View Full Version : Share the recipe for your favorite homemade dish

admin
April 5th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Every good cook has one recipe which he/she loves to make. I'm talking about that "go to" recipe that always gets rave reviews from family and friends.

Please share that recipe with our community. If everybody contributes, we can all get some really great recipes from this post :) .

admin
April 5th, 2005, 12:15 AM
I'll start it off with one of my favorite dishes -

Peach Cobbler

6 cups sliced ripe peaches
2 cups brown sugar
2-4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup butter
pastry for double crust pie

In a Dutch oven, combine first 4 ingredients. Set aside until syrup forms.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.

Add vanilla & butter, stirring until butter melts.

Roll half of pastry to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into an 8 inch square. Spoon half of peach mixture into an 8 inch square pan (deep). Place pastry layer on top. Bake at 475 for 10-12 or until lightly browned.

Roll out remaining pastry and cut into strips. Pour remaining peach mixture on top and criss-cross pastry strips on top of peaches.

Bake at 475 for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.

Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Mum's Apricot Cheesecake Recipe

Base

155 grams plain bickies crushed
75g butter

Combine finely crushed bickie crumbs & butter mix well
Press mixture firmly onto base of dish
Refrigerate for 1 hour

Filling

470 gram can apricot nectar (big can
1 tablespoon gelatin
375 grams of cream cheese (
¼ cup caster sugar
1 tble spoon lemon juice extra
1 & ¼ cup of whipped cream

Measure 1 cup of nectar (rest for topping
Pour nectar into small saucepan sprinkle gelatin over place on low heat & stir until gelatin dissolves (no crystals left)
Allow to cool & thicken slightly don’t use hot
Beat softened cream cheese & sugar until smooth & creamy add lemon juice
Beat in apricot gelatin mixture then fold in the whipped cream gently
Then pour this mixture into crumb base then refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm

Topping

1 tble spoon sugar
3 teaspoons of corn flour
Into a saucepan stir in the remaining apricot nectar bring mixture to boil & stir constantly
Once it boils it will thicken as it starts to thicken it will get stripes through it when it comes to a boil it will get the glossy & orange the thicker u want the more c flour
Once thickened take off the heat let it cool a little then add brandy continue stirring for a couple of minutes
Spread over top of set cheesecake
Refrigerate until top set.

Enjoy! :lol:

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 01:19 AM
King Ranch Casserole

1 Fryer
1 (103/4 oz) Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 (101/4 oz) Cream of Chicken Soup
1 (10 oz) Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
1 Soup can of chicken broth
1 Dozen Corn tortillas cut into quarters
1 Onion Chopped
2 cups cheese grated

Place the fryer in a large pot with enough water to cover. Add salt,pepper,cummin,garlic, parsley,onion,and chili power(add to taste)
Cover and boil until tender. Debone chicken.
To make a sauce blend until smooth the two soups,the rotel tomatoes(it you can not find them use chopped tomatoes and add some chopped peppers.)
Grease a 21/2 quart casserole and begin layering chicken, 1/2 of tortillas,1/2 of the onion,1/2 of the cheese,and 1/2 of the sauce. Continue ending with the cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 for one hour.
It is great to put in slow cooker and come home and just have to put it together. Much easier then it sounds and worth the time.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Harvest Potatoes

32 oz. frozen Hash Browns, thawed (not the shredded ones)
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
8 oz. Sour Cream
8 oz. Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium onion, diced

Combine in greased 9 x 13 pan. Top with topping. Bake 350 degrees 45 min., cover lightly when topping starts to brown.

Topping:
2 cups Corn Flakes, crushed
1/4 cup Margarine, melted

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 01:45 AM
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE

ANGEL FOOD CAKE MIX OR JUST BUY ONE FROM THE BAKERY (Plain), Not the loaf, the CAKE!

1 plain Angel Food Cake
16 oz. fat free Cool Whip
1 (Lg) basket Fresh Strawberries

Directions: Make sure cake is cool, divide cake into half, I use my bread knife for this. and apply one coat of cool whip. Then slice strawberries and arrange closely together around cake. Top with the 2nd layer of angel food cake, and frost with rest of cool whip. Slice strawberries in half and arrange on top of cake for a nice decoration. Also slice strawberries, very thin and arrange all around the base of cake.

This is an easy Desert, and everyone loves it!!!!

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Martha Dibblee's Apple Pie
copyright martha g dibblee
dibblee@hevanet.com

Crust:

9 oz Crisco vegetable shortening
12 oz bread flour
1/4 cup cold tap water
about 1 tsp sea salt
about 2 Tbsp regular granulated sugar

I use the Cuisinart. First I pulse a few times to mix the flour & sugar & salt. Then I add the shortening & pulse about 10 times. Then add the water & pulse until it forms a loose ball, about 15-20 times.

Tear two rectangular sheets of waxed paper. Place one piece of waxed paper on the counter in a position wider than it's tall. Dump dough onto waxed paper. Form into a ball. Cut in half for a 2-crust pie, which is what this dough volume will make. Put one half aside. Make the other half into a ball & splat onto the wide piece of waxed paper. Flatten a to about 1". Cover w/ 2nd pc waxed paper placed so that it's taller than wide. Roll w/ rolling pin in a counterclockwise direction until the dough reaches the uncut edges of the waxed paper. Turn paper about 1/16th of a turn each time as you roll. ROLL ONLY IN a counterclockwise direction, turning each time. When dough reaches the uncut edges of the waxed paper, it's the correct size. Carefully peel off the top waxed paper. Replace. Turn dough over. Carefully peel off waxed paper. Carefully grasp two diagonal corners of the wax paper & lift so the dough folds in half. Lay the dough in the pie plate -- preferably Pyrex 10" fluted pie plate -- dough side down, first the dough half nearest you, then lay the other half down, & peel off the waxed paper. Fit & trim crust as needed. Prepare the sugar mix (1/2++ cup sugar, 1/3 tsp cinn, 1 tsp flour). Sprinkle the crust bottom w/ about 3 tbsp of the sugar-cinnamon-flour mixture . Fill w/ apples (3 lg Jonagold & 3 lg Granny Smith) cut in 1/8ths. Sprinkle remaining flour-sugar-cinn mixture over apples. Place three 1-tbsp pieces of real butter on top of mound of apples. Top w/ prepared crust, using waxed paper to lift the crust the same way as for the bottom crust. Seal crusts but don't use water to seal. Make 5 slits in the crust top for ventillation. Pour approx. 1/3 c white granulated sugar all over top crust from a sugar shaker. Bake in preheated 350 deg convection oven until done, about an hour & a half, depending on apples. To test for doneness, poke apples w/ a long bamboo skewer. Apples must not offer any resistance but at the same time should not be mushy. For protection against drips, place a cookie sheet lined w/ a silpat on the rack under the pie. DO NOT put pie plate on silpat or in cookie sheet. Cool for an hour, serve w/ice cream.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 02:09 AM
I liked this dish alot its really delicious.
Grilled vegetables:

any vegtebales you have: carrots, zucchini, green - red bell pepper, -Broccoli - Cauliflower - frozen corn

3 table spoon melted butter

spices: paprika - black pepper - salt - oregano - 1 table spoon olive oil

Method:
1- mix (spices + 1 tea spoon of melted butter).
2- after cleaning the vegetables very good cut them into slices or as you like. except the corn just cut in half if it is big size and the broccoli- cauliflower into florets.
3- mix the vegtables with the sauce in step 1 very well.
4- cook the vegtables on steamer for just 7 - 10 minutes.
5- minewhile mix the rest of the melted butter with minced black pepper.
6- prepare the grill and put the vegtables on them and from time to time grease them using a brush with the butter and black pepper mixture.
and turn them from one side to another.

its really easy and doesn't take any time .. hope you well like it.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Pork Chops & Vegetables

pork chops with bone in (use as many as you need)
3/4 c long grain rice
1 can stewed tomatoes
1/2 c chopped onions
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 cup corn
garlic to taste
1/2 tsp thyme
Trim fat and cook in skillet. Remove fat & leave grease, won't be much.
Brown Pork chops, remove to plate, saute onions, then add rice, tomatoes, & 3/4 can of water, corn, garlic, thyme, and replace chops on top of veg. Cover, and simmer about 30 min or un
til rice is done.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Bananna Bread

4 Cup of Sugar
2 Tsp. of Baking Soda
8 Cups of ALL POURPOSE FLOUR
4 Tsp. of Baking Powder
2 Tsp. of Salt
4 Sticks of Margrine
8 Eggs
8 Over Ripe Banannas

DIRECTIONS:

PREHEAT OVEN to 350 Degres
Mix the Sugar, Flour, and Margrine together in Large Bowl continue to add eggs, Baking Powder,
Baking Soda and Salt and Banannas. Mix together until all blended Well.
Grease the bottom of the mini bread pans.

Cook Bread at 350 Degres for 25 Minutes or until golden brown.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 02:34 AM
BANANNA BREAD
4 Cup of Sugar
2 Tsp. of Baking Soda
8 Cups of ALL POURPOSE FLOUR
4 Tsp. of Baking Powder
2 Tsp. of Salt
4 Sticks of Margrine
8 Eggs
8 Over Ripe Banannas

DIRECTIONS:

PREHEAT OVEN to 350 Degres
Mix the Sugar, Flour, and Margrine together in Large Bowl continue to add eggs, Baking Powder,
Baking Soda and Salt and Banannas. Mix together until all blended Well.
Grease the bottom of the mini bread pans.

Cook Bread at 350 Degres for 25 Minutes or until golden brown.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 02:51 AM
CHICKEN-n-DUMPLINGS

10 Pieces of chicken legs cleaned (NOT SKINNED)

2 Chicken Boulon Cubes

1 Lg. or Family Sz. Can of Campbells Cream of Chicken Soup

2 Pks. of Kettle Dumplings (break dumplings into 3parts before placing in water)

Salt and Peper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Cook chicken for 5-6 hours over medium heat and then remove chicken from water and debone
(DO NOT DRAIN WATER)

Raise heat to medium high and place soup in water stir well.

Place dumplings in water and then place deboned chicken in water cook until desired consistancy.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 03:51 AM
GARLIC SAUCE for Hot Grilled or Roasted Vegetables

I 'discovered' this sauce in a book loaned to me by a precious friend.
Enjoy - it is really different but extremely yum!

GARLIC SAUCE:
1-2 cloves Garlic, crushed
1/2 cup Light Sour Cream
2 tspns English Mustard
1 tblsp Hot water

Mix all ingredients together, and serve with hot grilled/roasted vegetables.
------

i liked this dish alot its really delicious.

Grilled vegetables:

any vegtebales you have: carrots, zucchini, green - red bell pepper, -Broccoli - Cauliflower - frozen corn

3 table spoon melted butter

spices: paprika - black pepper - salt - oregano - 1 table spoon olive oil

Method:
1- mix (spices + 1 tea spoon of melted butter).
2- after cleaning the vegetables very good cut them into slices or as you like. except the corn just cut in half if it is big size and the broccoli- cauliflower into florets.
3- mix the vegtables with the sauce in step 1 very well.
4- cook the vegtables on steamer for just 7 - 10 minutes.
5- minewhile mix the rest of the melted butter with minced black pepper.
6- prepare the grill and put the vegtables on them and from time to time grease them using a brush with the butter and black pepper mixture.
and turn them from one side to another.

its really easy and doesn't take any time .. hope you well like it.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Gratin Potatoes

Oven Temp – 400 degrees

Butter 9 X 13 pan

Peel and thinly slice 6 – 8 BAKING potatoes

Place in buttered pan

In a bowl pour 1 quart of whipping cream

Salt and pepper (2 tsps each)

3 cloves MINCED garlic

Stir and pour over potatoes.

Bake @ 400 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes

I used 8 LARGE baking potatoes and 1 quart and a pint of the whipping cream (I had the pint because I was going to whip it up for a dessert I never made. In the end I had two --9 X 13 size pans.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Chicken Satay Recipe picked up from Chef in Kuala Lumpar in Malaysia...Perfect for the coming Summer Bar B Que evenings....and all my friends beg me to make this every time....

Ingredients

2 Chicken Breasts (Skinned & Boned)

Marinade:
4 tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp fresh coriander
1 tbsp caster sugar
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 red or green chilli, deseeded.
Salt & Pepper

Sauce:
2 tbsp oil
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 red or green chilli, deseeded and chopped.
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
8 tbsp peanut butter
8 tbsp chicken stock or water
1 tbsp block coconut

Instructions:

1) Soak 8 wooden skewers in a large shallow dish of cold water for at least 30 minutes. This will prevent the skewers from burning on the hot grill.

2) Cut the chicken lengthwise into 8 long strips. Thread the strips of chicken, concertina style, onto skewers and set them aside while you make marinade.
3) Place ingredients for marinade in a food processor and process until smooth.

4) Coat the chicken with marinade and leave to chill for at least 2 hours.

5) To make sauce, heat oil in a small pan and fry onion and chilli until they are softened but not browned. Stir in the spices and cook for one minute. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and cook mixture gently for 5 minutes. Keep warm.

6) Barbecue(Grill) chicken skewers for about 10 minutes, basting with any remaining marinade.

Serve with sauce immediately.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Beef and Cheese Casserole

A wonderful and tasty dish your family and friends will love!! :D

4 cups large pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 - 4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 can (10 oz.) tomato soup
1 can (10 oz.) cream of mushroom soup
1 can (7 1/2 oz.) tomato sauce
Salt and pepper
2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and put in a large casserole dish.

Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add garlic, onion, celery, mushrooms, and green pepper. Cook and stir until vegetables are soft. Remove from heat and add to casserole dish.

Add ground beef to the frying pan and cook and stir until browned. (If you have a large enough frying pan you can cook the vegetables and ground beef together.) Drain fat and add ground beef to the casserole dish.

Add soups and tomato sauce to the casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper.

Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese to the casserole. Mix all together to blend.

Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove cover for the last few minutes to melt the cheese if necessary. Makes 8 servings.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Lemon Bundt cake

Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.

