View Full Version : What's the best diet plan? Atkins, Weight Watchers, TeamDiets.com etc

TeamChef
April 1st, 2004, 02:32 PM
Cast your vote on the most effective diet plan.

Must be registered in the forum to vote. Please click register on the menu bar at the top to register. Email addresses and other information can be kept anonomous

oldrocker
April 1st, 2004, 07:00 PM
I believe that counting fat grams is the best, and healthiest way to control weight. After having a heart attack, dieticians from the hospital worked with me to show me how to portion foods and how to check labels in stores for the 'fat grams per serving' listing. Has helped to control both weight and chlestorol. :lol:

flyer
April 1st, 2004, 09:17 PM
The best plan depends on your lifestyle and what you like to eat. Any of the listed plans works if followed... I think the hard part is sticking to a plan for a long period of time.

Counting fat grams is fine if you just care about weight, not body composition.

Elizabeth
April 1st, 2004, 10:40 PM
I am a "card-carrying" weight watchers (a little over my goal weight at the moment), but I have always found WW to be the best, easiest and healthiest diet -or as they call it a "live-it", not a "diet".

shirley tyler
April 2nd, 2004, 08:22 AM
My Doctor will only allow me to be on Weight Watchers. I have been on program for over 30 years. This is a way of life not a diet.

eldridge
April 2nd, 2004, 02:31 PM
Diets only work temporarily unless you stay on it for all your life.

I have been overweight most of my adult life (now 60) and have done many diets including the present fad diet, Atkins, when he first came out with it 30 years ago. I always gained the weight back. Now I'm a diabetic and have to watch what I eat.

As a result, I am losing weight not counting calories, carbs, or fat grams although I do pay attention to these as well as cholesterol and sodium. I'm doing it by changing my eating habits. I'm not hungry and am getting healthier every day. The biggest change is eating less and the best exercise is pushing myself away from the table.

DebB
April 4th, 2004, 06:53 PM
If you have "Somersize" (Suzanne Somers) on your list, I would have voted for that. I've been SSing for over 3 years now, lost 95# and am at goal. I never would have thought we could eat all the delicious food that we do and lose weight. *Ü*

Anonymous
April 8th, 2004, 09:13 AM
I've tried several of those diets and they never worked for me. Then I tried using "Carb Block 265" and I've lost over 30 pounds in 3 1/2 months.

These carb blocking pills are the best kept secret in my opinion. But don't take my word for it - see for yourself:

http://partnerweekly.com/click2.php?id=403&bid=4267

Anonymous
May 5th, 2004, 06:09 PM
where do you buy the carb block

Anonymous
July 21st, 2004, 11:33 AM
There is only one way to effectivly lose weight, and that is to take in fewer calories than you use in a day.

anniniowa
August 4th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Has anyone tried cortislim? If so, what do you think?

Anonymous
November 5th, 2004, 09:25 PM
The best weight loss plan I have ever found is Medifast. It is a balanced plan designed for maxium weight loss while getting your body all the nutrition and vitiams it needs. I was impressed by all the studys done at John Hopkins Medical Center and how it helps diabetics. I rate this program five stars *****.

Anonymous
November 24th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Atkins.Because most people that are extremely over weight are insulin resisitant. :D

Brackman
January 6th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Just keep exercising America! That is the key! :wink:

TerrieLee66
January 20th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Why isn't there an "other" option box to check? There are more ways to lose weight than the options provided.

Kitchen Witch
January 20th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Not everyone can follow some of the diets that are out there. And let's face it - dieting and diet plans are big money for these companies.

The best way to lose weight is to watch what you are eating - eat healthy foods and even measure/weigh your food if you have to. By doing that - you would be surprised at what portions you are really allowed!

Also watch your sodium and fats.

But most of all - MOVE! That's right - walk. Do housework. Move around. Park a bit further at the supermarket - those few extra steps are good for you.

Don't set your goals to where you won't be able to attain it.

Will you be deprived - not really. If you go to a birthday party - have a small piece of cake. That will satisfy you. But then again - what satisfies you??? Not a whole cake I hope. Or a whole bag of cookies. Or a half gallon of ice cream. Lear portion control and you can eat anything you want.

And the more you move - the better you will feel.

And how much do you want to lose??? No matter what the number is - pace yourself at 5 pounds at a time. It is much easier to lose 5 pounds than it is to lose 35 pounds. And it is much less discouraging. Lose the first 5. Then you can lose 5 again. And again.

Learn deep breathing and meditation - it will also help.

And don't get discouraged - how long did it take for you to gain it? And how long have you had it??? It will take time - but if done in a healthy way - and you begin a healthier lifstyle - there is a good chance it will stay off.

