View Full Version : Reflections on the Hurricane Katrina Disaster

TeamChef
September 6th, 2005, 01:04 PM
There has been much discussion in the media about the 2005 natural disaster better known as Hurricane Katrina.

One of our forum members mentioned to me that this would make an interesting discussion in our forum. Let's see how it goes.

This is a very emotional subject so please be respectful.

Please log in to cast your vote in response to our poll question:

How was the Katrina disaster handled?

Feel free to also reply to this post and voice your opinion.

edgmondl
September 6th, 2005, 03:03 PM
New Orleans area government officials started this fiasco rolling when they failed to have an evacuation plan in effect that provided transportation to the known 100-150 thousand people without their own way out of the area. Public transportation and school busses should have been used to get people out. The tragic and unneccesary scene that is playing out should never have been required to begin with as far as rescue and body recovery. The people should have beed required to leave the area. Hospitals and assisted living facilities should also have evacuated the patients and residents before the problems occurred. Everyone can scream about how slow help is to come but it wasn't even possible to get into the area with conventional transportation until paths could be cleared. America and americans are doing the most they possibly can - come more than others. We need to quit the blame and name calling and dig deep to help those who are unable to help themselves through no fault of their own.

sanzave
September 6th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I think the government did a horrible job of reacting to the disaster causing hundreds if not thousands of people their lives.

Most of the individuals who died were poor people who could not afford to leave the state in advance.

A high percentage of them aren't voters anyway so who cares right? Obviously not the government!

Firefly
September 6th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Well, I am Canadian, and Our government officials had all the reserves and planes ready to go as soon as we all knew of the devestation.(the next morning)
Bush said "No thank you".
This happened to many other countries also.

And then it took them 5 days to get help in there. No reason for this at all.

owllady8
September 6th, 2005, 03:23 PM
My sister lives in Magee Missippi and even the local officials in the town she lives in did not request help until about 4 days after the storm. She is 120 miles inland so the situation there was not quite as bad but they were without food and water along with the rest of the coast. People are now coming in with some food and water but you have to have cash to get it and at this point, being the first of the month all their money is sitting in a bank somewhere and they have no access to it. she has a debit card and a check book which does her and her family no good because there is no access to cash machines right now and no one will accept checks. But Thank God they are ok and my prayers are with the familys that have lost loved ones.

rrbscott
September 6th, 2005, 03:23 PM
The response to help the people affected by Hurrican Katrina is atrocious!! Whoever is in charge of getting the help to the people should be fired on the spot! Fema is a waste of time!! People here in Florida are having to sue Fema because they're still living in trailers after the hurricane's last year! Here it's hurricane season again and people in Florida still haven't got their houses fixed from last year and now those poor people in New Orleans who have suffered for close to a week after the storm before help comes! My heart goes out to them!! Fema knew this storm was big and there was going to be major damage from it and they wait almost a week after the storm! They should have been waiting with supplies for the storm to pass and get right in there with aid!!! There have been senseless deaths due to this!!![/list]

MarkII
September 6th, 2005, 03:55 PM
New Orleans area government officials started this fiasco rolling when they failed to have an evacuation plan in effect that provided transportation to the known 100-150 thousand people without their own way out of the area. Public transportation and school busses should have been used to get people out. The tragic and unneccesary scene that is playing out should never have been required to begin with as far as rescue and body recovery. The people should have beed required to leave the area. Hospitals and assisted living facilities should also have evacuated the patients and residents before the problems occurred. Everyone can scream about how slow help is to come but it wasn't even possible to get into the area with conventional transportation until paths could be cleared. America and americans are doing the most they possibly can - come more than others. We need to quit the blame and name calling and dig deep to help those who are unable to help themselves through no fault of their own.

Edgmond1 had it exactly right. The City of New Orleans lays in ruins today because of the corruption and greed of the Mayor and City Council. DO NOT blame the Federal Government for this hideous screwup. For several reasons, like; No human being, be they President, Senator, Chief Justice or Director of Homeland Security can do a damned thing about the path a hurricane chooses to follow. Contrary to what the hysterical, duplicitous, Radical Left, Bush-haters scream at you, George W. Bush did not huff and puff and blow down all of those houses - alone or with others to help; New Orleans has had an evacuation plan as long as 12 years ago and have made improvements ever since. Truth is the venial Mayor of New Orleans didn't give a damn, and no doubt hoped a LOT of white people would be killed if the hurricane hit N..O.; The Governor - as equally corrupt as the Mayor - was totally indifferent and deliberately withheld relief agencies from entering the area until it was too late for many to survive. These are the TRUTHS about Katrina's effect on the Gulf Coast.

ohiobarb42
September 6th, 2005, 05:20 PM
I am sad to say that the entire handling of this disaster, except for the Red Cross and the Salvation Army, was a travesty. I used to be in rescue work and know that FEMA used to be a very compentent and tremendous agency. Since it was consolidated with the Homeland Security Dept, it has become inept and ineffectual. Had they still been an entity unto their own as before, this would have never happened. Also, the city, states and federal goverments let down all those people in a huge way. Now they will have to atone for what they DIDN'T do in the past that could have prevented a large amount of this problem. Plus, there were too many Chiefs and not enough Indieans, so to speak. Everyone wanted to give their news conferences and be seen in the devastated areas. but you didn't see them really doing anything. Now is not the time for show-boating. ALL GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS, GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY AND START REALLY HELPING!!!!!! There was NO excuse for all those stranded, elderly, infirm people and ones who weren't in that shape, to die like they did. Some of those nursing homes and hospices and assisted living homes should have been the first to be looked into. The powers to be in this country need to hang their heads in shame for what they allowed to happen after this disaster. Makes you wonder what would happen if the US as attacked or has a huge terrorist attack, doesn't it? IT'S REALLY SCARY TO THINK ABOUT THE CONSEQUENSES.[/size]

tootsy118
September 6th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I think the city was very slow in evacuating the city, the first call for help should have been local leaders, then the state, and then the federal government should have stepped in. I blame the local and state more than then the federal government, they knew what the area would withstand muck more than Washington DC :?

JudieZ
September 6th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I lived in New Orleans 45 years ago and at that time was told that if a major hurricane hit the city we would be under 18 feet of water. Just what did the city and/or state government do for the past 45 years? Was there NO disaster preparedness? NO evacuation plan? NO plan "B" in case a levee did not hold? NO plans for accomodating the thousands of people who could not get out of the city? And when Katrina was forcast to most probably hit the city with at least a Cat. 4 hurricane, just what did the so-called Mayor do? Ordered the people to go to the Superdome WITHOUT planning for and providing any provisions or sanitary facilities when he knew they would be there several days at the very least. He could have bussed many thousands of people out of the city proper to dry land and safety from the floods. There are pictures of both city and school busses parked in lots going nowhere. This would not only have saved lives, but saved the busses from being ruined in the floods. Now he has the audacity to blame Federal Government agencies for not responding quickly enough! Shame on his own City and State government including the Governor of Louisiana. And where did this so-called Mayor go for safety? NOT to the Superdome but to the Hyatt house - MUCH safer and cleaner there than the Superdome wasn't it? Mr. Mayor and Ms. Governor, both of you should hang your heads in shame or at least publicly own up to your mistakes and inadequate service to the people who voted for you and trusted you!!![/b]

Jomatben
September 6th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Having gone thru 3 hurricanes last year in Fl I know what it is like to have to "get ready" and "evacuate".Luckly we had little damage to our house and belongings. I also know how much it is now costing us in raised insurance rates and local goverment budget cuts to cover the cost of the storms. I still see the blue tarp covered roofs even after 1 year :!: I think that the blame starts with the local goverments and then on up. It is up to the local area goverments to follow their disaster plans then for FEMA to step in after and help. That is why LOCAL areas have disaster plans b/c every area is different in their needs, as much as the MAYOR of New Orlean's blasted everyone it was his downfall in following the local disaster plans that put so many citizens at risk in the first place. All day the Suday before it hit our news here was showing what could happen with a storm of that size going into New Orleans so I am sure it was no suprise to that area when it did happen. Why when the routes were accessiable were the hospitals, nursing homes and jails not evacuated?

JudieZ
September 6th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks for agreeing with me on the blame starting with the local city government. Saw the Mayor on Oprah today and all he did was blame the Federal Govt. for not sending help immediately - and she agreed with him, too!!