1 package lemon cake mix
1 (3.4 oz.) package instant lemon pudding mix
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs
1 cup 7-up or other lemon lime soda

In a large bowl, combine cake mix and pudding mix.
Stir in oil. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in soda.
Pour batter into prepared pan. bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Allow to cool. Remove from pan.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Easiest Chicken

Boneless skinless chicken breast
Italian dressing
Provalone cheese sliced
Italian bread crumbs
toothpicks

I like to marinate the chicken but that is not necessary.

Pound chicken out with meat tenderizer (sp?) Dip in Italian dressing place sliced cheese on chicken and roll up put toothpick in the hold the roll. Place in dish bake at 350-375 until done usually 30 min.

This is fast easy and great. I can get hubby to do anything if I make this for him! :wink:

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 08:01 AM
NEIMAN-MARCUS COOKIES

2 cups butter
24 oz chocolate chips
4 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsb. soda
1 tsb. salt
2 cups sugar
1-8oz Hershey Bar (grated)
5 cups blended oatmeal
4 eggs
2 tsb. baking powder
2 tsb. vanilla
3 cups chopped nut (your choice)

Measure oatmeal and blend in blender to fine powder
Cream the butter and both sugars
Add eggs and vanilla mix together flour oatmeal salt
baking powder and soda.
Add choclate bar and nut's
Roll into Ball's and place two inches apart on cookie
Sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degress Makes 112 Cookies

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Easy, Tasty Meat Loaf

Anyone like 'meatloaf'? This is a good one...hope you enjoy it too :D

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 (16-oz.) can tomato sauce divided
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped peeled onion
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, mix together ground beef, half the tomato sauce, bread crumbs, onion, egg, salt and pepper. Shape into a loaf and place in a 9x5x3-inch pan. Combine remaining tomato sauce, water, brown sugar and cider vinegar; pour over meatloaf. Bake for 1 hour and serve warm.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Company Chicken

1 pkg. onion soup mix
1 jar apricot jam (large or small depending upon amount needed)
1 bottle Catalina salad dressing (large or small - same as jam)
1 can whole cranberry sauce (optional)

Mix all ingredients well and pour over chicken in 9 x 13 pan. Cover with foil. Bake @ 350 degrees until chicken is done. Generally about 45 minutes for 8 boneless, skinless breasts of chicken.

I usually serve this with rice/stuffing (Stove top is quick and easy if time is an issue) and pour some of the extra sauce over the rice/stuffing and then put the chicken breast on top. Serve with a green vegetable to balance out the orange color of the sauce/chicken. This is one of my families favorites and I have served it for many events. Also makes a good dish to take over to a neighbor/friend's house....line the dish that you are going to take with you with rice/stuffing, place the chicken on top and then pour some of the extra sauce over the entire dish, cover and transport! This was passed down to me from my mom! Enjoy!! :D

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 08:50 AM
This is great for a family gathering or for the sports fanatic. My husband always asks me to make this for his friends when they gather for the SuperBowl. It is a huge hit!!

Beef Taco Dip

2 lbs ground beef
2 packets taco seasoning (I use the Taco Bell Packets)
2 bricks Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1 16 oz Sour Cream
1 16 oz jar mild salsa sause
1 large tomato diced into small cubes
3 cups shredded lettuce
1 bag shredded colby/montery jack cheese
I big bag Tortilla chips

Brown beef on medium high heat. When almost cooked, add the packets of taco seasoning and mix well. Remove from heat and let cool.
In a bowl, blend together the cream cheese and the sour cream.
Once the beef has cooled, layer on the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch casserole.
Now you will layer the cream cheese and sour cream mixture over the beef. followed by the salsa, tomatoes, lettuce and finishing it off with the colby/montery jack cheese.

People can dip their tortilla chips right into the casserole pan or they can spoon portions onto small plates.

Enjoy!!

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 08:52 AM
"Elvis' Special Recipe Cheeseburger Meatloaf"

I originally got this one from "Paula's Home Cooking" on the Food Network ... It was Elvis Presley's personal favorite meatloaf:

1 lb ground beef
1 tsp house seasoning (see recipe below)
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 medium bell pepper (chopped)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup crushed ritz crackers
1 tsp lawry's seasoned salt
2 slices white bread

paula's house seasoning:

1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months. makes 1 1/2 cups.

pre-heat oven to 350F.

mix all ingredients together, except bread slices. shape into loaf. line a 1 1/2 quart loaf pan with the bread slices. place meatloaf on top (bread soaks up grease, and should be thrown away after meatloaf is done)

** special note

instead of actually watching the oven time, i just use a meat thermometer intermittently until the center of the loaf reaches about 160F.

special cheese sauce for meatloaf (optional):

1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar
chopped onions, optional
1 bunch fresh parsley leaves, chopped, optional

heat the soup and milk over medium heat; add the cheese. Add the chopped onions and parsley to the sauce, if desired. Pour Sauce over the meatloaf or pass at the table.

since i am an elvis fan, i make this on occassion when i have friends over for dinner. i serve it on a special "elvis" serving dish (you guessed it ... has a full color picture of the king on the plate).

of all the different kinds of meatloaf i have had over the years, this one really takes the cake. by using the bread slices to soak up the grease, and by not using any pork, this meatloaf not only turns out tasting incredible, but has a lower fat content than many others.

enjoy !

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I'm asked to bring this to all the partys.

Macoroni and cheese

1 can of tomato soup
1 box of ziti
1 bag of chedder cheese or chedder and monteray cheese (8oz)
bread crumbs

Cook the ziti and then add the soup and cheese in a cassorole dish. top with bread crumbs and dot with margarine or butter. Bake for about half hour at 350.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Hello Becky; I too have that wonderful chicken recipe and it is great!! I make it quite often when I need something quick and good!! Folks you have to try it, you will love it... :lol:

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Re: Mum’s Apricot Cheesecake recipe

Where do you live? I don't know your measurments or some of your ingredients. Bickies???? :roll: quote="cheriej389"]Base

75g butter

Refrigerate for 1 hour

Filling

1 tablespoon gelatin
¼ cup caster sugar

Pour nectar into small saucepan sprinkle gelatin over place on low heat & stir until gelatin dissolves (no crystals left)
Then pour this mixture into crumb base then refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm

Topping

1 tble spoon sugar
Into a saucepan stir in the remaining apricot nectar bring mixture to boil & stir constantly
Once it boils it will thicken as it starts to thicken it will get stripes through it when it comes to a boil it will get the glossy & orange the thicker u want the more c flour
Once thickened take off the heat let it cool a little then add brandy continue stirring for a couple of minutes

Enjoy! :lol:[/quote]

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Macaroni and Cheese with hot dogs

My kids love this one. Enjoy!

1 lb. elbow macaroni
1 lb. American cheese slices
1 lb. Hot dogs
3 C. thin white sauce

350 degree oven

White Sauce
3 T. margarine melted in med. saucepan
3 T. flour
3 C. milk
onion powder salt and pepper to taste

Melt margarine and add flour until smooth and bubbly. Add milk and stir continually until it starts to boil. Boil and stir 1 minute. Add cheese slices slowly and stir until melted.

In ovenproof cassarole cook macaroni, drain and rinse. Pour White sauce and stir thoroughly. Cut hot dogs in half and push them down into noodles. I usually make a smiley face. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. :D

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Wimpy Burgers

We ate this as children (I have seven brothers and sisters) and my kids all love it, too. Very easy, very quick, very cheap.

2 lbs hamburger
1 onion chopped
1 family sized can Campbell's tomato soup
1/3 loaf of Velveeta cheese or to taste, chunked
1 tbs worchestershire sauce
Salt, pepper, garlic powder

Brown hambuger, onion, spices and worchestershire sauce. Drain. Add soup and cheese, cook until cheese has melted, stirring occasionally. We put these on hamburger buns (kinda like sloppy joes) or over Frito's.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 09:35 AM
The whole family loves this one! Youngest daughter used to always want meatloaf for her birthday dinner. Now she asks for this one.

Chicken Parmesan
Serves 4

 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled and minced
 ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, preferably Red Pack, Progresso, or Muir Glen Ground Peeled
 ½ teaspoon dried basil
 ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
 ¼ teaspoon sugar
 Salt and ground black pepper
 1 large egg
 Salt and ground black pepper
 2 cups breadcrumbs from day-old bread (I use Orowheat country style white bread)
 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (8 ounces each), tenderloins removed, cut in half horizontally and pounded to ¼ inch thickness
 ¼ cup olive oil
 ¾ cup (3 ounces) grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
 ¼ cup (½ ounce) grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for passing
 8 ounces spaghetti or linguine

1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat garlic and oil together over medium-high heat until garlic starts to sizzle. Stir in tomatoes, basil, oregano, sugar, a pinch of salt, and a couple of grinds of pepper; bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer until sauce thickens a bit and flavors blend. Taste sauce, adjusting salt if necessary. Cover and keep warm.
2. Bring 2 to 3 quarts of water to boil in a large soup kettle. Beat egg and a heaping ¼ teaspoon salt in a small pie plate or other shallow dish until completely broken up. Mix breadcrumbs, a heaping ¼ teaspoon salt, and a grind or two of pepper in another small pie plate or shallow baking dish.
3. Preheat broiler. Dip both sides of each cutlet in the beaten egg, then in the breadcrumb mixture. Set cutlets on large wire rack set over a jelly roll pan.
4. Add 2 teaspoons salt and the spaghetti to the boiling water. Boil while cutlets sauté.
5. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a 12-inch skillet. When oil starts to shimmer, add cutlets and sauté until golden brown on each side, about 5 to 6 minutes total. Don’t crowd the pan. Depending on size, you may need to cook in two batches. Transfer the cooked cutlets back to wire rack and top each with equal portions of mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Place pan of cutlets 4 to 5 inches from heat source and broil until cheese melts and is spotty brown, about 3 minutes. Drain spaghetti.
6. Transfer a chicken cutlet and a portion of spaghetti to each of 4 plates. Spoon two or three tablespoons of sauce over part of each cutlet, then sauce the spaghetti as desired. Serve immediately with extra Parmesan passed separately.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Whenever I have a pot roast to make, this is a tried 'n' true at my house:

NEW ENGLAND POT ROAST

4 lb. beef roast
1 c. water
1 t. salt
8 small potatoes, peeled, halved
½ t. pepper
4 carrots, cut into fourths
1 jar (5 oz.) horseradish sauce
1 onion, chopped
Vegetable oil cooking spray

Spray pot amply with cooking spray; heat pot, then add beef. Cook over medium heat until all sides of beef are brown; reduce heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread horseradish sauce over beef; add the water. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2 ½ hours. Add vegetables; cover and cook until beef and vegetables are tender, about 1 hour longer.
Makes 8 servings.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Sweetened Condensed Milk Recipe Substitute

Pour 1 cup boiling water over
1/4 cup butter*
Add 2 cups white sugar and beat well. (I use an electric mix master.)
Add 4 cups skim milk powder and beat altogether until sugar is dissolved.

This makes enough for several recipes.
Keeps well in refrigerator.

2/3 cup equals 1/2 can of sweetened condensed milk.
1 1/3 cups equals one can.

*Note:
This was tried with vegetable oil for the fat part and it turned out well.

Mazetta
Homemade marshmallow crème

2 egg whites, at room temperature
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar

Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in large bowl until stiff; set aside.
In a 1 quart saucepan, combine corn syrup, water, and sugar.
Place over high heat and stir with a wooden spoon until mixture comes to a boil.
If sugar crystals are present, wash down sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush.

Clip on candy thermometer.
Cook syrup to 242o F (120o C) or soft-ball stage.
Beating constantly with electric mixer, slowly pour hot syrup into egg whites; continue beating several minutes until mixture holds its shape.
Use immediately, or refrigerate in a covered container for us to 2 weeks.
Makes enough for 2 batches of fondant.

Variation
Thin Mazetta with a little hot water for a tasty ice cream topping.

Can use ‘egg white powder in this recipe.
Use 1 tablespoon egg white powder with 2 tablespoons water for each egg white.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 10:01 AM
I reall think this is a great idea. As I know most cooks have at least one they use alot. I know I did when I was cooking for the family. Now I don't cook much. Keep ideas coming.
Thanks
Virginia
:D :D

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 10:22 AM
:?: The recipe for Easiest Chicken sounds really good, but one question...do you dip the chicken in the bread crumbs before you bake it? No mention of when to use the bread crumbs that are listed in the ingredients. Thanks.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Green Godess Sauce - This is a great dipping sauce for chips, grilled/roasted/fried meats, vegetables and a great marinade. I also like it as a beverage.

2 bunches - cilantro tops
5 cloves garlic
6 Seranno peppers (de-seed for milder sauce)
1/2 ea. - large white, yellow and red onion
6 med tomatillo
3 medium Roma tomatos
1 bunch green onion with trimmed roots
1 green bell pepper
2 med avocado
1/2 cup sour cream
1/8 cup lemon juice
1/8 cup lime juice
1 tblspn salt
1 tblspn black pepper

wash and de-leaf (tomatillos, garlic, onions) all ingredients as needed. combine in a large (3 quart) blender and set for puree. It can be blended in stages if your blender is not large enough to do all ingredients at once. Combine pureed ingredients in large enough container and chill for several hours.[/b]

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 10:48 AM
LAZY DAY COBLER

ONE STICK BUTTER OR MARGERAN
ONE CUP SELF RISING FLOUR
ONE CUP SUGAR
1/2 CUP MILK
2 CUPS CAN FRUIT

MELT BUTTER IN GLASS BAKING DISH. COMBINE FLOUR, SUGAR, AND MILK. POUR OVER MELTED BUTTER. POUR FRUIT WITH JUICE OVER THE FLOUR MIXTURE. BAKE IN 350 DRGREE OVEN TILL GOLDEN BROWN.
THIS WAS A DISH MY MOM USED TO MAKE BEFORE SHE DIED, AND NOW I MAKE IT FOR MY FAIMLEY. I HOPE YOU LIKE IT

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Colcannon
It’s a traditional Irish dish that is served on Halloween eve dinner.

