View Full Version : Olde World Cooking

Kitchen Witch
September 26th, 2007, 10:06 AM
This thread is for all those really old recipes brought over by our ancestors many years ago.

Kitchen Witch
September 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I feel very fortunate to have met all the wonderful old country cooks and bakers in this life time. I have mnay recipes to share from them and I hope that you enjoy them too!

KW

Kitchen Witch
September 26th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Perogies - Ukranian recipe
This recipe was given to my grandmother many, many years ago. I have worked the measurements for this -

Make filling:
Combine 1 c. grated cheese (Cheddar) with 1 qt. (4 c.) hot mashed potatoes; set aside.

Make dough:
Beat 1 large egg; add 1 c. water and 2 T. cooking oil (veggie oil); add roughly 3 c. flour and 1 t. salt; knead into a soft dough; turn bowl over to cover dough on board and let set for 10 minutes.

Roll on floured board, cut with 2 ½ - 3-inch biscuit cutter; re-roll scraps and continue.

Place 1 T. filling in center of each; fold over; crimp edges to seal (water may be necessary).

Drop into boiling water (bring water to a boil, add salt, wait for the water to return to a full boil and then drop in perogi). Cook until done - 7 - 10 minutes depending on size; drain; toss with oil and saute in fry pan or cool and refrigerate and fry later. (Yes, these can be made ahead.)

Kitchen Witch
September 26th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Treacle Tart
A dear family friend is from England and came here during WWII after he and his family were bombed out of 3 homes. This is one of their family favorites:

Place 6 T. "Golden Syrup" (light molasses) in a small saucepan with 2 oz. fresh white bread crumbs, grated rind from 1 lemon and 1 t. fresh squeezed lemon juice. Heat gently to melt; cool.

Roll short crust pastry and line 8-inch pie plate; pour in syrup mixture. With remaining pastry, roll and cut into strips for lattice topping.

Bake in hot oven - 400* F. - 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

You can use honey in place of the Golden Syrup or maple syrup or corn syrup.

Chilton
December 21st, 2009, 03:35 PM
This is a very old family recipe from Gramma's family. I haven't ever seen a recipe like it. Gramma only made this for dinner on "Green Thursday" aka Maundy Thursday; the Thursday before Good Friday. I still make this almost every year.

Maultatschen & Noodle Dough

1 Pound of fresh Spinach, raw
1 Large handful of fresh Parsley, raw
2 Slices of Stale Bread
1 Pound of Pork Sausage, raw
4 eggs
1 small Onion, chopped very fine (or use onion powder)
2 tsp Salt
½ tsp Pepper
4 Tbsp Flour
Dry Bread Crumbs

Place a very large bowl under the end of a meat grinder. Run the spinach and the parsley through the meat grinder. Run the stale bread through the meat grinder last to force out all the spinach. To the bowl add the pork sausage, eggs, onion, salt, pepper, and flour and mix well (I use my hands for this). Make sure the pork sausage is well incorporated and not in any big clumps. Use only enough dry bread crumbs to make the filling rather dry. Set aside. Put a very large pot of salted water (about 2/3 full) on the stove to boil. While waiting for it to come to a full rolling boil, make the noodle dough.

2 Cups of All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Butter
3 Eggs
2 Tbsp Lukewarm Water, if needed

Melt the butter and beat it into the eggs. Put the flour and salt into a large bowl making a well in the center. Into the well, pour the beaten eggs/butter to the flour/salt. Start mixing. (I use my hands for this.) If the dough feels too dry, add a little bit of water at a time until it is right. Divide the dough into halves or thirds, whatever is manageable when rolling out. Using a minimum of flour, roll the dough out fairly thin into a sheet that is roughly rectangular. Wet one long edge about 1 to 1½ inches wide with water and spread a corresponding percentage of filling over the dough, leaving the wet edge uncoated. It should not be more than about a ¼ of an inch thick. Starting with the edge opposite the wet one, roll up the dough and filling jelly roll style. Cut the roll into 1 to 1½ inch wide pieces. Lightly flour a large tray and place the pieces on the tray until all the dough and filling has been rolled and cut. Carefully drop the pieces into the boiling water while maintaining the boil. They will sink to the bottom and then rise to the top as they start to cook. Once all are in, maintain a slow boil/simmer and cook the Maultatschen for 30 minutes after they rise to the top of the pot. (Gramma said they were done when they rose to the top; but because there is raw pork in them, Mom and I let them cook for 30 minutes after they rise to the top.)

Serve while hot with caramelized onions. (Slice large, sweet onions and separate into rings. Cook slowly in plenty of butter until golden and caramelized.)

Leftovers may be cut into smaller pieces and pan fried in butter until warm and a little crusty (or they can be warmed in the microwave or a steamer if you don’t like pan fried noodles).

Crystalia
January 1st, 2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks, Chilton. I have added this recipe to my collection. I really like a lot of the old family recipes from fellow members. :)

sirfuller
January 2nd, 2010, 03:37 AM
Here's a recipe that has been a staple in my family for years. My great aunt has been making it for as long as I can remember. It's perfect for parties and potluck dinners -- you can make it and throw it in a slow cooker then off you go! It's a perfect side dish but also could serve as an entree if you add ham.