I also live in Central Fla. and went through the three hurricanes last year, the eye of the last one going right over my town. We were prepared for all three long before they hit!

Kimbermc
September 6th, 2005, 11:56 PM
I'm having a really tough time believing that this country could respond in a timely manner to a terrorist attack, when American citizens in our own country were left in such deplorable conditions for so many days. How secure are we to feel about this "War on Terror" when at this moment people are dying of hurricane related conditions right here in the Grand Ole US of A? I have always had my doubts about this administrations motives and concerns, and unfortunately I feel my doubts have been substanciated. If this catastrophe had affected an oil bearing region, I doubt relief would have been so delayed. The almighty dollar is what this county now stands for as far as our leaders are concerned, and dammed are those who don't have an economic value. We will continue to ban together as human beings with conscience and heart, because this tragedy affects all of us that care to open our hearts and do what we can to help our own. White House, Government or not, the human element will care for each other. That's what being an American means. God Bless and keep these victims from further harm, and let us as human beings, and Americans, reach out to those that are so desperately in need.

crazymomof3
September 7th, 2005, 12:51 AM
I am very disapointed in the way the emergency efforts were handled. Not just disapointed, downright @!#$*. What was the local, state and federal goverments thinking by waiting. What could have possibly been the advantage of saying 'lets just see what happens!' I know that I am not on that side of the fence or anything. But I was in hurricane Hugo and I just gave up and moved after about months of fighting. I hope and pray that the survivors of this disaster get the help that they need as soon as possible. If they don't I would think it would be time for a reevaluation of the aid structure on all levels.

Mary37
September 7th, 2005, 06:05 AM
I think that someone should have known this would happen and should have been prepared. It could have been avoided . There was know reason for theses people to have to go though this. I mean we can take care of other Countrys why can't we take care of your own? I just doesn't make any sense. :?: :evil:

aggiegurl99
September 7th, 2005, 06:08 AM
All that I have to say is shame on ALL levels of government for neither proactive nor reactive to what has happened. I am currently on travel in Toulouse, France and even people here are outraged at the fact that the "most powerful country" in the world had such a delayed response in helping her own people on her own soil.

While we are powerless to determine and define path of a hurricane, we are NOT powerless to help our own people before, during or after it comes. We, not only as Americans, but as human beings should have done more sooner than we did.

I am from the Houston area, and before I left town, I went to the Astrodome with as much canned food, water, baby food and formula, tylenol, ect. as I could afford and handed it out to the people MYSELF! Most assuredly, the same people (not refugees) will still be in my hometown when I return, and I plan on doing the same thing again. I am fortunate enough that even when Allison hit the Texas Gulf Coast, I was not displaced, nor did I incurr any property damage. These people were not so fortunate. And then, their own government ignores them.

SHAME ON ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT!!! I know that they did not allow the hurricane to hit, but they have allowed a lax response to their own suffering people.

And don't get me started on the comment that Mrs. Bush made about them already being "underprigileged" and this not really being any different [sic]

jackib b
September 7th, 2005, 07:21 AM
I tend to agree with some of the previous postings on this matter. It seems like there were problems with follow thru on the local level for evacuation plans that were written and in place. FEMA is not a first response agency. We are drawing together as a nation to help those who lost everything thru monetary donations, tangible goods, and opening our communities to displaced families. I think the problems of the levees possible breaking should have been dealt with years ago, but due to the high financial cost, it was ignored. Perhaps we as a nation can learn something from this?

MarkII
September 7th, 2005, 08:32 AM
I think that someone should have known this would happen and should have been prepared. It could have been avoided . There was know reason for theses people to have to go though this. I mean we can take care of other Countrys why can't we take care of your own? I just doesn't make any sense. :?: :evil:

Sorry, Mary37, but are you not aware that this was a NATURAL DISASTER? True, had the criminally incompentant, guilty MAYOR reacted in time, and put those busses to use on SUNDAY a lot of lives would have been saved, but the damage would not have been prevented. That is the cause of 40 years of pocket-lining by corrupt DEMOCRAT politicians in New Orleans and the Capitol in Baton Rouge. Man could not prevent the physical forces that resulted in property damage any more than he could cause the Global Warming. We are entering about the 100th cycle of Global Warming (there was a notable one in the 1300s that allowed Western Europe to emerge from a frozen wasteland and become semi-civilized) and naturally with it comes changes in the weather patterns. Don't blame the Federal Government. They had nothing to do with it. I know you are aching to lay this at the feet of the President, but he has shown he is the "Teflon Prez" before and will again. So stop quoting total phonies like Opra and supporting idiot politicians as Mayor Naise(?).

Mark II

MarkII
September 7th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Thanks for agreeing with me on the blame starting with the local city government. Saw the Mayor on Oprah today and all he did was blame the Federal Govt. for not sending help immediately - and she agreed with him, too!!

I also live in Central Fla. and went through the three hurricanes last year, the eye of the last one going right over my town. We were prepared for all three long before they hit!

Hey, JudieZ, I have friends who also lived in last year's Hurricane Alley. They were required to evacuate LONG before the storms hit. It could have been done in New Orleans -- maybe not ALL could have gotten out but at least the non-criminal element could have been removed. My friends have since moved to a new home.

As to your observations on the corrupt, incompetant MAYOR of New Orleans, they're right on. Considering that he and Opra are of the same political persuasion, it's not supprising she agreed with him. They both HATE George W. Bush, they are both "soft" on Terrorists, which makes me wonder if the Mayor arranged this as a test to see what his al-Qaeda friends could expect when they next hit this country.

Mark II

patm099
September 7th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Having just returned from helping prepare and serve meals to well over 675 people and trying to help care for over 165 children who were displaced due to Hurricane Katrina, this is a subject very close to me. Talking to some of the people at the shelter is one of the most heart breaking things I have ever done. One was a four year old little boy who said his house was broken. He said "It broke when the tornado (hurricane) blew off the roof and all our stuff flew away. And my daddy is in heaven with my teddy bear".

Pointing fingers is not the answer. We need to handle the problems associated with all the displaced Americans (not refugees). They are tired, hungry, dazed, confused and homeless. They are asking who is to blame. They are asking what am I going to do? Where am I going to go? How can I find out if my mother, father, brother (etc) is alive and where they are? How will I support my family? Are there any jobs here?

Is Mayor Nagin to blame for the New Orleans fiasco? YES Is Govenor Blanco to blame? YOU BETCHA. Is the federal government to blame for waiting so long to act? OF COURSE! New Orleans was not the only area affected although they suffered the worst outcome after Katrina left when the levees broke. No one in their wildest dreams could have predicted the devastation that occured along the Gulf Coast but we were warned that it would be catastrophic. Those with the means evacuated and most of them are homeless. But what needs to be addressed is how to feed, clothe, get medical attention and house everyone in need. There will be plenty of time for figuring out later what went wrong and try to correct it so it doesn't happen again, but we have people who need our help now. If we just sit back and have that "somebody ought help those people"attitude SHAME ON US. It makes us no better and certainly just as bad as the powers that should have been taking care of this. We are the SOMEBODIES of the world and, as such, need to step up to the plate and pitch in with all our might. Supplies are in demand but cash is in even shorter supply.

The effect of this natural disaster will be felt long after the memories begin to fade and I, for one, want to know that I contributed to the solution and not the problem.

swaite11
September 7th, 2005, 01:55 PM
A HUGE disaster, 2-fold, a little slow to get up to speed - proud of how far we have come in a short time frame.

karpack
September 7th, 2005, 02:34 PM
I think people need to be careful what they base their opinions on. I have been involved in this type of situation in the past and know first hand that the news is not a reliable source. They have a history of only giving one side, and really trying to sensationalize and exploit bad situations. After all they are mainly concerned with ratings. All we hear are the negative things, the shortcomings. They never report on the people that have been helped or the things that went right. I am not saying there weren't downfalls. This is afterall the largest catastrophy we have seen in this country. There will certainly be places for improvement, and things that were not considered in the past that are painfully obviouse now. But now is the time to do what we can to help, not critisize what is being done or who is doing it. There is plenty of time for that later.

aggiegurl99
September 7th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Sorry, karpack, but I must disagree. Now is the time to offer constructive criticism while helping. It's obvious that people on the outside don't know what to do and people on the inside know what they need. The whole point is the the criticism should be constructive. This way, should something like this ever happen again, here or in another country, people can be more prepared to act quickly and reduce the number of lives lost.