Serves 4 – 8 persons. I cut the recipe in half for 2 person.
1. I Pound cabbage, cored, and shredded
2. 2 Pounds white boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
3. 2 small leeks, including the white and light green only
4. 1 Cup milk
5. Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
6. ½ tsp. Ground mace
7. 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) butter plus 2 Tbsp. Butter cut into small pieces

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. In separate saucepans, cook the cabbage and potatoes in salted boiling water for 12 – 15 mins. or until tender. Drain cabbage and chop coarsely. Drain the potatoes and mash
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the leeks and milk. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 – 10 mins., or until the leeks are tender
3. Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, and mace to the pan and stir over low heat until well blended
4. Add cabbage and the 8 Tbsp. Butter and stir again until blended

To serve:
Mound Colcannon on dinner plates, and make a well in the center of the mashed Colcannon, place a piece of the remaining butter in the well. Dip each fork full into the butter, and enjoy

Serve with Crusty bread and green salad for a complete meal or use as a side dish.

J Dingman April 5, 2005

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Hi all,
This has got to be the #1 most favorite recipe of mine and seems like everyone else in my family. I get requests to make this more than anything else I cook. The recipe is over a hundred years old came over with my Great Grandmother from Hungary. There were never any written down instructions, just learned it from her and my Dad by watching and helping make it. Hope you like it too.

Hungarian Sausage Soup With Dumplings
(Source Sophia (Koch) Hoff)
This was how Grossmutter Hoff made this soup. She usually made the Spätzle but once in a while would also make the other 3 rd kind of dumpling. Grossmutter Weigler would always use the 2nd kind of dumplings with this soup and other soups. I always make the Spatzle when making this.

Lrg soup pot full of water 2 to 3 tsps paprika Salt to taste Spätzle (dumplings), as many as you want
Garlic powder, opt. 6 lbs smoked garlic sausage in casings (the red kind) cut into medium thick slices

Slice sausage into medium sized slices, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Put into a large soup or stock pot and fill pot with water. Bring to a boil on high heat. When water begins to boil, turn heat down to medium and allow to simmer. Add paprika and salt to taste (will need very little salt and no pepper as sausage will be spicy enough). Allow to simmer for about 2 hours. Do not boil. When just about done, make the dough for the Spätzle. Add the Spätzle by teaspoonfuls to the soup and cook according to recipe below. (until they rise to the surface). Serve hot with a hard crust bread.
NOTE: The dumpling dough will separate from the spoon when spoon is dipped into the soup. Fresh snipped parsley may be added to soup in bowl for garnish.

Hungarian Spätzle
My Hungarian family have always pronounced this as shpetz-leh

750 g flour 3 eggs 1 tsp. salt 1/2 litre water

Mix flour, eggs, and a little salt with water into a paste. Do not beat! Drop bit by bit into boiling salted water (the more the better). Two approaches work here, either:
(a) lower 1 tsp of the paste into the boiling water (the spaetzle will separate from the spoon and start to cook) one by one
(b) use a coarse grater to force drops of the paste into the water. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes then strain (and rinse, optional). You don't want to over cook these much, so if you place the paste in spoon by spoon you may have to do a batch of 10 or 20 spoonfuls, then cook 2 minutes, then another batch, etc.

Csipetke 2
Hungarian Dumplings
These dumplings are designed to be served with goulash but can be used with any stew or soup. Kids love to help make these
Yield: 1 Batch

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 tbsp salt 2 eggs approx. 1/3 cup water

.Mix the flour, salt and eggs, together and add just enough water to form a stiff dough. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes. Roll the dough out, to the thickness of 1/2 " and cut into 1/2" wide stripes. Pinch off small pieces, each about the size of a bean, and shape the pieces into tiny balls. Cook the Csipetke in a large pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes until they float to the surface or drop them directly into the stew or soup.

Rivilchas or Tarhonya for Soup
A tiny chewy dumpling for Hungarian soups, they were made fresh and cooked in the soup in the big stock pot after the meat and whole vegetables were removed to a separate serving platter or when plain sausage soup was made they were ladled into the bowls with the soup. They cook up chewy, better than any noodle. Tarhonya can also be made in large bulk as the Ancient Hungarians made. These were dried hard and stored in a large container for years without spoiling.

2 cups sifted flour 2 whole eggs 1/2 tsp. salt

Mix the flour, eggs and salt together. Knead to make a stiff dough. You may add a little water if the dough is too stiff. Grate on the medium side of a grater. Rivilchas or Tarhonya should be the size of dried peas. Let the Tarhonya dry for 1/2 hour and then add to boiling water 1/2 cup at a time and cook till done. Drain and serve in hot Sausage or Beef Soup, Chicken Soup or Tomato Soup.
Note: If you have a large pot of boiling soup, you can cook these Rivilchas or Tarhonya in the soup.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Jalepeno cream cheese corn

everyone loves this at holidays

1 pkg. philly cream cheese
1 or 2 jalapenos, depending how spicy u like
3 TBSP. butter or margareine
2 cans whole kernel corn

1.) In med. saucepan melt the butter and cream cheese

2.) Add the diced jalapenos

3.) when cream cheese and butter are melted add corn and let cook until mixed.

It is a favorite of my families.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Quick Supper idea

I like things fast when I come home from work. One of my famorites is

Grill chicken breast or as many as you like
season the chicken with cajun spice rub
lettuce
cheese
pepper of choice
onions
Ranch dressing

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 12:12 PM
:?: The recipe for Easiest Chicken sounds really good, but one question...do you dip the chicken in the bread crumbs before you bake it? No mention of when to use the bread crumbs that are listed in the ingredients. Thanks.

Did you ever get a response to this? I was wondering the same thing.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 12:14 PM
What do you do with the breadcrumbs?

Easiest Chicken

Italian dressing
Provalone cheese sliced
Italian bread crumbs
toothpicks

Pound chicken out with meat tenderizer (sp?) Dip in Italian dressing place sliced cheese on chicken and roll up put toothpick in the hold the roll. Place in dish bake at 350-375 until done usually 30 min.

This is fast easy and great. I can get hubby to do anything if I make this for him! :wink:

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Excellent pie

This recipe was in the paper a couple of years ago. Takes along time to make, but it is excellent. I have been offered $30.00 for this pie, but prefer the smile it puts on my family's face! :mrgreen:

White chocolate strawberry shortcake pie

For white-chocolate glaze:

1/3 cup heavy cream

4 ounces white chocolate, chopped

For cream-cheese filling:

8 ounces cream cheese, softened

1 cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

16 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed

To assemble pie:

1 (9-inch) layer butter-recipe yellow cake, cooled (use a mix or your favorite scratch recipe)

1 (10-inch) deep-dish pie crust, baked and cooled

4 cups fresh strawberries

1 (13.5-ounce container) strawberry glaze (see note)

2 ounces white chocolate, chopped

2 teaspoons shortening

To prepare white-chocolate glaze: Heat cream in a small saucepan until steaming; add white chocolate. Remove from heat and stir until chocolate is melted. Set aside.

To prepare cream-cheese filling: Beat cream cheese until fluffy; gradually beat in powdered sugar, then vanilla. Fold in whipped topping. Set aside.

To assemble pie: Trim outside edge of cake layer so that cake will fit into the bottom of the pie crust; set cake trimmings aside for garnish. Split cake layer horizontally.

Spread 1/3 of cream-cheese filling in the pie crust. Invert the top half of the cake layer, cut side up, into the filled crust. Spread with 1/2 of the white-chocolate glaze. Spread remaining white-chocolate glaze onto the cut surface of remaining cake half.

Rinse and dry berries. Select a few of the prettiest berries; set aside for garnish. Stem and slice remaining berries. Combine sliced berries with strawberry glaze; stir carefully to coat. Spread about half the glazed berry slices over the cake in the pie crust. Invert bottom half of cake layer (glazed side down) over berries.

Frost sides and top of cake with remaining cream-cheese filling, smoothing the surface. (It should look like a frosted cake sitting in a pie shell.) Grind the reserved cake trimmings into crumbs; press into sides of cake. Arrange remaining glazed berries on top. Spoon whipped topping into a pastry bag; pipe on decorative rosettes.

Melt white chocolate with shortening; drizzle over top and sides. Garnish with reserved whole berries.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 12:16 PM
I've found that an excellent, never fail substitute for the dumplings is commercially-prepared flour tortillas, sliced into strips, and dropped individually into the boiling broth. They come out the consistency that Grandma used to make, and it works every time. It also tends to thicken the broth a bit.

CHICKEN-n-DUMPLINGS

2 Chicken Boulon Cubes

2 Pks. of Kettle Dumplings (break dumplings into 3parts before placing in water)

Salt and Peper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Cook chicken for 5-6 hours over medium heat and then remove chicken from water and debone
(DO NOT DRAIN WATER)

Place dumplings in water and then place deboned chicken in water cook until desired consistancy.

carbel
April 5th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Pasta Alfredo with Chicken and Bacon

This is a favorite for both my family and my husband's family. I make it EVERY time we get together. I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't like it. It's super quick to make and can be eaten hot with salad and bread or cold as a pasta salad. I came up with the recipe after eating Farfalle al Sugo Bianco at the Macaroni Grille...I hope I spelled all of that right. It's not exactly like the Macaroni Grille's, but it doesn't have to be, since it's mine, right?

This was the first thing I ever made for my husband, and he's been all mine since that night...the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. :D

I've even published this in some of our family cookbooks. I'm very proud of this recipe and would love your feedback on it.

I would say this serves about four...my family of three eats it for dinner then my daughter and I usually finish it off the next day for lunch.

Ingredients

½ lb pasta (rotini or bowtie)
1 jar Alfredo Sauce
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
½ lb bacon
3 green onions, chopped
Garlic, Salt & Pepper, to taste
Olive oil

Boil pasta in salted water. Cut chicken into bite size pieces and cook with garlic, salt and pepper. Fry or bake bacon and chop into small pieces. Pour alfredo sauce into a saucepan, use milk to rinse remaining sauce out of jar. Add chicken, half of bacon and half of green onions to sauce, heat until warm. Pour sauce over cooked and drained pasta, toss to coat. Top with remaining bacon and green onions.

NOTE: Cook the chicken anyway you like. I have boiled it, fried it, marinated and grilled it, & rolled it in italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and fried it. My favorite, by far, is to place the cut up raw chicken into a bowl with about ¼ cup of olive oil, add about 4 cloves of crushed garlic, let it sit for about 10 minutes, salt it, then dump it all in a nonstick skillet to quick fry. Then you just kind of drain it and add it to your sauce.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Toasted Herb Rice

1 C long grain rice
2 T butter or margarine
1 Can (10 oz.) chicken or beef broth, boiling
3/4 C water, boiling
4 green onions, chopped
2 T soy sauce
1 tsp dried tarragon or basil leaves

Put rice into ovenproof casserole dish that has a lid. Place into oven set at 325°. Roast for 20 minutes or until rice is toasted and golden. Remove

Add butter to rice, and stir until melted. Pour boiling broth and water over rice. Stir.

Cover and return to oven. Bake 30 minutes or rice is done and has absorbed liquid.

Stir in finely chopped green onions, soy sauce and herb of your choice.

ENJOY

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 12:54 PM
I am always asked to bring this to potlucks, and it is always a hit. The ammounts vary. If brocolli is on sale I use more, if it is expensive less. Same with cheese. I prefer brown rice, but have also made it well with white.

Cook rice by your favorite recipe. (I use two parts salted water to one part rice, bring to boil, cover pan reduce heat and cook until water is absorbed.)

When rice is almost cooked, add brocolli. I use either frozen or fresh. If using fresh, cut head into small pieces. Peal stem and slice about 1/8 inch slices. When rice is finished cooking the brocolli should be done also. Then add Cream of Mushroom soup and grated chedder cheese. I like sharp, but medium works also.

For a potluck, I usually use 1 pound of rice, about a pound of brocolli, a family size can of soup and from a half pound to a pound of cheese. This makes enough to fill my crock pot, which always works well for take along meals. Also good put into a casserole with bread crumb topping and baked until top is brown.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Mock Beef Stroganoff
1 lb ground beef
1/2 c. chpd onion
1 -l0oz can crm of mushroom soup
1/2 can water
l c. sour cream
1/4 c. ketsup
1 TB worchestershire sauce
--fry meat and onions til no longer pink.
add remainder of ingredients and simmer
l0 min. Serve over hot rice or egg noodles

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Fresh Lemon Cake
3 cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 cup butter (softened) (no substitutes)
1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
6 large eggs
2 Tbs. FRESH lemon juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Lemon Glaze

Place all ingredients (except Lemon Glaze) in large mixer bowl, in the order as given. Beat at low speed for 1 minute, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed. Spoon batter into greased and floured tube pan. Bake at 325 deg. for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until long wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Drizzle evenly with Lemon Glaze.

Lemon Glaze
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 Tbs. FRESH lemon juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
Stir all ingredients together until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 03:11 PM
chili cheese dip

This appetizer gets rave reviews and is sooooo easy to make:

1 pkg (6 oz) cream cheese
1 can Hormel chili without beans
1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, taco blend or monterey jack-cheddar)

Place cream cheese on microwave safe dish, cover with wax paper or plastic wrap; heat until softened (approximately 1 minute on high). Spread evenly on dish; pour hormel chili over cream cheese; top with shredded cheese. Cover and heat on high for approximately 5 minutes or until heated through. Serve with tortilla chips.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I have a recipe that is similar to this...After you dip the chicken in the dressing, then dip in bread crumbs. Hope this helps...