Penny1218
January 21st, 2006, 03:54 AM
Diet is a 4 letter word. Lifestyle change is better. You didn't put your weight on overnight and it will take longer than that to take it off. I have been on the yo-yo route for so long and at 43 it's much more difficult to take it off and have it stay off now. But I have learned that with a lifestyle change, baby steps, and perseverence (and a good buddy ;) ) it's possible.

matt07
November 26th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Diet is a 4 letter word. Lifestyle change is better. You didn't put your weight on overnight and it will take longer than that to take it off. I have been on the yo-yo route for so long and at 43 it's much more difficult to take it off and have it stay off now. But I have learned that with a lifestyle change, baby steps, and perseverence (and a good buddy ;) ) it's possible.

This is very true. Changing your lifestyle will provide much more benefits than a diet would.

Charlotte Groth
November 27th, 2007, 11:16 PM
At least for myself, I've found that the additives and preservatives in foods cause me to crave. Never fails. If I avoid these things, I lose weight. I gained 7 ::shudder:: lbs over Thanksgiving. Its only Tuesday, and I have four off. I know its only water so far, but the point is--it stays off. I eat PLENTY! Just make sure..its real, unmodified food.

matt07
November 28th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Indeed. It's definitely important to eat. Starving yourself and skipping meals will cause your metabolism to slow and your body will essentially go into "starvation" mode, which will cause the food that you eat to be stored. Don't skip meals and remember, eat until you're not hungry, not until you're full!

Nacheyo
January 17th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I find when I follow the DASH plan I feel alot better and tend to lose a bit of the stored up fat I have. I can't get away from eating meat so it's hard. I usually just try to eat more Japanese style food. It usually healthier as well.

pmuhlhan
January 20th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Matt07,

You hit the nail on the head. Starvation is the worst thing a person can do. I believe in small meals throughout the day. It keeps my body moving in all respects (physically and metabolically). Eating to the full level is so uncomfortable for me...it slows me down.

My husband was on the Atkins diet a few years ago and he lost a lot of weight. In my opinion, too much. Long story short, when he stop the diet and returned to a fairly regular/normal diet, he gained the lost weight back and about 25 more pounds.

Paula

Team-Chefs
January 20th, 2008, 10:05 AM
That's right - check out my free weightloss report with celebrity fitness guru Greg Alario, it's a real eye opener: Real Diet Secrets - Free Report (http://www.realdietsecrets.com)

esl101
February 11th, 2008, 05:10 PM
If you have "Somersize" (Suzanne Somers) on your list, I would have voted for that. I've been SSing for over 3 years now, lost 95# and am at goal. I never would have thought we could eat all the delicious food that we do and lose weight. *Ü*

I have to agree. Somersizing works for me, even better than Atkins!

SkeeterN
March 6th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Atkins saved my life. Seriously and I am not joking. For 30 years I was bulimic and tried every diet on the planet and to lose one pound I would have to starve myself to 500 calories a day or puke all my food not as a binge as they say bulimia is but to try and lose weight or not gain it back. I am very short only 4'11 and to eat like a normal person I would gain so fast it wasn't funny as I had destroyed my metabolism.
Four years ago I thought about going on the Atkins as I wanted to lose weight fast. I got the book and began to read it. (The single most important thing before beginning any low carb program) Wow this made more sense than anything I have ever read. I realized that this couldn't be a diet for me but I had to change my way of eating for life.

My husband and I went on this together. I lost 50 pounds and he lost 80. This took rather very little time to lose it too. Yes right at first you do have goofy breath but it's ketosis where your body is actually burning the fat up. You lose fat on this way of eating more than muscle like you do when you starve yourself.

It isn't all about eating fat as many will try and tell you. It isn't unhealthy either, isn't bad on your kidneys and Dr. Atkins did not die of a heart attack but from a fall on the ice on his head. He did not have high cholesterol and his company went bankrupt due to promoting high priced junk food he never agreed with but they put his name on. I have never eaten so healthy in my life or felt so wonderful. For 4 years I have never made myself vomit once or felt the need too. I can eat and eat as much as I want until I am comfortably full. I never have had to count calories, portions, eat only celery or salads, but real food!

To me if there could be a perfect way of eating this is it. But you have to decide before beginning this that those high carb’s aren't worth it. If you approach this as you’re depriving yourself you will never stick with it. It's all about substitutions. I want a piece of cake; I make a cheesecake with walnuts for the crust instead of graham crackers and splenda in place of the sugar. Very legal on and I will not gain weight.

I have weighed 110 for over 4 years, a perfect weight in my mind for a 49 year old woman.