I agree that the media may not be portraying all sides of this event, but at the same time, you must understand that most people not directly involved with what is going on, are not going to educate themselves effectively on the situation.

For the most part, all of us on this side of the flooding are oblivious to what is really happening in Louisana. Which ever "news" station you happen to be watching is only going to be presenting one side of the story...that goes for anything that is deemed worthy of media coverage.

It's important for the government to know how the very people it has been called to govern, feel about them. Maybe in the future, whether it's a good event or a bad one, they will respond in a more appropriate manner.

msgadget
September 7th, 2005, 05:19 PM
The American people have done a far better job of responding to the crisis than the federal government has. And as to the President refusing help from other countries, he should be ashamed of himself, although I doubt he is ever ashamed of anything he does, no matter how stupid. He cut back funds three years ago that were being used to repair the levee system. What was his response to that? He didn't think the levees would break. There has been much on the news about people losing everything but one area I have not heard about are the people in the hospitals- newborns, elderly on respirators, etc.- who died when back-up generators failed. Immediate emergency aid might have saved those people. And does the President think America is so far superior to other countries that we can refuse aid from them, not wanting their paltry offerings? Other countries, just like all the ordinary citizens of the U.S., just want to help. In this week's TIME magazine, Bush says, "Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house- he's lost his entire house- there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch." He's concerned about a rich cronie who will have no trouble rebuilding. No mention of the thousands of others who lost everything and will never be able to afford a fantastic house. If the hurricane had hit in a wealthy section of Massachusetts or Delaware you can bet government aid would have been there before the rain had stopped. Granted, there were a lot of mistakes made and there is blame enough to go around, but I still think the Federal Government and it's leader really mishandled the storm's first days and have a lot to answer for.

crazymomof3
September 7th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Having read some of the other posts I can see that although there is some differences of opinion for the most part people know where the blame may lie for this whole mess, we fail to point fingers at the government because of this reason or that but we as a country know.

Someone forgot to tell the government that it is mostly the blue coller worker and the lower classes that make up the people of New Orleans. Those were the ones hit hardest by this catastrophe. I know that for the most part I can't help by being there as I live in Oregon, but I can do what I can to help out in other ways. As to all of those who have stated their opinions, you can all be proud of even well wishes and prayers for not all of us can respond to a disaster with cash.

MarkII
September 8th, 2005, 08:54 AM
The American people have done a far better job of responding to the crisis than the federal government has. And as to the President refusing help from other countries, he should be ashamed of himself, although I doubt he is ever ashamed of anything he does, no matter how stupid. He cut back funds three years ago that were being used to repair the levee system. What was his response to that? He didn't think the levees would break. There has been much on the news about people losing everything but one area I have not heard about are the people in the hospitals- newborns, elderly on respirators, etc.- who died when back-up generators failed. Immediate emergency aid might have saved those people. And does the President think America is so far superior to other countries that we can refuse aid from them, not wanting their paltry offerings? Other countries, just like all the ordinary citizens of the U.S., just want to help. In this week's TIME magazine, Bush says, "Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house- he's lost his entire house- there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch." He's concerned about a rich cronie who will have no trouble rebuilding. No mention of the thousands of others who lost everything and will never be able to afford a fantastic house. If the hurricane had hit in a wealthy section of Massachusetts or Delaware you can bet government aid would have been there before the rain had stopped. Granted, there were a lot of mistakes made and there is blame enough to go around, but I still think the Federal Government and it's leader really mishandled the storm's first days and have a lot to answer for.

Sorry MSGADGET, but as usual you hankie-stomping, whining Ultra Left Extremists KEEP GETTING IT WRONG. Some of what you say is true. Response was SLOW, but why? The Mayor of New Orleans apparently thought it would not hit HIS city. There's more than plenty of blame to spread around. Only you carefully avoid spreading it around by placing the PRIMARY blame where it belongs; squarely on the shoulders of Mayor Naise and the Governor of Louisiana. Of course it's because they are Socialist-Democrats (and as such "above all blame" in your eyes). THEIR party NOT that of the president has had absolute controll and all political offices - with only minor exceptions - in the affected area, including Mississippi, for the past 50 years. It was THEY not George W. who lined THEIR pockets with funds intended for repair and up-grading. Also, it is an outright LIE that the president PERSONALLY cancelled levee repair funding - remember, he's never VETOED anything so far. This filthly lie was first propagated by Mouth-Without-Brain Barbara Boxer who released the BS rumor to an eager anti-American, anti-Bush, pro-Terrorist Mainstream Media. Any First Responder will tell you that the order of involvement is; LOCAL first, STATE second, FEDERAL after the storms or Terrorist attacks subside and they can be effective. Get a life, talk to some of the REAL rescue people and they'll tell you the same. Why did the Mayor not initiate evacuation on Sunday and use those busses? Simple; he just didn't give a damn. He relied on INSTANT feduciary response from Washington, with which $ millions he would further line his and his corrupt CRONIES pockets.

I wondered how long it would be before one of the HATE-Bush, HATE-America, propaganda-spouting collection of malcontents would post on this Forum. Now I know. Your babbling makes it sound like George W. Bush and - as you put it - "his cronies" personnaly profited from this horrid disaster. Oh, yea, I bet you also regularly chant "No Blood for Oil," and support looney-tune Cindy Sheehan. You also make it sound (as I've said before) like the President huffed and puffed and blew down all those houses all by himself. You've been reading MoveOn.org and the lunatic fringe Democrat blogs far too long. Stop listening to and quoting self-proclaimed "experts," like nut-case Barbara Boxer, pathological liar Hillary, and obvious slimeballs like George Soros and Michael Moore. They are beneath contempt, they are utterly despicable. Where's their $millions for relief? Why haven't YOUR heroes contributed? Soros can give $ fifty million without significantly reducing the small change in his wallet. But does he? Hell no, he's too busy supporting terrorist operations world-wide. Pig-faced Moore is probably jumping with glee seeing Katrina - as you obviously do - as a golden opportunity to at last bring down George Bush and have him impeached. But before you go off spouting more of your seditious venom, remember this; KATRINA WAS A NATURAL DISASTER! No man could have created it, directed it and certainly not PREVENTED it.

Mark II

aggiegurl99
September 8th, 2005, 09:16 AM
MarkII, remember, you live in America and claim to be proud of this country and what it stands for. That means that the media has the right to spout whatever leftist, rightist, sensationalism that they want to (remember that whole "freedom of the press" thing?). YOU have the choice on whether or not you're going to read it. And everyone else in this country has that same right.

As I have stated before, there is blame to be placed on ALL levels of government, regardless of party affiliation on how this disaster has been handled.

Just because you do not agree with what some people might say, doesn't mean that it's a lie. You obviously have a different experience than others. So, get off of your high horse, pull your head out, and remember that this IS America.

Personally, I am not a Bush supporter, but I am NOT anti-American. And you do not have the right to label anyone as such! America stands for leadership and direction, something that the current administration is seriously lacking.

Unfortunately, Bush will not be impeached because too many of his friends, associates, or whatever you want to call them, are in positions of power; earned, stolen or otherwise. When you become a true leader, you understand that your needs and wants become secondary to the people you are leading. During this disaster, we've seen that leadership, on many levels, is lacking that belief. And yes, before you go off with your "propoganda-spouting", I speak from experience as a real leader.

The needs of the mayor, the governor, the senators, the president are all secondary to the suffering and loss experienced by the people affected by Katrina. They need to all suck it up, go out there to where the people are and get their hands a little dirty in a good way. [/i]

MarkII
September 8th, 2005, 09:38 AM
I think people need to be careful what they base their opinions on. I have been involved in this type of situation in the past and know first hand that the news is not a reliable source. They have a history of only giving one side, and really trying to sensationalize and exploit bad situations. After all they are mainly concerned with ratings. All we hear are the negative things, the shortcomings. They never report on the people that have been helped or the things that went right. I am not saying there weren't downfalls. This is afterall the largest catastrophy we have seen in this country. There will certainly be places for improvement, and things that were not considered in the past that are painfully obviouse now. But now is the time to do what we can to help, not critisize what is being done or who is doing it. There is plenty of time for that later.