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 04:22 PM
GRANDPA JACKSON’S BURRITOS

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. of bulk breakfast sausage (links work well too)
1/2 pkg. of chorizo (pork or beef)
1-1/2 pkg. grated cheddar and Monterey jack cheese
1 lg. cans (32 oz) Hunts Chili beans
Fresh crushed garlic to taste, OR garlic powder
1 dozen large flour tortillas

Sauté hamburger and sausage together until done. (drain if necessary) Set aside. Sauté chorizo until done. Add other two meats. Add beans and garlic. Cook 10-20 minutes stirring often to avoid burning. Add grated cheeses. Stir constantly for another 15–20 minutes or so. Let cool about 10-15 minutes. Scoop mixture on tortillas and roll. These are delicious! Great for parties, pot luck, or to freeze individually. ( the kids can zap in micro) Serve with a green salad.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Mom’s Two Layer Carrot Cake
Given by Fern Bligh: 1973

This recipe makes GREAT muffins! Also can be baked in a bundt pan!

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp. Baking soda
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Salt
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1-1/2 cup cooking oil (Crisco or Wesson)
2 cups peeled, grated carrots
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained; in-its-own-juice
1-1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:

Throw together in order in a large mixing bowl. Stir well. Bake at 350F for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 lb. powdered sugar
1 stick butter
1-8 oz. cream cheese
1 Tbs. vanilla extract

Cream together with a mixer.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Raspberry Icebox Dessert

This is such a yummy recipe.I get rave reviews every time I make it. I am sure you will too.... :D

2 pkgs. (3 oz each) raspberry gelatin
2 cups boiling water
3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 32 squares)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 cups cold milk
1 pkg. (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 pkg. (8 oz) cream cheese, softened

In a bowl, combine gelatin and water; stir until gelatin is
dissolved. Fold in raspberries. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until
syrupy.
In a small bowl, combine cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and butter.
Press into a greased 9x13 pan. In mixing bowl, beat milk and pudding
on low for 2 minutes. In another bowl, beat cream cheese until
smooth. Gradually add pudding. Spread over crust. Spoon gelatin
mixture over top. Chill until set. Refrigerate leftovers. Yields: 12-
15 servings.

[/b]

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Twenty-five years ago I went to a friend's house for dinner; she made this. After that I was hooked. I've been collecting and tweaking with recipes ever since, and you know? As simple and unassuming as this one is, to this day--its still my best one and I have some good stuff! I've been asked for it so many times, I finally ended up leaving extra copies in my box for when I take it somewhere or make it for someone else. Its yet to fail..literally--I ALWAYS get asked for the recipe.

This is the centerpiece of my collection:

Bird's Quiche (Linda George)

1 deep dish pastry shell (purchased, or use your favorite pastry recipe)
10 oz frozen spinach, cooked
1 c shredded Swiss cheese
1 - 7 oz can (or bigger; doesn't matter) Hormel canned chicken
1/4 c chopped onion
2 eggs slightly beaten
3/4 cup Best Foods (Hellman's) Mayonnaise
3/4 c milk
1 tsp basil
1/4 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 375*. Pierce pastry shell well with a fork. Bake 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350*. Prepare filling:

Put the spinach in a large strainer and, using the back of a soup spoon, press out as much of the cooking liquid as you can; the dryer the better. Place in a medium sized mixing bowl along with the chicken and onion and chop together well with a fork, taking care not to break down the chicken pieces too much.

In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, mayonnaise, milk, basil and pepper (no salt). Fold into the spinach mixture until evenly incorporated. Poor in cooled crust. Bake 45 - 50 minutes. Top will be browned. Allow to stand 30 minutes before cutting.

This is good hot or at room temperature. Muffins and fruit go well.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Whenever I have a pot roast to make, this is a tried 'n' true at my house:

NEW ENGLAND POT ROAST

4 lb. beef roast
1 c. water
1 t. salt
8 small potatoes, peeled, halved
½ t. pepper
4 carrots, cut into fourths
1 jar (5 oz.) horseradish sauce
1 onion, chopped
Vegetable oil cooking spray

Spray pot amply with cooking spray; heat pot, then add beef. Cook over medium heat until all sides of beef are brown; reduce heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread horseradish sauce over beef; add the water. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2 ½ hours. Add vegetables; cover and cook until beef and vegetables are tender, about 1 hour longer.
Makes 8 servings.

Lisa can i ask you what kind of beef roast you usually buy ?

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 06:04 PM
This takes some time but it is well worth it.

Acini De Pepe Salad

I cup of sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
1-3/4 cup pineapple juice
2 beaten eggs
1-1/2 cup acini (tiny macaroni)
1 can crushed pineapple
1 can chunk pineapple
2 cans mandarin oranges
1 large container of coolwhip (24ozs).
1/2 package mini marshmallows

Combine the sugar, flour and salt with 1-3/4 cup of pineapple juice and the 2 beaten eggs. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thick. Let cool. Boil 1-1/2 cups acini in salted water for 10 minutes or until done. Add to sauce. Let stand overnight. Add drained pineapple, mandarin oranges, coolwhip and marshmallows.
Mix well. Let stand for an hour or so. Great salad. You won't realize it has macaroni in it!

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 07:20 PM
This is a tasty salad that everyone always enjoys...hope you will too! :D

Moriarty's Christmas Salad

2 envelopes unflavored knox gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
20 oz can crushed pineapple
1 cup sugar
8 oz cream cheese
2 - 1/2 pint cartons of whipping cream (whip individually for better fluff)

Dissolve 2 envelopes of knox gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water. In saucepan bring crushed pineapple and sugar to a boil. Add that to the gelatin and then add cream cheese and mix until totally dissolved. Put in the refrigerator until it starts to set. Then beat the whipped cream and add to pineapple mixture. Put in final mold until set.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 08:09 PM
This recipe is from my mother in law, so we call it granny's goolash
Brown a pound or so of hamburger meat with some onion and bellpepper,do all this to taste I like alot of both. Drain and add 1 12 - 16 oz can of the following things. Ranch style beans, whole kernal corn, spaghetti O's then add 2 cans of tomato sauce the small ones then a couple of tblsps of chili powder. salt and pepper to taste. serve with cornbread. the more you warm it up the better it tastes

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Bassintj

5lbs red potatoes
2lbs oscar mayer bacon sliced
1 jar hellmans mayonaise
1 green pepper chopped
1 onion chopped
4 stalks of celery chopped
14 hard boiled eggs sliced

boil potatoes let cool and remove skins. slice thin in a big bowl. fry bacon until crisp set aside. combine potatoes, whole jar of mayo, green pepper, onion and celery. Salt and pepper to taste add chopped eggs and mix again. use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon from pan add to the potatoes mix again, for more taste you can add a spoon or two of bacon grease. refrigerate over night and enjoy!

Miranda Wake
April 5th, 2005, 10:27 PM
SESAME NOODLES WITH THAI PEANUT SAUCE

Easy recipe............mostly done in the blender!!!.........ENJOY!!! :wink:

1 lb Thin Spaghetti
3 Tbsp Dark Sesame Oil
3 cloves Garlic
4 Green Onions, cut in 1/2" pieces
1" pc. Ginger Root. pared an quartered
1/3 Cup Peanut Butter (plain or chunky)
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Chicken Broth
1 Tbsp Rice or Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
2 Tbsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper

Cook spaghetti as directed; drain and rinse with cold water. Toss with 2 tablespoons of sesame oil (this dish can be served warm or cold). If you want to serve as a hot dish, do not rinse with cold water; just drain.

In food processor, finely chop garlic, green onions, and ginger. Add remaining sesame oil and rest of the ingredients. Process until thoroughly mixed.

Mix sauce in with noodles and stir well.

Decorate with thin slices of Red, Yellow, Orange, or Green Pepper........
For Color!
You can use any colorful veggie you like...........Carrots go well also.......thinly sliced!

Explore!!! :)

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Can't Miss Sweet and Sour Meatballs

These are sooo simple, and always a hit at parties and get-togethers!

1 package of frozen, precooked, homestyle meatballs
1 large can jellied cranberry sauce
1 small can tomato sauce
1 medium onion, diced

Place frozen meatball on a baking sheet, and bake according to package directions.
Meanwhile, place onions in the bottom of a slow-cooker on high, and cook until transparent.
Add cranberry and tomato sauces to cooker, and heat and stir until cranberry sauce is melted.
Stir in meatballs, simmer on low heat.

These are better the longer you can let them simmer, but can be done on the stovetop and served immediately! Easy, and sooo tasty! :D

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 10:50 PM

I am wondering the same thing---someone HELP!!!!!

Steve757
April 5th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Salsa de Tomatillos

The fresh sharp-tasting flavor of the tomatillos are delightfully reminiscent of the tartness of green plums and will enhance any savory dish.

Optional Jalapenos transforms this simple cooked salsa recipe to an exceptional hot sauce recipe you will treasure.

This mild salsa recipe is especially good with tortilla chips, but try it with mild cheese sticks for an extraordinary taste treat.

Salsa de Tomatillo will go with most any seafood, grilled chicken, and eggs but let´s not forget the traditional tacos, enchiladas and burritos for an authentic Mexican food taste delight.

Ingredients:

1 lb tomatillo (about 12-15), husk removed, wash and cut in half

2-3 Jalapeños, stems removed

½ cup fresh Cilantro leaves

½ cup white onion, finely chopped

½ - 1 tsp salt (optional, to taste)

2 cloves garlic, peeled and slightly mashed

½ lime juice from half a lime

Directions: In a 2 quart sauce pan combine tomatillo, Jalapeños and garlic with just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to medium and cook uncovered until the tomatillos are soft, approximately 6 to 10 minutes depending on their size.

Remove from the heat drain, reserving ½ cup of the cooking liquid for later use.

Allow the tomatillo, peppers and garlic to cool and remove the stem from the chiles if you have not already done so. Note: If you want a milder tasting salsa go ahead and remove the veins and seeds from the Jalapenos as well.

Combine the tomatillos, jalapeños, garlic, cilantro, lime juice and salt in a blender or food processor. Process to form a smooth textured puree adding the reserve cooking liquid as necessary for the desired consistency.

Transfer to a molcajete or serving bowl. Stir in the chopped onion and let the salsa ripen for about 1 hour to allow the flavors to fully develop and serve.

The Salsa de Tomatillos can be kept for 1 week in the refrigerator in a tightly covered jar or dish.

Makes about 2 cups.

Hope everyone enjoys this as much as I do.

Anonymous
April 5th, 2005, 11:38 PM
[quote=nannieconnie]:?: The recipe for Easiest Chicken sounds really good, but one question...do you dip the chicken in the bread crumbs before you bake it? No mention of when to use the bread crumbs that are listed in the ingredients. Thanks.

Did you ever get a response to this? I was wondering the same thing.[
/quote]

No I never did get a response, but I hope I do soon.

Anonymous
April 6th, 2005, 02:34 AM
KEBABS ON PITA

1 lb ground lamb or beef

Ingredients
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsps coriander powder (available at all Indian groceries )
1 tsp of all mix ground Indian spice called `garam masala' (Indian store)
1 tsp of chilli powder or more (more depending on how hot you like it)
4 lines of fresh cilantro finely chopped
1 small size onion chopped finely
1 inch of giner with its juice very finrly chopped

Pita bread (buy this in groceries

Dressing: Yogurt, sour cream or blue cheese dressing

Procedure
1.take your ground meat and put all dry ingredients in one at a time
2. with your hands mix into the meat well and see that every inch is covered
3. next add the onions in the same way
4. the ginger and then the juice
mix all very well

Method
with your hands, divide this mixture into 12 pieces and form each on into kebab rolls.
after all have been formed, take a non stick pan and put in a tablespoon of oil rollling this around on meedium heat, then lowering it to minimum heat on your range (electric or gas)
put 2 kakab rolls in, browning then equally on each side side (4 sides) just as you would cook a burger.
For outdoor cooking a barbecued kebab tastes even better(the same as hamburgers on grill. ( 3 or 4 kebabs can b done at the same time.

As soon as they are done take them out and serve on lightly warmed pita bread.Put with green salad , kebab and top with any of the above dressing.
Extra Option:For more zest, slice 2 onions and 2 raw green chillies and salt to taste. rinse after 15 minutes in cold water. Put lime and serve.

A cold smoothie or yogurt drink (the same way a smoothie is made only here sugar is added) or any drink goes well with this dish!
Try it and see for yourself!
For more on Indian snacks and meal recipes, pls email me at mega2000@pworld.net.ph . I have CATERING ONLINE via email and give out a full dinner recipe for a very minimum cost. Please let me know the number of guests. Mutton, lamb and chicken cerries made plain or with yougurt . Indian Vegetarian dishes at your finger tips!

Thanks,
rani

Anonymous
April 6th, 2005, 01:25 PM
This always gets rave reviews when I make it for any occasion

Baptist Pound Cake

2 sticks butter
1/2 cup crisco oil
3 cups sugar

cream above til very light and fluffy

add 6 eggs one at a time beating well after each addition

3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp each almond, lemon, orang flavorings

sift flour and baking powder together and add alternatley with milk beginning and ending with flour.

Beat well, scraping sides and bottom of bowl well.

I sometimes will use all almond flavoring or all orange or lemon depending on the taste I want.

Pour into a well greased and floured 10 cup tube pan and place in cold oven.

Turn oven to 350 degrees and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Do not open oven.

Hope you all enjoy

Anonymous
April 6th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Eggplant chips
cut em in rounds
spray em with PAM SPRAY
season them with "pizza seasoning"
broil(until brown) or bake at 350 for 45 min

enjoy with salt....chipsss!!!

Anonymous
April 6th, 2005, 06:43 PM
This is something I'm sure everyone already knows how to make but, if not I hope you enjoy this.
MEXICAN CHICKEN
Ingredients:

Boneless skinless chicken breasts(however many you want to make)
Shredded cheddar cheese
salsa
rotissare chicken seasoning(I get it at wal-mart)

Steps:

Preheat oven to a/b 400 degrees. Wash chicken and place in a baking dish. Season both sides with the seasoning. Place in oven for a/b 30 minutes. Flip halfway through. Then take Chicken out and add a/b a half of a handfull of cheese on top off the chicken and a couple of teaspoons of salsa on top of the cheese. Put oven on broil now. Place chicken back in oven until the cheese melts.