MRSJGKENT
June 18th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I have found a wonderful web site that has help me to loose 35lbs.It is Sparkpeople.com. It is free It has tickers to keep up with your food and fittness. It is wonderful. Give it a try you will see diet is not the way to go but a life style of good food and fitness is! :rolleyes:

Kitchen Witch
July 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM
TEAMDIETS.COM!

Much cheaper than WW, Jenny Craig, etc. and there is so much support and individualized attention!

Stop by and join us!

Breathnach
August 5th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Imo, the best diet plan is mine. Become a kickboxer, train twice a day 6 days a week, fight, get injuries, heal, and lose weight along the way! but for those who want the less violent approach, it's all about beating calories in my opinon. Use my calories than you consume to eliminate fat, or if that's too hard, just watch your portions! I;ve seen too many people thinking they're on a healthy diet (Which they are) yet wonder why the aren't losing weight - and it's ALWAYS portion size.

Kitchen Witch
August 5th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I've been saying it for years - eat EVERYTHING in moderation! And get off your duff and move - even walking.

And you will be much healthier!

Smylinatya
August 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM
I think as soon as the word "diet" is entered into ANYTHING you are doomed,you will fail!
The way to go now is "anything in moderation"Moderation is the key word,but your food intake Must be balanced so that you get all you need from it,including complex carbohydrates,fibre,vitamins and minerals.
This is my opinion only and it works for me!

toliolo889
December 7th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Cast your vote on the most effective diet plan.

Must be registered in the forum to vote. Please click register on the menu bar at the top to register. Email addresses and other information can be kept anonomous

I am trying to follow this, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Could someone explain me?

================================================== ================

Visit My Website! Dallas Gastric Bypass Lawyer (http://www.DallasGastricBypassSurgery.com)

lvdkeyes
December 7th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I think as soon as the word "diet" is entered into ANYTHING you are doomed,you will fail!
The way to go now is "anything in moderation"Moderation is the key word,but your food intake Must be balanced so that you get all you need from it,including complex carbohydrates,fibre,vitamins and minerals.
This is my opinion only and it works for me!

As a retired Registered Nurse I can attest to the fact that this is the most sensible approach to weight control.

Eating smaller frequent meals helps too, and, of course, exercise and lots of water.

quiff
February 8th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I did best with Atkins. BUT - it isn't feed your face and eat all you want. It still boils down to calories in < calories out. Atkins satisfied my appetite but I still had to restrict my intake. Problem is - I LOVE GOOD FOOD!
Mini meals of protein was best.

audreyograham@yah
June 13th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I have lost 21 pounds in just 3 month...All I did was watch my portions. I exersised 1 day a week that's it!!!! My doctor was impressed and I gave myself a pat on the back....

Kitchen Witch
June 13th, 2009, 02:49 PM
congrats audrey and welcome! you did it the healthy and safe way!

fuji24
July 6th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I accept that counting fat grams is the best, and healthiest way to ascendancy weight. After accepting a affection attack, dieticians from the hospital formed with me to appearance me how to allocation foods and how to analysis labels in food for the 'fat grams per serving' listing. Has helped to ascendancy both weight and chlestorol.

Kitchen Witch
July 6th, 2009, 10:58 AM
The best diet is the one on Best Weight Loss Program | Lose Belly Fat (http://www.truthaboutdiets.com)
It's very sensible, motivating and effective.

amandalane
July 17th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I have found a wonderful web site that has help me to loose 35lbs.It is Sparkpeople.com. It is free It has tickers to keep up with your food and fittness. It is wonderful. Give it a try you will see diet is not the way to go but a life style of good food and fitness is! :rolleyes:

I really enjoy Sparkpeople also. They have a great site, tons of information and tools to help you lose weight, get fit and healthy. The fact that it's free is fantastic!

Kimoppi
August 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I don't understand why "diet" was turned into such a dirty word. The term "diet" really only refers to the foods eaten by a particular person or group. Poor diet... it's not your fault people hate you. ;)

Anyhoo... I have found that the best eating plan (diet) for me is South Beach Diet. I absolutely love it. It works really well when you follow it. South Beach is the only diet where I really thought about what I was eating as more than points or fat grams or calories. Even better, I FEEL better when I'm following it. It's a bit hard to describe, but I have more energy and I also have fewer muscle problems when I'm exercising. I'm not sure if that's because of the diet, but it is something I notice.

The biggest problem is the cost of the food. Fresh veggies, fish, and white meat are more expensive. I fell off the South Beach wagon because money got too tight to follow it properly, and because my fiance doesn't eat ANYTHING healthy and we couldn't afford for me to cook separate meals for each of us.