Hey, karpac, I agree wholeheartedly. Yes, you are right, this is absolutely the greatest disaster to ever be visited on our Nation. but remember, it was a NATURAL DISASTER, not man-made. In time to come it will cause the 3,000+ of 9/11 to pale in comparison - BUT in area damaged and numbers dead only. Nothing can take away the treasonous actions (or rather inactions) of the Clinton Administration, which opened the door for that monstrous Terrorist attack. Regardless of what our traitor Mainstream Media are trying to convince us of, George W. Bush DID NOT have anything to do with letting Osama din Laden escape from Sudan or fail to round up known terrorists, Mohammed Atta and his three cohorts. THAT is truly Bubba Clinton's legacy.

I wonder if there is any connection between this act of treason by Clinton and the utter indifference of the Mayor of New Orleans and the Governor of Louisiana? After all, they ARE all of the same political party and embrace the same agenda.

See the following post from MSGADGET and mine that follows. She is a prime example of how we should make sure to filter the pronouncemtns of our Dedicated Leftist media through a quadruple layer of cheese cloth. Obviously, MSGADGET has been listening to the biased, anti-American, anti-Bush, Mainstream Media and reading MoveOn.org and the lunatic Radical Left, Marxist blogs. Remember, the media believe that ONLY tragedy sells newspapers or increases ratings. But, that's just window dressing. Beyond that, they have an AGENDA. It is identical with that of Howlin' Howard Dean and the DNC: Seize power and control in Washington and every State, BY WHATEVER MEANS NECESSARY, and never, never lose it again. As fellow conspirators with the Socialist-Democrat Party the media eagerly go about spewing disinformation and outright LIES in the finest tradition of Dr. Gobbels. (For those in Rio Linda, Dr. Gobbles was Minister of Propaganda for the NAZI government of Adolph Hitler.) And no matter that our corrupt Media seek to convince us to the contrary, Hitler and his government were Socialist, too.

Mark II

aggiegurl99
September 8th, 2005, 10:25 AM
MarkII, with all due respect, take a pill. If you hate the media so much, then stop paying attention to it, get rid of your cable tv, your digital tv, your radio, your internet...all of it, and start your own information repository. You obviously feel that you are among the well-informed elite, so do something aobut it instead of belly-aching! Advertise it and tell the "truth" without lies and/or sensationalism.

The legacy that my family has been left with is that of the "Bush Family Legacy." I have three cousins who have been KIA in Iraq and a former fiance, who when he did return from Iraq, was so damaged mentally and emotionally and forgotten about by his government, that he chose to completely withdraw from society.

My legacy includes being laid off from my job because the government decided that space and life science research is not a necessary contribution to the future of this country. Yes, I worked at NASA, and was told by the American government that learning how to keep humans healthy both on Earth and in space is not a priority! (exact words, no sensationalism here, thank you very much). See how much your "friend" really cares about you?

And yet, I continue to be a proud American.

When Clinton was president, he made it a point to educate ALL Americans, not just those who were financially well off. He felt that, in order to become and remain a world power and positive influence on democracy at home and abroad, you had to start with educating your people.

Bush got into office and that all changed. Open your rightist-closed eyes and talk to some REAL people. Regular working people who are doing their best to get by and provide for themselves and their families. Talk to the real, regular people who have lost everything and know from experience, that there's a really good chance that once again, their beloved government will turn its collective back on them, ignore their cries for help and abandon them.

Therefore, as a human FIRST and foremost, I will help these people in any way that I can. There are American citizens, foreign nationals and naturalized citizens and undocumented immigrants who were in New Orleans for a reason...to try and realize a better way of life. The supposed "American Dream". And that dream should include some compassion and concern for fellow human beings.

Treason? What's treason is not helping your own countrymen!

Those of us who have computers and homes and possessions and all of our loved ones MUST set a better example than the government has during this time. Let's not abandon our countrymen! That is NOT the American way!

So, come back down to planet Earth. No president or government has been perfect, nor will they ever.

And as a Christian, there's only ONE seat at the right hand of the Throne and it's NOT occupied by "Baby Bush"!

crazymomof3
September 8th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I agree with aggiegurl. This is not supposed to be about democrats, republicans, liberals, orconservatives. This is supposed to be about people! Do you remember the people who died in this disaster, the people who lost their homes and hope?! Yes, it was handled poorly, yes, it was avoidably in that people could have been evacuated earlier. But you know what, Mark III, this is not your opportunity to start civil war 2005. That does not mean I don't respect your opinion, but it is just that. An opinion. You can't claim to be so openminded and tell everyone else that thier opinion is the wrong one because it doesn't match yours. So calm down, take a deep breath, and remember that there are others out there who have the right and the priviledge to think differently than you. This is about the ones who are suffering right now. Let's not use this as a political soapbox and diminish what they are going through right now!!!

Aline
September 8th, 2005, 11:13 AM
There is truth in everyone’s comments.

A better plan could have been executed to diminish the extent of this catastrophe.

The eye of the hurricane was to have hit New Orleans. However, it started to move East at 15 mph. Everyone knew it was a Category 4. With this in mind, why didn’t the Mayor take better care of his people? That’s his job, isn’t it? To do what is best for the people of his city. Why didn’t the Governor take better care of the people of her State? That’s her job too! That is the reason she was elected. The Mayor and the Governor’s first priority should have been to get their people out of harms way by ANY means possible. Not, go to the “superdome” to wait out the storm without thinking ahead of what would happen to those people once the storm subsided. Like someone said earlier; if the school and city buses would have been used to get people out of the city before the storm hit, not only would there have been lives saved but they would still have those buses in their inventory. It’s just going to cost more money now to get more buses. Another expense that could have been prevented had the Mayor and Governor thought ahead. Aren’t they supposed to consider the “worse case scenario”.

We ALL know that money that the federal government distributes DOES get “pocketed” on the way down. Be it by the Governor, Mayors, Senators, big corporations, government employees, etc. I worked for the government and I can tell you that most government employees don’t give a hoot about where the money goes. As long as they get their paycheck, that’s all they care about. And if they can find any way to rip the government off, they will. They don’t seem to realize that in the end, they still pay for it. Prices keep going up. The problem the money was intended for is still there because all the money has “disappeared” so to speak.

In the end, it’s the poor, sick, disabled, and seniors that suffer. If you can no longer contribute to society, then you become a burden to the government. You’re costing them money which they don’t like – less for their pockets perhaps. Doesn’t matter if you WORKED hard for half your life, once you’re unable to do so….Adios!

I think that too much money is wasted in pre-feasibility studies instead to the actual cause. Maybe the federal government should have taken a firmer stand to direct that money towards the levees – whether it was Clinton or Bush, or whomever, because the problem to start off with was the levees which was predicted years and years ago. No matter who was in Office.

Maybe if the Federal government would have taken control to fix this situation instead of just giving the money to the State government to take care of the problem, the problem would have been fixed – the money would not have been “pocketed”.

Bottom line. Doesn’t matter if Bush did or did not give money to fix the levees. The hurricane was on its way. SOMETHING had to be done NOW! The Governor and the Mayor FAILED to do what they were elected to do – by ANY means possible with the worst-case scenario in mind, especially knowing that they were below sea level with a category 4 hurricane coming, and the levees not fixed.

Why did Bush not act sooner to accept aid from other countries? Who knows. The Canadian government was ready to go with medical supplies, manpower, etc., the next day of the hurricane, but were waiting for Bush to give “the go ahead” – which took several days. Why?

Now is the time to stand together. United, you stand; divided, you fall.

These comments are just my thoughts and are not meant to offend anyone.

aggiegurl99
September 8th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Aline,

Well put!

MarkII
September 8th, 2005, 11:27 AM
MarkII, remember, you live in America and claim to be proud of this country and what it stands for. That means that the media has the right to spout whatever leftist, rightist, sensationalism that they want to (remember that whole "freedom of the press" thing?). YOU have the choice on whether or not you're going to read it. And everyone else in this country has that same right.

As I have stated before, there is blame to be placed on ALL levels of government, regardless of party affiliation on how this disaster has been handled.

Just because you do not agree with what some people might say, doesn't mean that it's a lie. You obviously have a different experience than others. So, get off of your high horse, pull your head out, and remember that this IS America.

Personally, I am not a Bush supporter, but I am NOT anti-American. And you do not have the right to label anyone as such! America stands for leadership and direction, something that the current administration is seriously lacking.