I love this recipe b/c I'm obsessed with cheese and it's a very cheesy, yummy meal. I hope you all like this.[/b]

Anonymous
April 6th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Ok, now I don't know how "homemade" this is, but it works and it tastes good.
Au gratin Potatoes

Ingredients:

One box of the cheesy (au gratin or scalloped , which ever one is the cheesy kind)( I like the Betty crocker precooked potatoes)
1/2 can of spam

Steps:

Preheat oven according to the back of the box. Just prepare as the directions on the back of the box say, and add in the sapm. Cook accordingly. I hope you all like this recipe. I kind-of cheat, I know. But, I do have about 3 more recipes I made up for Au gratin potatoes.

Anonymous
April 6th, 2005, 11:36 PM
I just had to include this recipe!! I made this today and was once again reminded how delicious it is, and how much my family loves this cake. Easy to make, but easier to eat!! :lol:

Banana Snack Cake

1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup mashed bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup flaked coconut
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease
and flour a 9x13 inch pan. In a medium bowl, mix flour,
oats, baking soda and salt together and set aside.
2 In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and
fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well with each
addition. Mix in buttermilk, bananas and vanilla. Add flour
mixture and mix well. Finally, fold in the nuts, coconut and 1
cup of the chocolate chips.
3 Pour batter into a 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle top with
remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees F (175
degrees C) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted
into the cake comes out clean.

Anonymous
April 7th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Broccoli Casserole

This recipe is from Minnie Grant of Hiddenite,NC. This is the best broccoli casserole I have ever tasted. I fix for family and friends and believe me they will be wanting more. The recipe is as follows;

4pkgs. frozen chopped broccoli, cooked barely done
1 can cream of celery soup
1 stick margarine
1(8oz.) pkg. cream cheese
shredded cheddar cheese

Place cooked broccoli in a greased casserole dish. Mix and heat the remainder of ingredients and pour over broccoli. Heat at 325 degrees
until bubbly.
Enjoy!

Anonymous
April 7th, 2005, 02:29 PM
CHICKEN-n-DUMPLINGS

2 Chicken Boulon Cubes

Salt and Peper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Cook chicken for 30-40min. over medium heat and then remove chicken from water and debone
(DO NOT DRAIN WATER)

Anonymous
April 7th, 2005, 06:57 PM
This is one that everyone loves (that is if they like seafood). Serve it with lots of crusty bread to sop up the flavorful sauce and a green salad.

CIOPINNO ***** Serves 6
Sauce:
4 T Olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
l can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
1 green pepper, chopped
1 cup tomato puree
1 cup dry red wine
1 T basil
1 t. oregano
salt and pepper
Seafood:
1 doz. Clams
½ lb. Shrimp
1 crab
1 ½ lbs. White fish, cut 1" cubes
½ lb scallops

Saute onion, garlic and celery. Add remaining ingredients (except seafood) and simmer 1 hour. Add seafood and cook till seafood is done.

Anonymous
April 7th, 2005, 08:13 PM
A friend passed on this recipe. It is very simple to bake, and it tastes similar to a quiche!

5 eggs
375g zucchini
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup olive oil
3 rashers of bacon, or approx 80g ham
1 cup grated tasty cheese

1. Grate zucchini, chop ham or bacon finely.
2. Combine all ingredients.
3. Place the combined ingredients in a 20cm (8 inch) dish and bake in a moderate oven until golden (approx 35 mins).

ENJOY! IT'S REALLY YUMMY!!!!!!! :wink:

Anonymous
April 8th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Wimpy Burgers

So I went home on Wednesday night and decided to try the Wimpy Burgers, since I already had all of the ingredients. They were sooo good! They were even better the next night! I froze the remaining portion in several smaller freezer containers, (since it is just me and my son) for later quick dinners. Thank you for this new, simple, and fantastic new idea for sloppy joes! A+++

Anonymous
April 8th, 2005, 05:29 PM

I was wondering the same thing.

Anonymous
April 10th, 2005, 12:54 AM
CHICKEN CHILI
YOU NEED
3/ CUPS OF MINUTE RICE
1 CAN OF CHICKEN BROTH
1 CAN OF KIDNEY BEANS
1 CAN OF TOMATOES & GREEN CHILIES
AND 1 LB OF BONELESS CHICKEN BREAST CUT UP IN SMALL BITE SIZE PIECES
FIRST YOU BROWN THE CHICKEN THEN YOU ADD ALL THE REST TOGETHER. COOK ON LOW HEAT UNTIL DONE.
COVER AND COOK UNTIL YOU HAVE LITTLE JUCE
AND ENJOY IT'S GOOD,..

Anonymous
April 10th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Easy Prime Rib

oven: 325

Rib Roast (anysize)
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 stalk of celery
1/2 t rosemary or tyme
1 tsp pepper
Throw into a chopper together and chop until fine.
Now to get your aggression out take a knife and put holes in the meat and through the fat also. Take mixture and put in the holes. If you want to have fun
I use the leafy sprigs from celery and put stalk part in the fat hole leaving leaves out. I like to mix alot of the mixture and slather it all over the outside.
Stick a digital thermometer in the center, use its cooking temperature guide for doneness. You should take it out of the oven about 8 degrees, before desired temperature because it continues to cook while resting.
for a medium doness I cook for about 23 mins a pound.
This sounds like a little work but I assure you its simple and it can be fun.

Try it you may like it. Enjoy !!

I wait until standing rib roasts are on sale and buy any size.
The first rib roast was tuff enough to fill pot hole. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous
April 12th, 2005, 04:37 PM
This is a very simple recipe........ The whole family seems to enjoy!

fruit salad
1 package (your favorite) any flavor dry jello mix
1 16 oz. or larger cottage cheese
1 can mixed fruit "mostly drained"
1 package large whipped topping (reg. flavor)

Whip all together in large bowl until blended.Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving to let it reform itself.simple and the little kids love the multiple colors it comes in. great for any summer activity

Anonymous
April 13th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Ok I got a good one

how often do u have left over vegies from a roast dinner? or a normal diiner?

why not make it into a great lunch!

Take your flour and water and pinch of salt and and egg...make a basick pancakcake mixture
then add in the corn kernels and peas and a bit of bacon
and any left overs you have
mix it all up and make big frittas! Cook it like u would cook a big pancake.

They taste great! kids love them and they save money! as u are using leftovers!!

motherbear2728
April 13th, 2005, 11:05 AM
What is caster sugar and where do you find it :oops:

="paulapie"]Chicken Satay Recipe picked up from Chef in Kuala Lumpar in Malaysia...Perfect for the coming Summer Bar B Que evenings....and all my friends beg me to make this every time....

Ingredients

Marinade:
4 tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp fresh coriander
1 tbsp caster sugar
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp soy sauce
Salt & Pepper

Sauce:
2 tbsp oil
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
8 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp block coconut

Instructions:

1) Soak 8 wooden skewers in a large shallow dish of cold water for at least 30 minutes. This will prevent the skewers from burning on the hot grill.

2) Cut the chicken lengthwise into 8 long strips. Thread the strips of chicken, concertina style, onto skewers and set them aside while you make marinade.

5) To make sauce, heat oil in a small pan and fry onion and chilli until they are softened but not browned. Stir in the spices and cook for one minute. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and cook mixture gently for 5 minutes. Keep warm.

6) Barbecue(Grill) chicken skewers for about 10 minutes, basting with any remaining marinade.

Serve with sauce immediately.[/quote]

Anonymous
April 15th, 2005, 11:12 PM
The pie sounds delicious, and i'm hanging to try it....but, what is frozen whipped topping....Im in Australia, and can't find anything that seems similar. :cry: Thanks

This recipe was in the paper a couple of years ago. Takes along time to make, but it is excellent. I have been offered $30.00 for this pie, but prefer the smile it puts on my family's face! :mrgreen:

White chocolate strawberry shortcake pie

For white-chocolate glaze:

1/3 cup heavy cream

4 ounces white chocolate, chopped

For cream-cheese filling:

8 ounces cream cheese, softened

1 cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

To assemble pie:

1 (9-inch) layer butter-recipe yellow cake, cooled (use a mix or your favorite scratch recipe)

1 (10-inch) deep-dish pie crust, baked and cooled

4 cups fresh strawberries

1 (13.5-ounce container) strawberry glaze (see note)

2 ounces white chocolate, chopped

2 teaspoons shortening

To prepare white-chocolate glaze: Heat cream in a small saucepan until steaming; add white chocolate. Remove from heat and stir until chocolate is melted. Set aside.

To prepare cream-cheese filling: Beat cream cheese until fluffy; gradually beat in powdered sugar, then vanilla. Fold in whipped topping. Set aside.

To assemble pie: Trim outside edge of cake layer so that cake will fit into the bottom of the pie crust; set cake trimmings aside for garnish. Split cake layer horizontally.

Spread 1/3 of cream-cheese filling in the pie crust. Invert the top half of the cake layer, cut side up, into the filled crust. Spread with 1/2 of the white-chocolate glaze. Spread remaining white-chocolate glaze onto the cut surface of remaining cake half.

Rinse and dry berries. Select a few of the prettiest berries; set aside for garnish. Stem and slice remaining berries. Combine sliced berries with strawberry glaze; stir carefully to coat. Spread about half the glazed berry slices over the cake in the pie crust. Invert bottom half of cake layer (glazed side down) over berries.

Frost sides and top of cake with remaining cream-cheese filling, smoothing the surface. (It should look like a frosted cake sitting in a pie shell.) Grind the reserved cake trimmings into crumbs; press into sides of cake. Arrange remaining glazed berries on top. Spoon whipped topping into a pastry bag; pipe on decorative rosettes.

Melt white chocolate with shortening; drizzle over top and sides. Garnish with reserved whole berries.[/quote]

Anonymous
April 18th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Mum's Apricot Cheesecake Recipe

Base

75g butter

Refrigerate for 1 hour

Filling

1 tablespoon gelatin
¼ cup caster sugar

Topping

1 tble spoon sugar

Enjoy! :lol:

Anonymous
April 19th, 2005, 12:11 PM
After you dip the chicken in the dressing, you dip it in the bread crumbs to coat the chicken. :D

Hope that helpes everyone.

[quote=nannieconnie]:?: The recipe for Easiest Chicken sounds really good, but one question...do you dip the chicken in the bread crumbs before you bake it? No mention of when to use the bread crumbs that are listed in the ingredients. Thanks.

Did you ever get a response to this? I was wondering the same thing.[
/quote]

No I never did get a response, but I hope I do soon.

Anonymous
April 19th, 2005, 12:32 PM
No wonder your hubby will do anything for this!!! This is really great! Thanks :D

Easiest Chicken

Italian dressing
Provalone cheese sliced
Italian bread crumbs
toothpicks

This is fast easy and great. I can get hubby to do anything if I make this for him! :wink: :arrow:

Anonymous
April 20th, 2005, 01:24 PM
what is it :?:

Hello Becky; I too have that wonderful chicken recipe and it is great!! I make it quite often when I need something quick and good!! Folks you have to try it, you will love it... :lol:

Anonymous
April 20th, 2005, 04:29 PM
My mom made this off the back of a soup can when I was a kid (30+ years ago). It has been a favorite of our family and passed down ever since. It is one of the first things our children learned to cook. You can make it to taste with different variations.

Quick & Easy Cassarole

1 to 2 pounds ground beef
desired amount of chopped onion (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
2 cans green beans (may use frozen, thawed)
Family size can tomato soup
enough mashed potatoes to cover top of pan
grated cheddar cheese (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a dutch oven or large pan, brown meat and onion, drain. Add the salt and papper, green beans, and tomato soup. Mix thoroughly. Leave on pan or pour into cassarole dish and "forst" the top with the mashed potatoes, Sprinkle the potatoes with the cheese. Place in oven until heated thru, about 1/2 hour or so.

Serve with salad or cottage cheese and fruit and hot biscuits.

Variations:

may use any vegetable you prefer like, corn, mixed, peas, etc. My family prefers the taste and texture of frozen vegetable, so I thaw them and use instead of canned.

may use intant mashed potatoes or homemade

can add garlic

can leave out the cheese

Anonymous
April 23rd, 2005, 10:09 AM
I love sorel sip alot. Apart from the fact that it refreshes, it's also medicinal (i.e reduces blood sugar level, equally good for those who are hypertensive)

Ingredient:

200gm of sorel leaves
1/2 ltr of water (or more (depending on how thick u want it))
1 tsp ground ginger
sugar to taste
choice flavoring(s)
ground cloves (optional)
pineapple or any freshly made juice (optional and as much as u like)

preparation

boil all other ingredients except sugar and flavouring, let cool and strain, then add sugar, flavoring and juice. This can be chilled before drinking or drunk immediately by pouring on ice cubes. Wow :) i'll take many cups of this anytime

Try it out and see for yourself

Emily Ajakaiye

Anonymous
April 25th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Buko Pandan Dessert

2 cups young coconut meat shavings
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup pandan flavored gelatin
1 cup pandan flavored sago
1/2 cup green nata de coco
1/2 cup white nata de coco
+/- white sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup all purpose cream

Mix all ingredients. Add sugar to taste. VOILA! chill before serving :D

This recipe could bring a tropical touch to any occasion! its very simple but i am not sure if the ingredients are readily available in your place. Anyway, try in any Filipino store in case its not available in your groceries.
Hope you like it.

Anonymous
April 25th, 2005, 11:35 PM
okay this is my late grandmothers famous recipe: I'll only share it with you because I don't know you!!!!
1 lb hamburger
7 slices bacon
1 small sliced onion
1 can pork and beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can butter beans ( usually replace these with a can of navy beans)

Fry bacon until crisp
Fry hamburger
place into a 9x13 pan
Dump all 3 cans of beans on top and lightly mix

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tbl mustard
1 tbl white vinegar
1 tea worstschire sauce

combine these to make a sauce and mix with meat and beans
crumble bacon and sprinkle on top and place onion slices on top
Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes
A real pleaser!!

Kookiefool
April 27th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Here's one of my all-time favorites...

