View Full Version : Whole wheat biscuits

Kitchen Witch
October 25th, 2011, 05:17 AM
WHOLE WHEAT BISCUITS

2 cups whole wheat flour (could also use whole wheat pastry or spelt flour)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup oil or other shortening (I use canola or butter)
3/4 cup milk (could also use either soy or oatmilk)

Sift flour with salt and baking powder (I usually omit this step and just mix them). Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Make a well in center and add milk. Mix with fork until dough leaves sides of the bowl.

Turn onto floured board and knead lightly for 18 counts. Pat out 1-inch thick and cut with biscuit cutter. (I usually just pat them out in my hand). Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

VARIATIONS:

Shortcake
Add several drops stevia to flour mixture and use only 5 tablespoons shortening.

Sour Milk Biscuits
Substitute sour milk, buttermilk, or plain yogurt for sweet milk. Add 1/2 teaspoon soda and decrease baking powder to 1 teaspoon.

Cheese Biscuits
Add 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese with shortening. (I like to eat these with sausage and mustard. But they are just as good plain.)

Cinnamon Rolls
Shape mixture into rectangular sheet; flatten to about 1/3-inch; brush with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon, sprinkle with stevia, raisins and shopped nuts; roll like jelly roll and bake in greased pan as for biscuits.