Haluski

1 stick butter
1 head green cabbage, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 package of egg noodles, cooked
salt

- Melt butter in a pot. Add cabbage and onion. Cook until cabbage has shrunken and is cooked through. This usually takes about 30 minutes.

- Mix in the noodles. Add salt to taste. I usually add the salt liberally because that is the key to this dish.

Kitchen Witch
January 24th, 2010, 08:17 AM
chris - we share recipes here on site - why don't you share too?

mitchellpk123
June 19th, 2010, 01:45 AM
This is a very old family recipe Gramma family.I have never seen a recipe like.Gramma only made this dinner for the Green and also known as Holy Thursday.I still do almost every year.I have added this recipe to my collection. I really like a lot of the old family recipes.

kattima
July 19th, 2010, 01:53 AM
A Tagine is a vessel of cookware found mainly in North African countries such as Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria. With the cone shaped lid, moister keeps food moist and juice and the base can be used as a serving dish. Try this delicious dish and find out how easy it is to make an amazing meal with a Tagine.

Lamb Tagine with prunes and almonds:

- 2.5 lbs lamb shoulder, cut into pieces

- 1 lb dried prunes

- 2 cups whole almonds

- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds

- 4 hard boiled eggs

- 3 onions, chopped

- 4 gloves minced garlic

- 2 teaspoons cinnamon

- 4 cinnamon sticks

- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger

- 1 teaspoon cumin

- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley

- ½ teaspoon saffron

- 1 teaspoon coriander

- 4 tablespoons peanut oil

- 1 tablespoon butter

- 4 tablespoons caster sugar

- Salt and pepper

In your hot Emile Henry Tagine, fry the pieces of lamb in the oil and butter, adding the onions, garlic, half the powdered cinnamon, ginger saffron, cumin, parsley, coriander, salt and pepper. When the meat is golden, add three glass of water, cover and cook for 45 minutes at 35o degrees. Add a little water during cooking if necessary. Stir regularly.

As the Tagine is cooking, fry the sesame seeds without any oil. Cook the almonds in boiling water for 15 minutes and take off the outer skin and fry them in a little oil until golden.

After 30 minutes, take a little sauce from the Tagine and put into a saucepan and add the dried prunes, the rest of the dried cinnamon, cinnamon sticks, sugar and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Drain the prunes and remove the cinnamon sticks.

Once the meat is cooked and the sauce is reduced, add the prunes and sprinkle the sesame seeds and almonds over the top. Cut the hard boiled eggs in half and arrange them around the edge. Place server directly to the table and enjoy.

lvdkeyes
March 31st, 2012, 01:14 AM
Tell us more, Chris. Idiot!

Kitchen Witch
March 31st, 2012, 05:58 AM
Chris is gone - nothing to contribute. All deleted.

lvdkeyes
March 31st, 2012, 08:46 AM
Bye Bye Chris.

Kitchen Witch
March 31st, 2012, 08:50 AM
Bye Bye Chris.

I think you will miss him - - - NOT!

lvdkeyes
March 31st, 2012, 10:25 AM
How did you guess?

Kitchen Witch
March 31st, 2012, 10:31 AM
female intuition.................

aileendee
May 22nd, 2012, 09:25 PM
How about Anzac Biscuits? They've been around for ever. They date back to 1915 (during World War I) when soldiers' wives and relatives in New Zealand Australia would make and send the biscuits to those serving overseas. They were cheap to make, didn't perish and didn't need keeping cold since they contain no eggs or milk. And being quick and easy to make they were ideal things to send. Anzac biscuits were renamed from Soldier Biscuits after the landing of Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZACs) in Gallipoli on the coast of Turkey.
Or so it says when I was looking for a good Anzac Recipe here (http://www.thebiscuitsblog.com/chewy-anzac-biscuits/)

Kitchen Witch
May 23rd, 2012, 03:29 AM
I have several - here's one -

4.4 ounces or 125 g butter
2 Tbs golden syrup
1/2 half tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 Tbs of boiling water
1 cup of rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1 cup castor sugar (or other sweetener)
3/4 cup of shredded coconut

Combine butter and syrup in medium pan. Stir over heat
until butter is melted. Stir in combined bicarb of soda
and water, then the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Drop
rounded teaspoons of mixture about 4 cm (1.5 inches)
apart on greased oven trays. Flatten them slightly. Bake
at 150 c (302 F) for about 20 minutes or until golden
brown. Cool on trays. Makes about 40.

Bill not a chef
September 10th, 2012, 06:52 PM
How about a thread for Russian cuisine?

Kitchen Witch
September 11th, 2012, 06:22 AM
How about a thread for Russian cuisine?

You got it! Post away - and thank you for sharing!

LizzieG
May 26th, 2017, 06:38 AM
How about a thread for Hungarian cuisine? Thank you to sirfuller for the recipe for Halushki - it's basically the same as my Hungarian Grandmother's recipe for Galushka. My mom made it frequently on Fridays or on laundry day when she didn't have time for fancier dishes.