* Exported from MasterCook II *

CIDER STEW

Recipe By : Great Recipes from the New York Times Cookbook
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Stews

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 tablespoons fat (I use mixture of veg oil & butter)
3 large onions -- sliced
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp thyme
2 pounds stew beef
pepper to taste
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 cups apple cider -- (good quality)
3 large (or 4 small) potatoes -- chunks
3 large (or 4 small) carrots -- sliced thick

Brown onions in fat in large skillet with cover or dutch oven. Mix flour with salt, pepper and thyme. When onions are brown remove from pan, and add beef. Brown. Replace onions, and add flour mixture to coat all. Add cider and ketchup and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally and skimming top if needed. Add veggies and cook about 1/2 to 3/4 hours longer until tender.

NOTES: I up the amount of cider, ketchup and seasonings in relative amounts to make extra sauce because it's so good. Entire recipe can be doubled easily.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

c0meplay
April 27th, 2005, 10:43 PM
No Knead Bread Recipe

This is an old family recipe that is truly excellent and easy. I make it at work on my breaks. I throw the ingredients together when I first come in at 8 (takes 15 minutes). Let it rise until my 10:00 break where I dump the dough onto a floured wax sheet and pull off sections, roll them into balls and put them on ungreased baking sheet (takes about 15 minutes). Let rise until about 20 minutes before lunch. I put it in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes and have a great side for lunch that my coworkers love. Here's the bread recipe:

Ingredients:
1/4 cup water
1 package fast rising yeast
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 well beaten eggs
3 1/2 cups flour
1 towel large enough to cover the large plastic bowl you'll be using

Take the water and warm it in the microwave. You want it body temperature warm. You can also take warm water from the tap if your tap water tastes ok. Place water in small bowl and add yeast. Stir yeast a little and let sit to dissolve. Warm milk in microwave until it is body temperature warm (you don't want hot or cold milk because it will shock the yeast and your dough won't rise). Melt butter. Combine milk, butter, sugar and salt in a large plastic mixing bowl (you want your dough to be able to rise to twice it's size without overflowing the bowl, you want a plastic bowl because metal tends to attract cold which will make the dough less likely to rise). Take your yeast mixture and stir it to make sure all the yeast is dissolved. Add it to the plastic bowl and stir into milk mixture. Stir in eggs. Stir in flour until you have a ooey gooey ball of dough with no dry flour showing. Take the towel and soak it under the hot water tap. Squeeze the towel out thoroughly and drape over the bowel. Leave bowl in a warm place until dough doubles in size (takes 1 to 2 hours, I usually preheat the oven to 100 degrees while I am mixing the ingredients. Then I turn the oven off and put the plastic bowl in the oven so the bread can rise in a warm place). Once dough is double in size, spread wax paper on a flat surface (usually takes two sheets taped together and the four corners taped to flat surface). Sprinkle with flour. Remove towel from bowl and sprinkle flour over top of dough. Pour dough onto wax paper (dough is very sticky). Once dough is on wax paper, sprinkle the top with flour so it doesn't stick to your hands. Pat entire surface of dough with flour until there are no sticky places showing. Pull off palm size pieces and roll into balls using flour when necessary to prevent stickiness. Place on ungreased baking sheet about an inch apart. Let rise for at least 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and serve warm.

Anonymous
May 9th, 2005, 11:32 PM
this is a great cake that was passed down through 3 genirations.1-box of cholacate cake mix. 1-can of eagle brand condenced milk it is real thick. 1-container of whipping cream 4- score candy bars. place candy bars int freezer or fridge this helps them break easer. mix and bake cake to directions. while cake is cooking prepare the whipping cream and put in fridge. break candy with a hammer or rolling pin. while cake is still hot poke as many holes into it that you can and pour condenced milk all over cake let cool add whipping cream and top with broken candy pieces."try adding choclate chips for a little more sweetness if your tooth needs more sweet.[/list][/code]

Anonymous
May 10th, 2005, 01:19 AM
:D No Bake Cheesecake
8oz. cream cheese(room temperture)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 small (4 serving size)box of instant vinilla pudding(or whatever flavor
you like)
1 graham cracker crust

Mix first 3 ingredents together well, till smooth with mixer. Add pudding to
mixture and beat till smooth, pour into graham cracker crust. Chill for an hour. To dress it up you can use strawberry glase and fresh strawberrys or blueberry pie filling on top.Enjoy!

Anonymous
May 10th, 2005, 02:51 AM
i printed so many of the members recipes i feel i owe the pot. heres a quick breakfast for when you have special company and want to impress them with your style.
boil 2 eggs for each person, you can boil them and peel them, even the night before.
in a sauce pan start to make 2 cups of the cream sauce, this will feed 4 people maybe 6.
melt a half stick of butter(bacon grease if your bold) in the sauce pan, on med heat, stir in 4 tbs of flour (2tbs/ 1 cup milk) stir until it balls up, then add 2 cups milk and use a wisk to make the sauce smooth. add a pinch of red pepper and a teaspoon of curry powder, salt and pepper. taste and adjust, we use almost a tbs of curry powder for ours.
make toast, butter and cut into points, croutons, or not at all. place one or 2 eggs on top the toast, use an egg slicer or cut eggs into circles or wedges. place a nice ladel full of warm sauce over the eggs.
serve this dish with some fresh fruit or juice, coffee and mabe a breakfast pastry, its very impressive and good!! your guests will never remember the name of the dish but will always ask for it.

mizkitty37
May 10th, 2005, 05:52 AM
SHRIMP-CRABMEAT CASSEROLE--easy and good! Here's my recipe to share. Have had for dinner parties for years. Make as much or as little as you like. OKAY--Here we go! 1. Line bottom of buttered or sprayed casserole with chopped onion, chopped green pepper and a bit of finely chopped celery, if you like......2. Cover with boiled and peeled shrimp and one or two cans of crabmeat....3. Make a white sauce, medium thick, and put a splash of garlic in it and melt cheese in it, Velveeta or the shredded cheese of your choice. 4. Put some paprika and buttered breadcrumbs on top. 5. Make at 350 or so until bubbly. I serve this over rice and it is very good. You can add anything you like to the cream sauce. ....If you've cooked for awhile you'll know exactly how to put this together.I have fixed this for years and it always is a hit! Don't make your cream sauce too runny.=====Kay White Miles, Clinton, Missouri

Anonymous
May 10th, 2005, 07:02 AM
I would like to know how to go about posting a recipe. Thanks. Joyln

Anonymous
May 10th, 2005, 08:27 AM
THIS GOES TO ALL OF THE PEPOPLE WHO ENJOY AFRICAN DISHES THIS IS A GREAT RECIPE AND I DO HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY :D

WEST AFRICAN CHICKEN
SERVES 4

3 1/2 pounds chicken legs and thighs
3 or 4 sprigs oregano or marjoram, or 1\2 teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
1 teaspoon salt
3\4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 to 5 tablespoons corn or peanut oil
1\4 cup of lemon juice
1 cup fresh sheredded coconut
2 large onions
2 cloves of garlic
2 hot chili peppers
2 cup coarsely chopped plum tomatoes
1 bay leaf

Directions:

1. Preheat the broiler
trim away any visible fat from the chicken and discard. Wash the chicken under old water and dry with paper towels. Chop the fresh oregano or marjorma or chush the dried herb. Rub the herb all over the chicken and then sprinkle the chicken with the salt and black pepper.

2. Generousl oil a shallow boiler pan. Place the chicken in the pan in a single layer. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the oil over the chicken.

3. Set the pan under the the broiler, 6 inches from the heat. Broil the chicken for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Turn and brown 5 minutes longer on the other side. Remove the pan from the oven. Pour the lemon juice over the chicken. sprinkle the coconut over the chickekn and set aside.

4. Reset the oven and preheat to 400 derees.

5. Slice the onions minnce the garlic and finely dice the chilies. Heat the remaining oil in a medium skillet. Add the onions, garlic and chilies and saute' over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent.

6. Stir in the tomatoes and bay leaf and cook over low heat, stirring, for 15 minutes longer.

7. Return the chicken to the overn and bake for 15 minutes. Turn te chicken, pour the tomato sauce on top, and bake until the chickn is tender and brown, about 15 minutes.

8. Remove the bay leave before serving. Serve over rice or couscous.

Once again I hope you all enjoy this recipe! This one particular recipe has been in my family for many years....enjoy.

Anonymous
May 10th, 2005, 09:04 AM
This is my all time TNT "go-to" recipe when I need something whipped up or unexpected company drops in and will be here for dinner. Add some green beans or asparagus and crusty bread or rolls (soups make a gravy that is awesome) and dinner is served!

Viola'! MIMI in Alabama

4-6 chicken breasts-bonless & skinless (or use tenderloins about 12)
2 cups raw rice
1 medium bell pepper chopped
1 medium onion-chopped
1 small jar diced pimentos-drained
4 oz can mushrooms-drained
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 14 oz. can of chicken broth
Salt & pepper to taste (soup has salt also)

Spray 13x9 pyres dish with Pam. Wash chicken and cut in half. Season with salt & pepper. Put chicken in pyrex. Sprinkle rice directly on chicken. Add peppers, onions, mushrooms, and pimentos. Mix soups and chicken broth together in a bowl. Pour soup mix over everything covering rice well. Cover tightly with foil and bake 325 degrees for 1 hour. This is a life saver for coming home late from work. You can change the veggie ingredients adding or omiting to your taste.

Anonymous
May 10th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Here is one of my favorite desserts that has been in my family for years. Thanks for your great recipie. I love peach cobbler and I am looking forward to making it. :P

Oatmeal Cake
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

1 ½ cups boiling water
1 cup quick oats
1 stick of butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 white sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
½ tsp nutmeg

Mix in a bowl boiling water, quick oats, butter and let sit for 20 minutes. After it has sat for 20 minutes, add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour mixture into a large flat pan and bake for 35 minutes or until done at 350 degrees. Allow cake to cool before icing.

Icing

6 tbsp softened oleo
1 cup chopped pecans
½ tsp vanilla
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup pet cream or milk
1 cup toasted coconut

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and spread on cooled cake.

Anonymous
May 11th, 2005, 11:22 PM
[quote="Merg"]I'm asked to bring this to all the partys.

Macoroni and cheese

1 can of tomato soup
1 box of ziti
bread crumbs

Cook the ziti and then add the soup and cheese in a cassorole dish. top with bread crumbs and dot with margarine or butter. Bake for about half hour at 350.

What is "ziti"?

bluejeanz
May 12th, 2005, 07:38 AM
I'm asked to bring this to all the partys.

Macoroni and cheese

1 can of tomato soup
1 box of ziti
bread crumbs

What is "ziti"?

Ziti is a long, thin, smooth tube-shaped macaroni.

jaynalocke
May 12th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Lemon Chicken Scaloppine with Artichoke Hearts

This is one of my favorite recipes because it is easy, fairly foolproof, and it pleases everyone, even the kids.

Combine in a shallow dish:
1/4 cup flour
Spices to taste:
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Thyme
Salt and pepper

Dredge in the flour mix:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, pounded thin.

In large skillet, heat:
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
Add 2 or 3 minced garlice cloves and cook one minute.
Add flour-coated chicken breasts and brown 4 minutes per side.
Remove the chicken from the pan and keep it warm.

To the skillet, add:
1 cup chicken broth, 1/4 cup Marsala wine (or vermouth or any dry white wine), 1/4 tsp dried marjoram, and 1 bay leaf.
Bring to a boil, while stirring.
Add the chicken back to the pan.
Add one can drained, quartered artichoke hearts
Add 8 lemon slices and/or a few teaspoons of lemon juice.

Cover the pan and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Move chicken and artichokes to a platter, garnish with fresh lemon slices.
Serve with rice and the remaining pan sauce on the side.

Anonymous
May 14th, 2005, 09:45 PM
If this is what passes for "home made" these days, we need a new term for food actually prepared by the person who serves it. Surprised you bothered with fresh berries: you could have used frozen or even artificial berry flavoring without hurting the product much! :shock:

echarest
May 15th, 2005, 04:49 AM
White Bean, Fennel & Sausage Soup

This is a David Rosengarten recipe published in The Best of Food & Wine (1994).

Serves 8

2 tsp olive oil
1 lb. Italian sausage (recipe calls for sweet but I prefer hot)
2 medium fennel bulbs (~1 lb each), coarsely chopped
2 medium onions, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley or fresh basil, firmly packed
6 cups chicken stock or canned low sodium chicken broth
One 28-oz can peeled tomatoes and their juice
2 cups cooked white beans (cannellini or Great Northern) - rinsed if canned
1 cup cooked elbow macaroni
Salt & pepper to taste

1. Heat oil. Crumble sausage and cook until well browned, about 5 minutes. Drain fat. Lower heat to moderate and butt fennel, onion, garlic and parsley. Cook until vegetables are tender-crisp, 10-15 minutes.

2. Add chicken stock and tomatoes with their juice. Break up tomatoes with a spoon and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer until all vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.

Hope you enjoy!

Anonymous
June 11th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Crock Pot Pizza

1-1/2 pound lean ground beef, browned and drained
2 large bags Mozzarella cheese
1 onion, chopped
1 package pepperoni, sliced
2/3 box rigatoni noodles, cooked
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can mushrooms
2 cans pizza sauce

Alternate layers in crock pot as follows: hamburger, noodles, cheese, soup, mushrooms, onions, sauce and pepperoni. Heat 4 hours on low in crock pot.