Unfortunately, Bush will not be impeached because too many of his friends, associates, or whatever you want to call them, are in positions of power; earned, stolen or otherwise. When you become a true leader, you understand that your needs and wants become secondary to the people you are leading. During this disaster, we've seen that leadership, on many levels, is lacking that belief. And yes, before you go off with your "propoganda-spouting", I speak from experience as a real leader.

The needs of the mayor, the governor, the senators, the president are all secondary to the suffering and loss experienced by the people affected by Katrina. They need to all suck it up, go out there to where the people are and get their hands a little dirty in a good way. [/i]

Hey, AGGIEGIRL99,

Lighten up, eh? I, too, have said there is plenty of blame to spread around, but you INSIST on blaming only one person; George W. Bush. Actually, those whom I have criticized ARE duplicitous LIARS, and that has been proven so time after time. Such as Cindi Sheehan's outrageous LIE that we are conducting a nuclear war in Iraq and already the whole country is contaminated and will remain so for eternity - a lie for two reasons, one of which is we ARE NOT using nuclear weapons (damnit!) and two, the half-life of enriched U-235 and Plutonium are only around 265 years. If her outrageous BS were true, our own soldiers would GLOW IN THE DARK. I NEVER said I opposed Free Speech. I only said that it is clearly a crime - sedition at best, treason at worst - when people abuse Freedom of Speech to spread lies and distortions about men of character and honor like George W. (something we can't say about Bubba C.). But I do absolutely insist that Sedition and Treason are NOT "protected speech" within the meaning and interprtation of the First Amendment. Remember what Chief Justice Marhall said about Free Speech? (Maybe not. I gather from your diatribe that you, like others, were "educated" in the Governent (Public) schools, and have been spending too much time on Move0n.org and other LYING, propaganda HATE SPEECH sites, and remember HATE SPEECH has been outlawed on the Federal level and in all States, so they are also CRIMINALS.) As it happens, Marshall rendered a majority decision in which he stated most cogently, "Free Speech DOES NOT (emphasis mine) include yelling FIRE in a crowded theatre when there IS NO fire." Granted traitors like Sorors, Moore, Brain-Dead Boxer, Durbin, Cindi Sheehan. . .and YOU have not as yet been tried for treason and convicted, but you sure as shootin' are GUILTY of it. But look on the bright side; Dr. Gobbels would surely look upon you as an A+ outstanding pupil.

Because of your insane and unfounded hatred, you Bush-bashing, frothing-mouthed, Radical Leftists seek to blame George Bush for EVERYTHING. This is exactly what you Far Left, hate-Bush mob in the lunatic Left have been doing since 1989. First it was the lie that George W was a drunkard and drank himself into a stupor every night - a lie disproved by a dozen acquaintences, the Secret Service and Laura Bush, herself. Then there was the National Guard lies, proved so a dozen times before and decisively after Red Dan Rather was caught using forged documents to support his lying attack on the president, now we have Cindi Sheehan. If you can get away with blaming him for a natural disaster (Katrine), no doubt you will next blame our president for the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD. As I read your out-pouring of HATE against our president, I could not help but think that you are surely in bed (FIGURATIVELY, I hope) with George Soros and Michael Moore and all the other Marxist and Maoist LIARS who are spreading their filth across the world. THINK FOR YOURSELF FOR ONCE! Don't let corrupt, Marxists, with their twisted agenda, think for you. The harm you are doing to our great nation (although you have shown you don't think it is so great) will resound around the gobe. It will CONTRIBUTE to restoring the confidence and determination of al-Qaeda to wipe the name of God from the world and kill all non-Muslims, and bring down a catastrophic Terrorist attack on our country. Think about that when the first nuclear device goes off in a major American city and millions die. It will be YOU, as surely as it will be {omitted}{omitted}{omitted}{omitted} Durbin, Ted Kennedy, George Soros and Osama bin Laden, who will be responsible.

I want to appologize to my fellow posters on this Forum. I never intended to turn this into a political debate, but it seems some of the decicated Radical Left, hate-mongers just won't let it go. This Hurricane situation has unfortunately unleashed the minority WORST in our fellow Americans as well as, thank God, the best in the majority.

Mark II.

spaige
September 8th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Sorry, Mary37, but are you not aware that this was a NATURAL DISASTER? True, had the criminally incompentant, guilty MAYOR reacted in time, and put those busses to use on SUNDAY a lot of lives would have been saved, but the damage would not have been prevented. That is the cause of 40 years of pocket-lining by corrupt DEMOCRAT politicians in New Orleans and the Capitol in Baton Rouge. Man could not prevent the physical forces that resulted in property damage any more than he could cause the Global Warming. We are entering about the 100th cycle of Global Warming (there was a notable one in the 1300s that allowed Western Europe to emerge from a frozen wasteland and become semi-civilized) and naturally with it comes changes in the weather patterns. Don't blame the Federal Government. They had nothing to do with it. I know you are aching to lay this at the feet of the President, but he has shown he is the "Teflon Prez" before and will again. So stop quoting total phonies like Opra and supporting idiot politicians as Mayor Naise(?).

Mark II

The hurricane damage was a natural disaster. New Orleans could have bounced back easily from just the hurricane damage. The flooding and levee damage could have been avoided with proper upkeep, repair and preparation; therefore is a consequence of irresponsiblity. I do agree with you that it was the reponsiblity of local officials and you can always count on the democrats and the media to make every little thing a political issue!

aggiegurl99
September 8th, 2005, 11:52 AM
You have obviously missed something or there is a circuit not connecting somewhere.

Just because I do not support President Bush, I respect the fact that he holds the office and I do NOT hate him. To be a self-proclaimed Chrisitan, you sure do have a lot of hate for a lot of people.

Freedom of speech is abused by folks like you. If you have paid attention to anything that I have posted, you would have read that I feel that there is blamed to be place on ALL levels of government. Unless you feel that Bush IS all levels of government, there's the possibility that you only agree with people who agree with everything that you say exactly how you say it.

We have both jumped off of the topic of this forum. It is not about Bush, it is about people who need help. But then again, maybe you are on the correct forum.

Who I am "in bed" with is my own business. I came from a town, run by Conservatives where private schools were not available. I came from a town where there are still restrooms labeled "colored". My hometown is still segregated, you had better believe it. And the Right Wing has publically admitted that that is the way they want it and that they will do what they have to in order for it to stay that way.

In the face of all of this, I still believe that we live in a great country. We do not always make the best decisions, but at least we have that option here. (Are you paying attention to this?) I must say, from what I have observed since I came of voting age, is that at least the Left-Wing, Communist-Loving Liberals can and will admit when they are wrong.

I proudly attended Texas A&M University (an EXTREMELY conservative campus), the FIRST public, land-grant college in the state of Texas, and every moment of it was wonderful! I was educated in public schools, funded by the American people of my community, and I'm damned proud of it!

It was in those public schools that I learned to think for myself. That I learned what leadership, values and integrity are about. Did you go to private schools where these concepts were not taught?

You seem to be one of those people who feel that only a certain "class" of people deserve to be educated. This is neither an American nor a Christian value. God bless us ALL!! Believers and non-belivers...because we all need His help, including "Dubbya".

Open your mind, even if just a bit. I promise your brain will not fall out.

spaige
September 8th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Did you every see the move "The Tail Wags the Dog"? The media has the right to spout whatever they want - as do you. Character and integrity are going to count in the end, and you need to make sure who you believe in has that. You seem to be of the younger generation, so my advise would be to really look for honesty and integrity from whom you are going to take advise.
"from Texas"

Bishop
September 8th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Bureaucrats have always lined their pockets. We are naïve and ignorant to think otherwise. Whether it be Republican or Democrat, the problem was predicted long ago. These predictions should have been heeded and most of this problem could of somewhat been averted if the levees would have been constructed.

Governments are placed in power by the people to serve the people, not their own personal agendas. Whether it be the war of Iraq or the Monica Lewinski scandal. We all have skeletons in our closet and we should clean our own closet.

The people in these states, regardless of their Caucasian, are tax-paying American citizens. I’m appalled at how this situation is being handled.

It is time for us to make this catastrophe a symbol to the American people the true nature of our government and make them accountable, and to unite, and to make sure that this never happens again.

It always takes a catastrophe for mankind to wake up!

aggiegurl99
September 8th, 2005, 12:02 PM
spaige,

I've become so dissillusioned by Democrats and Republicans and all of the mudslinging, I really feel that very few, if ANY of the politicans that 'serve' this country are deserving of my trust and belief in them. I feel that integrity and character have been lacking in the leaders of this country for quite some time.

