View Full Version : Gravy Master BBQ Sauce

gwbasley
June 9th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Has anyone "cracked the code" on Gravey Master? I think it could be used to make a great BBQ sauce or steak sauce but it only comes in those tiny bottles. I would like to make up enough to use as a base for other sauces.

Kitchen Witch
June 10th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I have a recipe for Kitchen Bouquet/Gravy Master - comes in handy for me -

1/2 C. brown sugar
2 C. water

Place brown sugar in a pan on low heat and let it brown or parch, slowly stirring all the time - you don't want it to stick. When it turns a dark brown, add water, stirring well. Store in glass bottle or small jar. Adds color and thickens gravy.

You can also use a caramelized sugar in your BBQ sauce recipe.

gavind
June 10th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hi. "1/2 C. brown sugar". What does "C." Stand for? Apologies for the simple question. https://imagicon.info/cat/15-25/icon_biggrin.gif

Kitchen Witch
June 10th, 2012, 09:03 PM
c = cup
Hope that helps -

gwbasley
June 11th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks, I will try that. I also see Hydrolized Soy and Corn protein, ACV,salt, onion,celery, parsley and garlic, listed in that order which I guess I could expiriement with to get the right quantities. What would be a substitute for the Hydrolized soy...would soy sauce work here?

Kitchen Witch
June 11th, 2012, 11:30 AM
You're very welcomed. And as you can see - there are no preservatives, chemicals and additives when you make your own homemade.

Hydrolized soy is manufactured using very harsh artificial chemicals - not good in my book. I make as much as I can homemade in every department - that is the way I was raised.

I copied this from the net -
Hydrolyzed Soy Protein -- The extraction process of hydrolysis involves boiling in a vat of acid (e.g., sulfuric acid) and then neutralizing the solution with a caustic soda. The resultant sludge is scraped off the top and allowed to dry. In addition to soy protein it contains free-form excitotoxic amino acids (e.g., MSG) and other potentially harmful chemicals including cancer-causing chemicals in many cases. A newer method of hydrolysis involves the use of bacteria by itself or in addition to the chemical processes described above. There is a possibility that genetically-manipulated bacteria may be used.

The food industry sometimes uses large amount of hydrolyzed proteins as a "taste enhancer" because it contains significant amounts of MSG (monosodium glutamate). This is what is known in the food industry as "Clean Labels" -- adding MSG to food, without having to list it as "MSG" on the label.

In almost all cases, hydrolyzed soy protein contains a significant amount of genetically-manipulated soy. The hydrolyzed protein products currently added to foods should be considered a detriment to one's health. There are much healthier sources of soy protein and soy nutrients.

I don't do MSG in any form and it goes by over 2 dozen other names - if you do a search here you will find that I have posted it all.

As far as I am concerned - I don't need MSG in any form as a flavor enhancer in my foods - not at all.

I also found this on line -

Soy Sauce -- A generic name for a seasoning made from soybeans, water and salt. There are two main types of soy sauces, Shoyu and Tamari. Some heavily-processed soy sauces which can contain added MSG or artificial flavorings/colorings should be avoided. (Note: Small amounts of a structurally different "natural" MSG can be found in soy sauces, but it doesn't present a problem to most people.) Tamari and Shoyu are generally made with organic soybeans and can be found at almost all health food stores.

Sorry - I am not a fan of MSG, microwaves, aluminum foil, aluminum pans, etc. And I have stated it all here and on my blog.

gwbasley
June 12th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks for that, I just wasn't familiar with it as an ingredient. I fully agree with "keeping it natural", and I wasn't sure if this was an ingredient which, if ommitted, would effect the flavor...apparently it would be desirable to omit it!
Thanks so much for your input!

Kitchen Witch
June 12th, 2012, 06:34 PM
You're very welcomed!
Let us know if you try it and how it is.
Without using any MSG - you should still be able to get a fabulous flavor!