HARRIS1023
July 18th, 2005, 02:52 PM
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME THE RECIPE FOR ROLO COOKIES.
ALSO HERES A FAVORITE AT MY HOUSE

HASHBROWN CASSEROLE
32OZ SHREDDED HASHBROWNS
2CANS CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
8OZ SOURCREAM
1/2 CUP SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE
1/2 CUP SHREDDED SWISS CHEESE
1/4 CUP SHREDDED PARMESAN CHEESE

MIX IN LARGE BOWL POUR IN CASSEROLE DISH PUT PARMESAN CHEESE ON TOP.
BAKE ON 350 FOR 30MIN OR UNTIL BROWN ON TOP

skyEyz_7
July 18th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Hi HARRIS1023 ,
Welcome here is the recipe you wanted it was posted by Aline. you can find it by hitting search and typing it in . Hope you love this site as much as we all do .This is next on my list to do as well :lol:

Rolo Cookies

1 c. butter, softened
1 c. white sugar
1 c. packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2-1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
¾ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 tbsp. white sugar
48 chocolate-covered caramel candies (Rolo)

Beat butter til creamy. Gradually add sugars, beat well. Add eggs and vanilla, beat well. Combine flour, baking soda and cocoa. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating well. Stir in ½ c. nuts (optional). Cover and chill at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Combine remaining ½ c. nuts with the 1 tbsp. sugar. Divide dough into 4 parts. Work with one part at a time leaving the rest in the fridge. Divide each part into 12 pieces. Quickly press each piece of dough around a chocolate-covered caramel. Roll into ball. Dip one side into sugar.

Place sugar-side up 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool one minute. Remove to wire rack and cool completely.

jannedwards
July 29th, 2005, 02:11 PM
german chocolate pie in meringue crust
(preparation time: 40 minutes, cook time: 1 hour)

Ingredients

For the Crust:
2 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

For the Filling:
4 oz pkg German's sweet chocolate
1/2 pint whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Dash of salt

Instructions

Separate eggs and let egg whites come to room temperature. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on med-low until frothy. Add cream of tartar. Increase mixer speed to med high - high and continue beating until until soft peaks form. Add sugar a little at a time. Add vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in pecans. Spread on the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-inch pie pan.

Bake for 1 hour at 300 degrees. (If browning too fast, turn down to 275 degrees). Remove from oven and set aside to cool.

Filling: Melt German's chocolate in 3 tablespoons of water on LOW heat. Set aside to cool. Whip cream, add sugar, salt and vanilla. Add melted chocolate last. Fold into cooled crust. Chill for a couple of hours before serving.

FRANCES.MADDOX@HCAHEALTHC
August 11th, 2005, 02:16 PM
:D MY FAVORITE TO MAKE IS DEVILED EGGS :D
BOILED EGGS
BACON..COOKED TO TASTE
MIRACLE WHIP
SALT/PEPPER TO TASTE
I MAKE THIS EVERY HOLIDAY..MY FAMILY STANDS AROUND WHILE I AM
MAKING THEM..EAT THEM AS THEY GET DONE..I USUALLY MAKE 60 TOTAL..THERE ARE NEVER ANY LEFT..

fredicus
August 19th, 2005, 11:44 AM
OK! I may be stereo-typing myself, but this is d*mned good eating :)

Steak and Kidney Pudding

Serves 4

For the suet crust pastry :

350g / 12oz self-raising flour
175g / 6oz shredded beef suet
salt and freshly milled black pepper
cold water to mix

For the filling:

560g / 11/4lb Trimmed stewing ( chuck ) steak
225g / 8oz ox kidney ( after trimming, so buy 335g / 12oz )
30g / 2 level tbs of well seasoned flour
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
cold water
15ml / 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
salt & freshly milled black pepper

A 1.5 liter / 2 1/2 pint capacity pudding basin & steamer are also required

To make the pastry first sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add some freshly milled black pepper, then add the suet and mix it into the flour using the blade of a knife.

When it is evenly blended, add a few drops of cold water and start to mix with the knife, using curving movements and turning the mixture around.
The aim is to bring it together as a dough, so keep adding drops of water until it begins to get really claggy and sticky.

Now abandon the knife, go in with your hands and bring it all together until you have a nice smooth elastic dough which leaves the bowl clean.
It`s worth noting that suet pastry always needs more water than other types, so if it is still a bit dry just go on adding a few drops at a time.

After that, take a quarter of the dough for the lid, then roll the rest out fairly thickly. What you need is a round approx. 32.5cm/13” in diameter. Now line the bowl with the pastry, pressing it well all around.

Next cut the steak into 21/2cm / 1" cubes; dice 30g / 2oz of the trimmed kidney finely, and the rest into 1-2cm / 1/2-3/4" pieces, toss the steak and the large kidney pieces in the seasoned flour, then add it all to the pastry lined basin, mixed with the sliced onion.

Add enough cold water to reach almost to the top of the meat and sprinkle in a few drops of Worcestershire sauce and another seasoning of salt & freshly milled black pepper.
Roll out the pastry lid, dampen it`s edges and put it in position on the pudding.
Seal well and cover with a double sheet of foil, pleated in the centre to allow room for expansion whilst cooking.
Now secure it with a string, making a little handle so that it can be lifted out of the hot steamer.
Place the pudding in a steamer over boiling water. Steam ( at a fast simmer ) for 5 hours, topping up the boiling water when necessary ( with boiling water ).
The pudding may either be served by spooning it straight from the basin, or sliding a palette knife around the edge and turning the pudding out onto a serving dish ( the more traditional method ).

:)

FRANCES.MADDOX@HCAHEALTHC
September 8th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I MAKE THESE EVERY HOLIDAY OR FAMILY GATHERING;

30 BOILED EGGS
3 LB. FRIED BACON
MIRACLE WHIP
SALT
PEPPER

SLICE THE EGGS..MIXED ALL OF THE INGREDIENTS AND THE STUFF
YOUR EGGS..MY KIDS WAIT AROUND THE TABLE WHILE I DO THIS..
THEY EAT THEM AS FAST AS I CAN STUFF THEM..THIS IS WHY I ALWAYS
MAKE SO MANY..I HAVE SOME FOR OUR MEAL..

swillshaz
September 14th, 2005, 11:54 PM
I find that if you add 1-2tbspn of kecap Manis (sweet sticky soy sauce from most Asian Delis) it adds a new level to the taste.

Chicken Satay Recipe picked up from Chef in Kuala Lumpar in Malaysia...Perfect for the coming Summer Bar B Que evenings....and all my friends beg me to make this every time....

Ingredients

Marinade:
4 tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp fresh coriander
1 tbsp caster sugar
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp soy sauce
Salt & Pepper

Sauce:
2 tbsp oil
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
8 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp block coconut

Instructions:

Serve with sauce immediately.

swillshaz
September 14th, 2005, 11:56 PM
I find that if you add 1-2tbspn of kecap Manis (sweet sticky soy sauce from most Asian Delis) it adds a different dimension to the sauce.

bard1415
October 3rd, 2005, 12:14 PM
Cream Puff Dessert

Pastry:
½ c. butter
1 c. boiling water
1 c. flour
3 eggs, added 1 at a time

Filling:
3 small boxes instant pudding
vanilla or chocolate
5 cups cold milk
1 – 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
(Cream Puff, cont.)
Directions: Melt butter in boiling water; stir in flour, then beat in eggs one at a time. Spread mixture in 9” x 13” glass pan. Bake @ 350º for 35 minutes.

Meanwhile combine with cream cheese enough of the milk to blend cream cheese smoothly. Add rest of milk & 3 boxes of instant pudding. After pastry is cooled, spread pudding onto pastry. Top with Cool Whip and drizzle chocolate syrup on top. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.

michellebryan2
October 30th, 2005, 03:12 AM
HERE IS MY VERSION OF CHICKEN CASSEROLE
WE ALSO ENJOY THIS VERY MUCH!
BAG OF CHOPPED BROCCOLI,
1 CAN OF CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
1 CAN OF CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
CHICKEN BREAST,CUT UP IN SMALL PIECES ,2 OR 3??
HALF CONTAINER OF SOUR CREAM,8 0Z
COUPLE OF HANDFULS OF CHEDDAR CHEESE,OR MORE IF YA WANT!
MIX ALL TOGETHER,AND POUR SUM BREAD CRUMBS ON TOP
AND BAKE AT 350 FOR AN HOUR ,ENJOY!!!!!!
EVERYONE EATS THIS UNTILL THE WHOLE PAN IS GONE YA GOTTA TRY IT!!

Karen Larson
October 31st, 2005, 07:38 PM
Hi: I am new in here but would like to share that my mother shared a recipe very close to this with me. She used White and Wild rice and sauted it in a little oil added the onion and the herbs. Add water according to rice directions. Put in a 13x9-inch-baking pan and top with pieces of chicken. Bake at 350 degrees about 45 minutes, until chicken is done. Watch and add broth or water to the pan if rice seems to get to day. This was one of our favorites to serve when there was a croud. Very easy to enlarge this recipe. Make a Salad and serve your farvorite Bread and you have a wonderful meal.

mom2labs2
November 27th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Boy, does that recipe bring back memories of my childhood. Thanks for sharing!

supiezoo
March 2nd, 2006, 06:54 PM
I have the recipe for the 'seafood' stuffing used by many supermarkets, and it couldn't be simpler! It's so much cheaper to do it yourself!
Take 2 tubes of "Ritz" style crackers.. the 'buttery' ones., add 8 oz of surimi (sea leg) or 'lobster' legs or even real crab, if you can get it fresh.......
toss all into a food processer and pulse to your preferred consistancy. Add 1 egg white or about 2-3 ounces of the egg substitutes (all white, just colored yellow) Mix thoroughly to blend. Stuff into a beef roast for a surf and turf, or pork chops, maybe a flank steak.. oh, yes, you can even stuff FISH with it! :-) Supiezoo.. a very talented amateur.

jlmiller51
March 9th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Scalloped Apples

6 Servings

6 c. apples, peeled and diced
1 T. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Grease an 8" square pan with butter. Put apples into dish.
Mix the remaining ingredients and sprinkle on top of the apples.
Bake, covered for 40-45 minutes at 350 or until the apples are soft.

sirjeff
March 10th, 2006, 10:01 AM
This is a very good recipe, but not worth $250, as the "urban myth" goes.

windella
March 11th, 2006, 12:56 AM
I"m new to this site and would like to share one of my favorite cake recipes.
Toasted Coconut Cake
3 T. butter
2 c shredded coconut
1 c chopped pecans
1 box yellow or butter cake mix
ingredients called for on cake mix box
8 oz cream cheese,softened
2 t. milk
1 t. vanilla
3-3 1/2 c powdered sugar
Melt 3 T. butter add coconut and pecans.Saute till coconut is golden brown.Drain.Make cake mix according to package diections adding 1c coconut-pecan mixture.Divide among 3 8- inch cake pans.Bake according to directions.
Cream butter and cream cheese till light.Add milk,vanilla and sugar 1 c at a time beating until spreading consistency.Add remaining coconut pecan mixture minus 1/2 cup.Fill and frost cake sprinkle remaining 1/2 c on top of cake.

Pearlm09
March 18th, 2006, 12:41 AM
" I use to make regular cabbage rolls until I found this recipe. Now, instead, I make this and it is as good as the regular cabbage rolls and alot easier. "

Ingredients
2 pounds ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
3 1/2 pounds chopped cabbage
1 cup uncooked white rice
1 teaspoon salt
2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil over medium high heat until
redness is gone. Drain off fat.

3. In a large mixing bowl combine the onion, tomato sauce, cabbage,
rice and salt. Add meat and mix all together. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Pour broth over meat mixture and bake in the preheated oven, covered, for 1 hour.
Stir, replace cover and bake for another 30 minutes.

Serves 6

calibrez
March 19th, 2006, 03:45 PM
There is NO substitute for real, old-fashioned spaghetti sauce!! No short cuts here. And there is also no substitution for genuine, time-tested ingredients. Yes...just the way my Italian mother and grandmother taught me!!
Time to prepare: 20 min
Allow to (simmer) cook on low: 6 hours

1C REAL Olive Oil (Use the cold-pressed, virgin olive oil) Yum!
1-1/2 lbs. Ground Round (doesn't have to be the leanest cut, as the "fat" does really add flavor to your sauce). You can also substitute pork or meatballs here. See method for notes.
1 Large onion (I prefer red, but you can use white or yellow)
6 -10 Large Cloves of Garlic (Follow your own preference, but more is better in this case)
4 Lg cans Hunts Tomato Sauce (Must use this brand for success! Can substitute 1 can of Hunts whole tomatoes. I don't work for Hunt's either :-D )
1t. Salt (Remember, use your own judgement here)
2t Oregano (dried is good here)
2t fresh Italian parsley (minced)

Method:
Brown the meat in olive oil. Keep your meat in larger chunks. When the meat is turning brown, add the diced onion.

When the onion is just turning a transparent color, add the sliced garllic. Allow to cook for 1-2 min.

Then begin adding the Hunt's tomato sauce. If you are using any whole tomatoes, be sure to pull them apart with your fingers as you add them.
Special Note: Use the empty Hunt's tomato cans to add some water.

Fill each can about 1/4 full of water and as you add to your pan of sauce, rinse the sauce out of the can too. (Good to the last drop!) Add the salt.

Almost done...don't give up here.;-)

At this point, you should stir up the ingredients.

Add the oregano and parsley. Note: DO NOT STIR AFTER YOU ADD THEM! This is part of our family's sauce secret.

Now you just simmer the sauce...make sure it simmers only. Leave cook for the 4-6 hours. You will smell the delicious aroma of the sauce filling your house. Am I making you hungry?

