning that if he couldn't fix the problems he'd be a one term preezy. Guess what? He lied about that too.

Now he's blaming Europe for the problems in the US, guess he's blamed too much on Bush already & needs another scapegoat.

As far as HIS war, he went into Libya without the consent of Congress. As a former constitutional law professor (questionable?) he is supposed to know that it takes an act of Congress to commit the nation to a nondefensive war. Under the Constitution this is NOT one man's call.

Yes, he's started wars right in our own back yards, race, women's rights (that kind of fell by the wayside), his so called stimulus plans that added to our deficit. Now he's running around with Hollywood people (we all know they live in fantasy land), raising funds for his re-election when he should concentrate on his day job.

Now he's claiming he's created a bazillion "green" jobs when he counts the bus driver as a green employee, he counts the people working in a bicycle shop as green employees & on & on.

Wake up, this guy just wants to play golf & entertain & be entertained in lavish style. Someone on his staff should tell him to stop pointing his finger & shaking it at the people & turn it around & point at himself.

By the way, his little skirmish that he sent the US to without approval cost the US another $896 million, check the facts.

He might talk a good talk about nothing but he knows nothing about reality....and without his teleprompter he couldn't even do that.

OK, back to cooking & recipes...

lvdkeyes
June 9th, 2012, 01:58 AM
"his so called stimulus plans that added to our deficit."

That stimulus package was in the making before he was elected. Bush and his boys conceived that idea.

Kitchen Witch
June 9th, 2012, 07:19 AM
the stimulus did not go to the people (that $250 check once a year - like that would actually jump start the economy - all it did was help many catch up on past utilities to avoid shut off or put food on the table - even though the "heads" in Congress accused everyone of going to WalMart to buy a coffee pot with it!) but it went into the pockets of the big CEO's and many were allowed to retire with millions of dollars for their personal use (nothing like getting out when the getting was good)

that money could have really jump started the economy if the people would have gotten it - someone wrote that the money Obama laid out was enough to give every person well over $500,000 - imagine many being able to buy homes, avoid foreclosure, buy cars, take vacations (preferably in America to keep the money here), pay off students loans or get an education, possibly getting many off welfare by allowing them to stand on their own, or get much needed medical attention - and so on......

mastermind1212
December 26th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I not heard about global warming. I know only thing is that, water level or earth is increasing and the hole in ozone layer is continuously widening.

bbrasel
November 22nd, 2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks for this topic.I learn many things from this topic