I take advice from people who have proven, by example, that what they have to say and do are not always in their best interest.

They really need to prove their worth, now that they have a chance, and help the victims of the flood. That would be an excellent start!

unicorn
September 8th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I am in Magee, MS, which, while not as hard-hit as the gulf coast, has taken its share of damage.

Ten days later, many areas still have no power, some have no water or phone service. Bellsouth phone system here has promised restoration of all service by the end of October. We hear promises that all areas will have power restoration by the end of this weekend and frankly I don't believe it. Many have taken devastating losses - houses damaged by trees, livestock and crops ruined or dead. It was a week before I saw the first sign of a Red Cross vehicle. Our whore of a governor was johnny-on-the-spot to assure everyone of aid, but guess what - it sure didn't stop here. And all we hear on what little news we can get is the grandstanding of politicians. We saw a very few military aircraft in the air, all heading south. Funny since, after the tsunami, Bush had troops and relief supplies moving into that area within 24 hours. I guess homeland situations aren't of much value. But of course he can't make headlines for foreign aid here and I'm sure many countries believed that the USA got what it deserved. Fine, that's their opinion.

The elected officials in NOLA were warned of 50+ foot waves before Katrina came in by a storm watcher and was told "We'll get back to you", which was never done. He later called back to report a buoy gone, which indicates waves over 60 feet and was again told "we'll get back to you". I lived in NOLA 25 years ago and their problems were well-known then - the place is, after all, well below sea level and has been for years. The levees just make the problem worse because when you have flooding over the levee it is more catastrophic than it would be without them. The Corps of Engineers have been fighting the river for over 50 years and look where it's got them - nowhere. There are very few good roads out of NOLA, so any meaningful evacuation has to begin several days in advance. This has never been dealt with, either. A lady I work with went to NOLA on Saturday, 2 days before the storm hit. Was there evacuation in progress, was there boarding up? No, she said it was business as usual everywhere. She saw one business preparing and that was an art gallery. And I have to say that this is rather typical of the NOLA mentality. It was like that when I lived there and it doesn't appear to have changed.

Tyson, a local chicken producer, did, over the Labor Day weekend, give away ice and cooked food for folks, but they also left a huge number of their chicken producers, regular farm folk, with starving chickens on their hands because the feed mill, though full of feed, had no power to get it into the trucks and out to the farms. Many of these farms had no water, so could not feed even if they had food for the birds (can't feed without water or you just kill the birds anyway). These farmers worked like dogs to try to save something, but they sure never saw any relief from Tyson. They weren't even able to take the time to get into town to get supplies. Tyson gave no thought to these producers, WHO KEEP THEM IN BUSINESS with their produce and wouldn't even pick the birds up rather than let them starve, because they had no place to process the birds.

Red Cross made one of our county supervisors drive to Jackson on gas he couldn't afford to spend just to get ice, water and food for people in his district - wouldn't trouble themselves to bring it out. And this after Red Cross had many people offer help to the services only to be told "we don't need you". I am also told that supplies are stored in the Coliseum in Jackson going to waste rather than going to those that need them.
I know people on the MS coast and in NOLA are in desperate plight, but there are storm-related problems in other places as well. People out here had no water and no way to get any, because they lacked the gas or the money.

Bet on it that, while gas prices soar nationwide that the oil companies aren't going to absorb any of the costs, either. They'll never stoop to lose a little profit, whatever the cost to the common man. For God's sake, my stepson was out in the gulf on one of their drillships and was not brought in. Thank god the drill ship was capable of fleeing under its own power and he was gotten to safety.

We were extremely lucky. We live in a doublewide trailer and we stayed there with our animals during the storm, which was a Category 3 hurricane by the time it reached us in Simpson County, 120 miles inland. The only reason we are still here is that we didn't have trees around us. People all around us had trees down on their homes. One of my neighbors has her children's family living with her right now because they evacuated from Biloxi and have now found out that they have no home to return to - they have a concrete slab on the beach, now. People here have committed suicide because they don't know where to turn and have no hope for their futures. My father-in-law has at least several months steady work just repairing pasture fences so he doesn't lose his cows.
We are under curfew because evacuees from NOLA are coming into the area and many of them are breaking into businesses and looting. I know not all of these folks are thugs, but the ones that are create suspicion for everyone. One lady in Jackson graciously opened her home to a family from NOLA who had run from the storm. She went to the grocery to get food and came back to find that these wonderful people had robbed her blind and left.

We have had some wonderful people in our county who have gone above and beyond the call of duty to help others and I salute them from the bottom of my soul. And there have been people here giving aid from as far away as New Mexico, Illinois and Michigan. They have my gratitude. But we also have those that would have been better off dead from the storm for all the use they are to anyone and for the extra grief they have caused to others. Many people here are starting to get word of loved ones that could not get away from the coast - their bodies are turning up in the morgues.

Katrina was a storm of devastating proportions and in her wake nothing here in the areas hit will ever be the same again. I don't know how many of these folks will even begin to be able to make a recovery. But I hope God or providence or luck will be with them all as they attempt to make a start of the task.

bahwrites
September 8th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I think Mike Brown, FEMA Director, should not only be fired but also be brought to trial for murder. His actions (or lack thereof) directly caused many deaths. He looked particularly brainless when he was interviewed on TV last Friday and stated that the Federal government just learned about the New Orleans Convention Center that day. The man is an imbecile and criminally negligent. He must be fired immediately.

Stephs
September 8th, 2005, 01:16 PM
why didn't Bush accept foreign aid? Probably wanted to show the world that the good ole US of A doesn't need help from anybody and can take care of its own. And at what cost? I wonder how the ones responsible can sleep at night? It's my guess that they don't have a conscious.

The US of A looks all mighty and powerful when they're helping foreign countries at the drop of a hat. Looks good now, doesn't it? Now the whole world can see how the good ole US of A takes care of its own. This government should be ashamed.

edgmondl
September 8th, 2005, 02:54 PM
The emergency plan NO had in place (sent to the federal govt for approval) listed several non-govt agencies as having roles and duties during an evacuation or emergency. Some of these agencies had no knowledge of the document or their supposed roles and duties.

Bush broke federal law by approving actions before the governor of LA requested it. He had asked the governor and NO mayor friday and saturday to please request help but they turned him down.

this is america and as such the president cannot order troops into a state unless the governor requests aid. too slow to ask - wanting to be the heroes? - pride over people.

the state department is handling aid offers as quickly as they can. most of the offers went to the wrong people- the media- and not to the offices that can coordinate such things.

pray, give, and lend a hand for the evacuees and for those who have lost so much.

crazymomof3
September 8th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I am going to share something with everyone right now that might put everything that we're feeling right now into a little bit of perspective for all of us. There has been a lot of heated debates and harsh feelings over the lack of action by all levels of the government and I respect you all for the fact that this seems to have put a strain on everyones feelings.

The pictures that you see on the news are heartbreaking and disturbing, and unfortunaely they are out there.

The only thing that I can feel right now is proud that 1) I am a member of this great country, and 2) that i realized when my 6 year old son came up to me with his bank and told me to give it to the 'sad children' that everyone is feeling this on different levels as well. Mark III, you are feeling that your president is under attack. Aggiegurl it seems that you are feeling that your right to express yourself is under attack, and to a lot of the others you feel lost in the shuffle.

But the one thing that I have noticed is that, all in all, everyone has felt a sense of betrayal that nothing more has been done to help. It has all come down to money or lack thereof. We wonder silently to ourselves what will happen if we are the next to suffer some great catastrophe. Will we be as abandoned as the NOLA residents seem to have been by our elected officials.

I am sorry if I offend anyone with my statements but the only thing I can think of right now, is the face of a 6 year old that just wants to help.

MarkII
September 8th, 2005, 04:25 PM
You have obviously missed something or there is a circuit not connecting somewhere.

Just because I do not support President Bush, I respect the fact that he holds the office and I do NOT hate him. To be a self-proclaimed Chrisitan, you sure do have a lot of hate for a lot of people.

Freedom of speech is abused by folks like you. If you have paid attention to anything that I have posted, you would have read that I feel that there is blamed to be place on ALL levels of government. Unless you feel that Bush IS all levels of government, there's the possibility that you only agree with people who agree with everything that you say exactly how you say it.

