View Full Version : How to make applesauce

Kitchen Witch
April 24th, 2009, 10:28 AM
How to make applesauce

Applesauce is very easy to make, and pretty hard to ruin, so venture forth with a light heart!

5 lb box of apples (do not use Granny Smith - you WANT a sweet apple for this)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar

The first step is to peel, core, and slice your apples. If you have one of those doo-dads that peels and cores for you, congratulations. If not a potato peeler and a knife will do. I personally love the apple slicer contraption that's shaped like a circle and divides the apple into eighths. Whatever your method, you need eight slices from each apple.

Place prepared apples into a 2 quart or larger pot. Add the 1/2 cup of water and turn the burner on to medium heat. Place a lid on the pot and leave to cook for about 30-40 minutes, or until apples are soft. Most of the water should have evaporated, but if there is any extra pour it out, the apples are plenty juicy by themselves.

The next step involves personal preference. I like my apple sauce chunky, so I simply use a potato masher to mash the apples until they are mostly liquid. If you want smooth apple sauce you can put the cooked apples into a food processor or blender. Once mixed return the sauce to the original pan.

Next add the 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 tablespoons cinnamon. Mix these together, turning the burner on if you need to heat the applesauce in order to mix the butter in. Serve piping hot with dinner! You can also put the applesauce into small tupperware containers for lunches, or even can it to preserve it for year round use. You family will never go back to the premade stuff ever again.

BASIC APPLESAUCE

Yield: 3 cups

8 medium-sized apples
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. reconstituted lemon juice
1/2 cup or more brown sugar

Core and dice apples; place in saucepan, add water and salt, simmer until soft. Press through sieve or food mill; add cinnamon, salt, lemon juice and add sugar to taste; stir until dissolved. Serve hot or cold.

THREE-APPLE APPLESAUCE

2 cups water
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
3 pounds Fuji apples
3 pounds Granny Smith apples
3 pounds Jonathan apples
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

Combine 2 cups water and lemon juice in 12-quart stockpot. Peel, core and cut apples into 3/4-ich pieces. Mix pieces into lemon water as soon as apples are cut to prevent browning.

Add sugar, salt, cinnamon and allspice. Stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil and reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are soft and almost translucent (about 20 minutes). Stir frequently.

Remove from heat. Using potato masher, mash apples to chunky consistency. Ladle applesauce into hot, clean 1-pint glass canning jars, leaving 1/2-inch space at top of jars. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar threads and rims with damp cloth. Cover with hot lids. Apply screw bands. Process jars in pot of boiling water for 20 minutes. Cool jars completely and store in cool, dark place up to one year.