View Full Version : Molded Gelatin Salad

FudgyBear
April 5th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Back in the 1950's, just about every church social or pot luck was graced by a molded gelatin salad that contained vegetables (like celery and shredded carrots, for example) instead of fruit, and was eaten with mayonnaise. As I recall, it was made with lemon or lime gelatin.I was too young to appreciate it back then, but I find myself remembering it fondly.

I can't find anyone who has the recipe, including the folks at the Jello website (Kraft).

Can anyone help me with the recipe?

Anonymous
April 5th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Apricot Bavarian
6-oz. pkg. apricot gelatin
2 cups boiling water
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. finely grated lemon peel
16-oz. can apricot halves, undrained

In large bowl, combine gelatin and boiling water and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Add sour cream and lemon peel and mix well with wire whisk. Chop apricots and add to gelatin mixture along with juice from can. Rinse a 6 cup mold with cold water and pour gelatin mixture into mold. Cover and refrigerate 4-6 hours until firm. Unmold and serve with fresh mint. 8 servings

Calories: 260
Fat: 13 grams
Sodium: 100 mg
Vitamin A: 30% DV

tmitchel
April 5th, 2004, 02:39 PM
I asked my mother about this. She said that there are a couple of recipes that she uses. The first one is with lime jello. You make your lime jello according to the box and add the vegetable that you wish to taste, such as celery, carrots, etc. mold the jello in a dish such as a 9X9 according to how much jello you prepared. After it sets, you serve it by cutting your jello into squares (about a teaspoon size) and place the jello on a piece of lettace and top with REAL mayonaise. She said the key is the real mayonaise, or it will not taste right.

The other jello she likes to use that her sister use to make. She used orange jello and shredded carrots. She served it in the same manner as the lime jello.

Hope this helps.
Teresa

Anonymous
May 10th, 2004, 11:00 AM
My Grandmother always made this. Orange jello partialy set add shredded carrots and finely chopped cellery. The mayo topping was always served on the side. It was Miricle whip w/ sugar added to taste. then it was thinned down a bit with milk. use a mixer or whip by hand to get a smooth texture. We always had this with jellied cranberries for holidays too. I still make it.
Note: My grandma was a diabetic. Pre sugar free jello days. And I like to serve this banquits with out the topping now. She would have loved that.

She also made a lime jello partially set and whipped in softed cream cheese about 8 oz. to 2 or 3 large boxes of jello.

Hope this helps.[/b]

katzpawz
August 27th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Hi! Look under "Jewel Box Loaf" in this forum. I posted it here in the beginning of the month. This is soooooooo good! (though I'm a little shaky with the idea of eating it with mayo - just a personal preference)
Enjoy!
Katzpawz