We have both jumped off of the topic of this forum. It is not about Bush, it is about people who need help. But then again, maybe you are on the correct forum.

Who I am "in bed" with is my own business. I came from a town, run by Conservatives where private schools were not available. I came from a town where there are still restrooms labeled "colored". My hometown is still segregated, you had better believe it. And the Right Wing has publically admitted that that is the way they want it and that they will do what they have to in order for it to stay that way.

In the face of all of this, I still believe that we live in a great country. We do not always make the best decisions, but at least we have that option here. (Are you paying attention to this?) I must say, from what I have observed since I came of voting age, is that at least the Left-Wing, Communist-Loving Liberals can and will admit when they are wrong.

I proudly attended Texas A&M University (an EXTREMELY conservative campus), the FIRST public, land-grant college in the state of Texas, and every moment of it was wonderful! I was educated in public schools, funded by the American people of my community, and I'm damned proud of it!

It was in those public schools that I learned to think for myself. That I learned what leadership, values and integrity are about. Did you go to private schools where these concepts were not taught?

You seem to be one of those people who feel that only a certain "class" of people deserve to be educated. This is neither an American nor a Christian value. God bless us ALL!! Believers and non-belivers...because we all need His help, including "Dubbya".

Open your mind, even if just a bit. I promise your brain will not fall out.

No, AGGIE, Free Speech is ABUSED by people like YOU on the Extreme Radical Far Left. Your attempt to smear me about private schools betrays your Radical Marxist-Socialist bias. First off, Private Schools (which you apparently HATE like you do Geo. W) teach a whole h#@l of a lot more about duty, honesty, honor and morality than ANY Public School. In fact, from what I've seen lately honesty and morality are subjects that are anathama to the Government Controlled "Public Schools." As a matter of fact, I too am a product of "Public Schools" and a Public University. and have taught in the "Public" Schools, so I know first-hand how they have betrayed their charges in the most contemptible and outrageous manner. But back to the REAL topic of this question.

Right now the news is breaking that all of what happened after the wind and water went away reveals that the Mayor refused to allow the Red Cross, who had literally tons of supplies ready and in trucks, to enter NO to help the people at the Superdome. HE, not George W. Bush is to BLAME. Little-by-little the duplicity of him, the Governor and Senator Landreau will come out. Another recently revealed fact; it was NOT the levees that broke, they in fact held. It was a dike between the lake and the city that burst. No matter how much BS you puke out, the TRUTH will out and the world will know the corruption and depravity of the Socialist-Democrat party.

But you radical leftists cannot accept the truth even when it jumps up and slaps you in the face. Go back to MoveOn.org and other Hate-monger Forums and leave us alone. Eat your hear out, Babe, your diseased, has-been Party is going down, drowned by their own putrid, vile misdeeds.

Mark II

aggiegurl99
September 8th, 2005, 09:07 PM
MarkII, seriously, calm down.

I do not hate private schools, nor do I hate Pres. Bush. I do not agree with his politics and I do not agree with you. This is America, and I have that right. I am from a community that is extremely conservative and did not allow private schools. I have nothing against them at all, nothing against you and nothing against the president. I am simply making observations. It is my right. If it bothers you, you have a choice as to whether or not you are going to read and respond.

If you had paid attention (which is obvious that you haven't) you would notice that I have stated that I do not align with any one political party. Both parties have some good ideas and some bad. You seem to be too busy doing exactly what the media that you hate so much is doing: focusing on one thing, distorting it, and then presenting it as fact.

I am not an extreme radical far left, as you put it. And even if I am, it is my choice. You have chosen to be blind and deaf to the fact that all people, you, the president, and the victims of hurricane Katrina, are all deserving of their proper respect due as human beings. Whether they agree with the president or not. No one person should be elevated above any other.

You know absolutely NOTHING about me, so I will tell you this. I was reared in a Christian community and in a Christian household. I was taught that hate is evil. I was taught that Jesus saves ALL who come to Him (do you think that this is BS?). I may not agree with, nor may I like George W. Bush, heck, I may not agree with or like YOU, but I respect the fact that you are both human beings and therefore, I have chosen NOT to hate.

I have never visited moveon.org, or whatever site you keep referencing, nor have I visited any hate-monger forums (until this one). I have just as much of a right to be here as you do. If you don't like it, eat YOUR heart out and leave us alone. You have that choice.

My God bless you and allow the Holy Spirit to move through your soul and heal whatever wounds have caused you to have so much hate inside. This world is difficult enough without people like you turning on their own countrymen. Just ask the people of New Orleans.

debrose
October 4th, 2005, 08:49 AM
WOW....

This is a subject that is very personal for me. I had the great pleasure to spend 7 months last winter working in Louisiana and Mississippi. My son and I fell in love with the area, and he was to relocate to the Baton Rouge area until my company lost its contract.

My first trip to the area was cut short as we were evacuated for Ivan the Terrible. I remember at the time, the media reported that if a CAT 4 were to hit New Orleans directly, the estimated dead would be in the HUNDREDS of thousands, primarily because they expected people just WOULDN'T leave. With Katrina, there were cases of people who just would not leave their homes. My daughter has a friend whose family is from Metarie, LA. Her grandfather was one of those "If I'm going to die, I'm going to die at home." After the storm, he was rescued and evacuated to Houston.

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from my cousin in Ocean Springs, MS (just east of Biloxi). They have sold out and are returning to Central TN. They were very lucky - their home stood at 24 feet, and the surge was 20 feet. There was slight damage to the house, primarily from limbs falling from the beautiful trees surrounding it. However, her mother is in her 80's, in poor health, and the 3 evacuations this summer have taken their toll.

Was the preparation enough? It's great to have a plan. However, it must be taken into account that the city of New Orleans has a high rate of poverty, and some of these people did not have the means to evacuate on their own. All of the social and political debate in the world will not change the fact that poverty exists, and in times of disaster, they do need help.

Should criminal charges be filed against the government (local, state federal) or the representatives of its agencies? To what good? A natural distaster is an act that is created by forces greater than any human can understand. Have any of you ever been driving in the desert, and seen a sudden "dustdevil" blow up - without a breath of air in the moment before?

I am very disappointed in the reactions of ALL government agencies. The blame game in politics is as old as this world we live in. "I'm an elected official, and it can't possibly be my fault." And, while Mayor Nagin is ambitious in his "We will rebuild" plan, and his cheerleading to the community is commendable, he will never appear on the same pages of the history books as former NYC Mayor Guiliani.

On a bright ending note, I already have my reservations at the same Baton Rouge hotel I lived in for most of 7 months for mid-February of 2006. I will be visiting the beauty and history of New Orleans, enjoying the food and "Les Bon Temps Rouler" that make this city one of our country's crown jewels.

cjpaamul
October 6th, 2005, 03:18 PM
It is a shame that any disaster leads to finger pointing. If any should be done, it should be by the citizens of the New Orleans area against those in local government who misused funds that should have rebuilt the levy's years ago. It is not the federal government's fault. Mother Nature cannot be controlled or totally forecasted.

im4michigan
December 4th, 2005, 03:42 PM
How about the fact that if you choose to live in an area of the country that is subject to violent weather (wether that be blizzards in the Rocky Mountains, hurricanes along the Gulf and Atlantic coasts, earthquake possiblities on the Pacific coast) you, as a citizen of that area, have an obligation to get a supply/relief kit together and be ready to go at a moments notice. Now, before somebody flies off the handle at that, I live along the Gulf coast and adhere strictly to the hurricane supply kits as recommended by state/local/fed disaster teams and have weather 6 hurricanes in the past 2 seasons. My family is ready to be mobile in under 1 hour and our supply kit is refreshed each spring - as recommended every year by the local news teams. It is MY responsibility FIRST - and when they say to get out of town - WE LEAVE.

I am not stupid enough to IGNORE A MANDATORY evac order and not have food/water/supplies and THEN WAIT AROUND FOR HELP THAT CANNOT ARRIVE IN TIME. And then let us not forget who failed first in the city who has cried the loudest - New Orleans. Lots of folks CHOOSE to ignore evac orders, did not prepare, and then SHOT AT THOSE WHO CAME TO HELP!

Yes, FEMA failed them, as did their local governments. They failed themselves first.

Evac orders are not issued because local governements can't think of any other way to entertain themselves. If you don't like the way your local governent is handling things, then vote them out of their jobs.

indiana anna
February 13th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Everyone failed the Katina victims, except the American people who were so generous with their monies and aid. People here and abroad donated so much money you have to know that, but where is it, and what have they done with it? What has the Red Cross done with all they received and how much did they receive that was earmarked to go to Katrina hurricane victims?
Fema to this day is running around getting services from people and not paying for them, any work you see done over the t.v. is done by churches and just regular folks helping out, where is the dollars that people meant to go to help these unfortunates? Iraq? Fema directors? Promised big bucks to contractors who will not do what they are paid for? Total disgust what is happening in our country. One lesson learned "Do not count on anyone of government to help if we are in trouble!" What do we really need them for?

Kitchen Witch
February 15th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Unfortunately - The American Red Cross is "stock-piling" the money for other worldly disasters that may happen in the future. Even though the Americans donated money for the KATRINA VICTIMS!!!!

It's time for our insurance companies to be held responsible for how people are forced to live. The insurance companies are the biggest contributors to the political parties and the hundreds of millions that they "donate" for our politicians to look the other way and let them (the insurance companies) get away with anything they want. It doesn't matter if the insurance carrier specializes in home/auto/worker's compensation - they are all the same. They spend more money NOT paying what they should. And they get away with it.

Everyone has taken note of what has happened with Katrina. But they have forgotten about those poor people in Florida (for example) who were hit with hurricanes - one after the other - before Katrina hit. Many of them still do not have housing and some are still living out of their vehicles waiting for help.

Millions of dollars went to illegal contractors that took off with the money. There has been price gouging and absolutely ridiculous prices put on services for these people.

The more money that is collected - the more money gets pushed around - the more money gets pocketed and is "forgotten".

FEMA is not capable of helping anyone properly - WALMART got through immediately - FEMA could take lessons from Walmart.

Our government officials are only interested in lining their own pockets - that is why people are suffering from not only Katrina and other disasters, but medical as well. Seems like they only care about themselves.

And this is America?????

Shadows
February 17th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I see folks blaming the Government, FEMA, the Red Cross, everyone but themselves... where were these folks emergency supplies that the "government" and Red Cross , etc. said should be held by all familys, etc. after the 9/11 incident?
I see folks screeming for assistence that were on assistence before this disaster and want more from the government... in case you don't know that all comes from us ( the supposed government ) in the form of taxes.

Yes the Bush administraition dropped the ball on this one, but it is high time we all started to look out for our own and ourselves... the GOV ain't gonna do it!

My opinion and my opinion only!

Kitchen Witch
February 20th, 2006, 12:58 AM
As a homeowner who has been paying homeowner's insurance for many years - and never placing a claim for anything - I feel that the insurance companies should be held responsible for owning up to their end of the contract!

With all the insurance I have on my home - I would want my insurance company to pay what I was entitled to should something happen.

The insurance companies are finding more illegal "loopholes" and they are playing in the "gray" area not to pay on these claims. Without that money - many cannot re-build their homes and their lives. This is money they invested in insurance and they trusted these insurance companies.

That is where the government should step in and do something.

Free handouts I don't believe in. But I do believe in helping others - that is the way I was raised. When disasters happen - regardless of how big or small and the number of people effected - I feel that we should help one another. It doesn't mean we have to support a disaster victim for the rest of their life - but to help them try to get their life back together as best they could after what has happened. Wouldn't you give a homeless person a warm coat or a hot meal?? Wouldn't you donate blood for someone who needs it?? Wouldn't you give an orphaned or abandoned child a home, clothes, food and love?? Maybe I am an old softie - but I have helped many and I know that in this lifetime I am not done helping others.

My big beef is with the insurance companies and the games they play. Insurance companies are running our lives. Insurance companies decide on our medical, presecriptions, length of time for hospital stays, etc. They decide how much they will pay for anything regarding homes and automobiles. They do NOT want to pay any money out for any reason - they just want to keep collecting!

That is why I state that our government should step in and do something. Our government officials may not be the brightest crayons in the box - they screw up too - but they should at least try to stay on top of things.

How much longer are those in Florida going to have to wait for insurance money?? And they were slammed with hurricanes before Katrina even hit. They have been forgotten.

I'm just an ol'mush who does not like what the insurance companies are getting away with.

gayla50
February 25th, 2006, 12:17 AM
there was alot of blame to go around goverment knew the storm was coming, they did nothing then the federal goverment failed... But has any one thought about the fact hurricane season starts in what 3 months and they think its going to be a bad season again ....

Aline
February 25th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Regarding the Florida hurricanes. It's like my American cousin who lives in Fort Lauderdale says... "It's the price you pay for living in Paradise." ...wearing shorts all year round!

And we Canadians here in Northern Ontario... when we have a snow storm, accummulating 4 feet of snow in a few days, at least we know where our house is!!! LOL However, if you don't clean the snow off your roof and decks, depending on their strength, they'll collapse!

But...I think that I would rather live with the cold and snow storms instead of the very high howling winds. I hate the winds! In 1972 we had a tornado hit our city and it caused quite a bit of damage. Luckily, that's the last time one has hit. I couldn't imagine living somewhere where it happens yearly!

So....guess I'll make my own little paradise here in the bush where we have to deal with bears, wolves, foxes, moose, and skunks! LOL You never know what you'll wake up to in your backyard.

Kitchen Witch
February 25th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Aline -

I totally agree with you. We survived the Blizzard of '77, the ice storm of '78 and Blizzard 2000 where we had 14 feet of snow fall in a day or two.

Back in the 80's - we had so much snow fall that my house was totally buried, along with my 6-foot fence and the tree in front of my house. Due to the position of the side and front door on the house and with the ice - I could not open my doors. Snow had totally buried my house. It was quite an eerie feeling being stuck in the house and the doors and windows covered with snow.

It took 3 plows to dig out my home! They found me when one of them
drove into the tree in front of the house. Then they had to chisel the ice from the doors so I could get out.

But I would rather have this than go through hurricanes and tornadoes!
I would much rather watch them loading tons of snow in dump trucks and cart it away than go through what those poor folks do in the south!

Henny
February 25th, 2006, 02:36 PM
You sentiments are well put, but you cannot know how terrible this hurricane has left this area. I live on the cosat where this happened, we were fortunate that our damage was minimal ,needed new roof =, tree removed from house, etc. just down the street from us people had water in their homes. I could go on but I think you will get the picture.

ciscozoom
June 26th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I live in Hillsborough County Florida and have been through several minor hurricane hits and quite a few close calls. The bottom line to all these political meltdowns is that Bush is a moron. George Dubya and his useless brother, Governor of our lovely Sunshine State, Jeb Bush (should have known by his dumbass name) have done nothing to help the situation whilst it happened and are still dragging their feet dealing with the resulting issues, including what i like to call "Citizens Insurance Rape".

For God's sake, the man can't even speak in complete sentences when representing our once great nation to foreign dignitaries.

end of before i get too depressed. :|

I apologise for the mini-rant but i felt the need to vent.

carry on ;)

LittleThunder
July 22nd, 2007, 09:14 PM
The Katrina thing was poorly, poorly handled. I lived in Covington at the time, a suburb of New Orleans, and was luckily far enough away from the storm to not feel it's strongest weather.

It took 4 days to respond, which is terrible, FEMA came, I think, 2 weeks later, which is also unacceptable. The Red Cross was NOT giving food to civil service workers. Attempts to even clean up the damage was scarce, there's places now that look like the storm happened yesterday.

If the government was looking for a good way to turn half the nation against it, it's plan didn't fail. I know I'm not going to rely on them for anything ever again.

pmuhlhan
August 4th, 2007, 07:28 AM
LittleThunder,

One of my employees has family in Slidell. When the storm hit, he rented the largest vehicle available to travel from Florida to Louisiana to find his mom, dad, stepparents, siblings, etc. Listening to the media and government didn't even come close to the tales that he came back with. He was very brave to take the chances he did.

His mother is writing a book about Katrina and where New Orleans is (isn't) today. She is living in Florida now but goes back to Louisiana almost weekly to talk with people. She is a straight shooter and and says it like it is. She is not doing this for money, she is doing it out of respect for all those who have lost and continue to lose without assistance from the so-called governments and support groups in our country. It should be an interesting read when finished.

Take care,

Paula

cooksRus
August 28th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I think either way you look at it something MORE could of been done....to me it's clear as day!