MTMom53
March 22nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Easy Stroganoff
Makes 4 to 6 servings

2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. boneless beef sirloin steak strips or leftover roast beef
1 medium onion chopped
8 oz sliced mushrooms drained
1 can (10 3/4 oz) Cream of Mushroom or 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can (10 1/2 oz.) Beef Broth
2 to 3 T Worcestershire sauce or to taste
3 T ketchup
cooked corkscrew pasta or egg noodles
1 cup sour cream (don’t use fat free, it will break down)

Directions:
HEAT oil in skillet. Add beef and cook until browned and juices evaporate, stirring often. Remove meat and add onions to skillet and cook until translucent. If using cooked roast, start with cooking onions.
Add soup, broth, Worcestershire, ketchup, mushrooms, and meat. Heat to a simmer and cook about 15 min. stirring often. Add sour cream. Heat through. Serve over hot noodles. Add salad, bread and enjoy.

bakersfieldmom
April 23rd, 2006, 03:35 AM
Someone did help...Number 50. Coat with bread crumbs before frying.

bakersfieldmom
April 23rd, 2006, 03:37 AM
I was wondering the same thing.
See #50...dip in crumbs before frying.

nunziobiz
April 23rd, 2006, 03:50 PM
BALDANZA'S ITALIAN CREAM
[recipe from Baldanzas Italian Bakery in Long Branch, NJ, now closed]

This was positively the best filling for Italian Pastries such as Cream Puffs, Eclairs, Nappolians, and other Italian Pastries that had a similar filling. This bakery always made their own filling and did not scoop it out of a can like many of the commercial bakeries today. My brother used to work as a Bakers assistant in their kitchen and saved the recipe, thank God, as they are no longer in business. This is a classic! Enjoy!

1 QUARTS MILK
1 CUP SUGAR

STIR TOGETHER MILK AND SUGAR IN A 3 QT. SAUCEPAN OVER MED. HEAT WITH A WIRE WISK.
CONTINUE STIRRING UNTIL MILK ALMOST COME TO A BOIL.
WHILE MILK IS HEATING UP MIX TOGETHER THE FOLLOWING:

4 EGG YOLKS
2 HEAPING TABLESPOONS CORNSTARCH
3 HEAPING TABLESPOONS FLOUR
2 HEAPING TABLESPOONS SUGAR
1 TABLESPOON VANILLA FLAVOR

STIR EGGS WITH LARGE SPOON OR SMALL WISK IN MIXING BOWL. ADD CORNSTARCH GRADUALLY UNTIL MIXTURE IS SMOOTH AND STICKY. ADD A LITTLE MILK FROM THE SAUCEPAN UNTIL MIXTURE IS RUNNY. STIR MIXTURE AND ADD FLOUR WHILE STIRRING CONSTANTLY. MIXTURE SHOULD BE KIND OF THICK. ADD MORE MILK FROM PAN AND CONTINUE STIRRING UNTILL SMOOTH AND RUNNY. ADD SUGAR AND 1 TABLESPOON REAL VANILLA FLAVOR. BEFORE PAN MIXTURE COMES TO A BOIL SLOWLY POUR IN EGG MIXTURE WHILE STIRRING WITH THE WISK. CONTINUE STIRRING UNTIL IT COMES TO A SLOW BOIL. LET COOL AND THEN REFRIGERATE UNTIL READY TO USE . USE FOR CREAMPUFFS, EGGCLAIRS, CAKE-FILLING , OR PUT IN PUDDING CUPS AND EAT LIKE PUDDING ( LIKE I DO). YOU MAY HAVE TO ADJUST THE AMOUNT OF SUGAR ADDING MORE OR LESS TO SUIT YOUR TASTE.

REMEMBER, AS YOU ENJOY EATING THIS, THE GOOD OLD DAYS AT THE BAKERY, MAKING $1.40 AN HR. AND EATING ALL THE PASTRY(creampuffs, etc) YOU COULD STUFF DOWN YOUR MOUTH WHEN JOSIE WASN'T LOOKING. ENJOY

Poutine
April 24th, 2006, 11:53 PM
LEMON CHICKEN

Use 1 chicken breast / person. Cut chicken in large bite size pieces. Dip in beaten egg (with tsp of water added), and then drop in breadcrumbs. Let stand 10 min. Saut in olive oil on 6-7 heat until cooked and golden brown.
Sauce: Mix cup sugar, tbsp cornstarch, cup water. Mic until boiling stirring twice. Add a pinch of salt and mace.
Add 1 tbsp butter and juice of lemon (2 tbsp). Stir. Cook 20-25 sec. Stir. Pour sauce over chicken garnish with lemon slices.

novicechef
May 6th, 2006, 01:00 AM
What is a "tsb?" is this teaspoons or tablespoons?

susanfel
May 14th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Easiest Appetizers

Ingredients:
Whole water chestnuts (2 cans, drained)
Bacon (1 #)
10 oz bottle of Ketchup

Wrap 1/2 strip of bacon around each water chestnut. Broil (or microwave) until both sides of the bacon are crisp (turn them over half-way through). Place in slow cooker w/ the bottle of ketchup. Let it cook on low all day. Absolutely yummy, & nobody believes how easy they are to make. Put them in before work, & they're ready for you party when you get home!

PossumPoint
June 1st, 2006, 12:02 PM
Layered Ham Salad

I love this recipe for potlucks and BBQ's. It's quick and easy to put together, and when served in a trifle bowl it makes a great presentation. I also serve this salad with rolls and fresh fruit for a wonderful warm weather lunch or supper.

Salad:

1 (10 oz. bag) mixed salad greens
6 medium plum (Roma) tomatoes, chopped (2 cups)
1 can ( 11 oz.) Mexicorn whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained
2 cups cubed (1/2 inch) cooked ham
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (8 oz.)

Dressing:

1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1/4 cup taco sauce
2 tablespoons honey

In 5-quart glass salad bowl, spread salad greens. Layer remaining salad ingredients except cheese over greens.

In small bowl, mix dressing ingredients. Spread dressing evenly over salad. Sprinkle cheese over dressing. Cover, refrigerate up to 3 hours before serving.

kevin143
July 21st, 2006, 04:05 PM
ICE CREAM CHEESECAKE

*Chocolate cookie crust
2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
1/3 c. sugar
4 lg. eggs
1 pt. vanilla ice cream, softened
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp. salt
**Sour cream topping
Strawberries for garnish

*CHOCOLATE COOKIE CRUST:

Toss 1 1/2 cups fine chocolate wafer crumbs (about 25 cookies, crumbled) with 1/4 cup melted butter. Press firmly over bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Cool.**SOUR CREAM TOPPING:

MAE
August 19th, 2006, 06:40 PM
we love the grill veggies recipes..i like to place my veggies on a piece of a.foil that has been sprayed with pam,then i add salt,pepper and a good amount of glaric power,i also add sweet sauage to the mixture.fold it tight so it cannot leak and can build up a steam inside.grill oneach side about 12 min.oh don't forget your tomatoes..very important.this makes a delicious meal.

glorenzsonn
August 20th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Way back someone asked about caster sugar. Caster/castor sugar is an extra fine sugar used mostly in England. I assume that in the US you could give it a whirl or two in a processor to get it fine enough.

Danethead
August 30th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Whenever I have leftover Chicken or Turkey, this is usually what I use it to make. It's easy and delicious, and there are never any leftovers with this one!

Southwest Chicken Chili

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb Cooked chicken or turkey (I usually use leftovers)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup chicken broth
1 can northern white beans (I've also used kidney or others if I dont have white and its fine but white are best)
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
chopped green onions

Spice Blend
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cilantro (optional)
1/8 tsp red pepper

Heat oil in large skillet. Saute chicken and onions. Stir in broth and spice blend. Simmer 15 min. Stir in beans. Simmer another 5 min to heat. Serve over rice and top with Monterey Jack cheese and green onions.

nancykrem
August 31st, 2006, 11:36 AM
Apple Pie Cheesecake

CRUST
2 c crushed gingersnaps
6 T butter, melted

FILLING
3 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
1/4 c whipping cream
2 T all-purpose flour
1 t amaretto flavoring or vanilla extract
2 med firm tart apples, peeled, thinly sliced
1 T packed light brown sugar
1 t cinnamon

TOPPING
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c packed light brown sugar
1/4 c finely chopped pecans or walnuts
1/4 c butter, melted

Heat oven to 350 F. Spray bottom of 10" springform pan with Pam. In small bowl, stir together all crust ingredients. Press into bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of pan; wrap outside of pan with foil. Bake 5 - 7 minutes or until set. Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar at med-
ium speed, 2 or 3 minutes or until smooth. Beat in eggs, egg yolk, cream, 2 T flour and flavoring 1 min or until blended. Set aside. In medium bowl,
toss apples with 1 T brown sugar and cinnamon until lightly coated. Pour half of the filling into crust; arrange apples over the filling, overlapping slightly. Pour remaining filling over apples. Bake 40 minutes. Mean- while, in small bowl, stir together all topping ingredients; sprinkle over cake. Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until top is golden brown and set 3 inches from
edge. Cool on wire rack to room temperature. Refrigerate overnight.
Store in refrigerator. Serves 12

I found this recipe in Cooking Pleasures Magazine. It comes out perfect
every time. Hope you enjoy too.

KarenMars
September 5th, 2006, 06:34 PM
About 10 red potatoes
Butter
2 Cans Durkee Fried onions
1 pkg. Monterey Jack/Colby Cheese
1 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
1 can Real Bacon Bits

Boil potatoes, skin on and quartered. When tender drain and place in deep bowl. Add enough butter to coat . Add up to 1 cup miracle whip to lightly coat. Add 1/2 pkg of cheese, 3/4 can of bacon bits and 1 can fried onions and mix well. Place mixture in a 9 x 13 oiled pyrex baking dish. Cover mixture with other can of onions and top with the other 1/2 bag of cheese. Broil in oven until cheese melts.

chefbeedy
September 8th, 2006, 08:34 PM
For one large mould of cream, use half a package of gelatine, one gill of milk, two quarts of whipped cream, one gill of sugar, and two and a half ounces of Walter Baker & Co.'s Chocolate.

Soak the gelatine in cold water for two hours. Whip and drain the cream, scrape the chocolate, and put the milk on to boil.

Put the chocolate, two tablespoonfuls of sugar and one of hot water in a small saucepan, and stir on a hot fire until smooth and glossy. Stir this into the hot milk.

Now add the soaked gelatine and the remainder of the sugar. Strain this mixture into a basin that will hold two quarts or more. Place the basin in a pan of ice-water, and stir until cold, when it will begin to thicken.

Instantly begin to stir in the whipped cream, adding half the amount at first. When all the cream has been added, dip the mould in cold water and turn the cream into it.

Place in the ice-chest for an hour or more. At serving-time dip the mould in tepid water.See that the cream will come from the sides of the mould, and turn out on a flat dish.

Serve with whipped cream.
http://www.bobsinfoproducts.com/chocolate/

kempofwashington
January 23rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
I just read the recipe that Ron put out for the Olive Garden's Chicken Scampi. This is the copy cat recipe that has been floating out there for years. Here is the recipe for the real thing. I wish that I would have kept the name of the woman that sent it in, that actually worked there, because she has given me one of my favorite recipes for family and company. It always impresses. I usually make the full quantity of the sauce, because it freezes beautifully. I have included in parenthesis amounts for half a recipe and a recipe that feeds about 4. Instead of the ranch salad dressing that is recommended, I use the powdered ranch salad dressing found in the bulk section of our grocery and add garlic powder to it. I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I have.

Olive Garden Chicken Scampi
Here is the recipe from the Olive Garden. The chicken tenderloins are the only thing not authentic. They come into the restaurant already prepared.

1 (1/2) (1/3) pound butter
1/3 cup(3 Tbsp.) (2 Tbsp) garlic puree'
1/3 cup (3 Tbsp.) (2 Tbsp) chicken base (minors or tone brand)
20 ( 10) (8 ) fluid oz chablis (I used any dry white wine)
20 (10) (8 ) fluid oz water
40 (20) (16) fluid oz creme culinaire ( or heavy whipping cream)
1 tbls (1 tsp) (11/4) tsp) Italian seasoning
1 (1/2 ) (1/2) tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 (1/2 ) (1/2) tsp crushed red pepper
2 (1T) (2.5 tsp) Tbs fresh chopped parsley

Angel Hair Pasta

Melt butter on low heat do not let it get it brown. Add garlic puree' and let sweat for 2 minutes add remaining ingredients and simmer for approx. 10 minutes.

This is a 1x recipe makes around 1 gallon if memory serves me correctly. Amounts in parenthesis are for approximately 2 quarts.

For garlic roast 2 to 3 heads of whole garlic. Slice off top till you see cloves and pour approx 1 tbls olive oil over each head. Put in oven at 325 for around 1 hour or they smell sweet. After they cool, squeeze cloves out of the papery stuff and coarsely chop.

Cut up green, red and orange pepper into strips also red onion. (1/4 by 1 inch strips) They measure per serving 1 1/2 oz green pepper 1/2 oz red and orange pepper and 1/2 oz red onion and 1 oz roasted garlic. These are sauteed with the chicken.

This is the only part that is not authentic. Marinate chicken in marzettis lite ranch dressing adding 1 tbs garlic puree' and fresh parsley use fresh chicken tenderloin strips. There are 5 of these per serving you will cook the sauce while that simmers saute chicken and veggies and toss with the amount of sauce ( approx 6-8 fl. oz per serving)toss hot angel hair pasta in.

If you want less fat evaporated milk also works in place of the cream. One of my managers always insisted if we had to use whipping cream old bay seasoning was needed about 1 tsp. but I really never agreed.

Served as at Olive Garden. Mix pasta and sauce together. Place in dish and top with chicken strips and pepper garnish. ( I found it is easier to put pasta in individual serving dish and add sauce and garnish. Mix. Place 5 chicken strips on top.)

Southern Belle 2067
January 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks so much for the real recipe I have made Ron's recipe and it is very good and comes close to tasting like the Olive Garden's so close you can't hardly taste the difference.

I will use your recipe and thanks again for posting the real thing.

You have a great night!!!

SB

candyland
February 21st, 2008, 03:57 PM
:evil:
If this is what passes for "home made" these days, we need a new term for food actually prepared by the person who serves it. Surprised you bothered with fresh berries: you could have used frozen or even artificial berry flavoring without hurting the product much! :shock:
I don't think your comments were very nice or appropriate. In fact, if it's made at home...it's "homemade."

Kitchen Witch
February 21st, 2008, 06:07 PM
candyland -

I agree with you - but then again - see that it was posted by ANONYMOUS - a brave soul hiding behind a computer screen.

Homemade to some people is defined as made at home - to others homemade means made from scratch.

Since this forum is for homemade foods - it means what is made at home. It does not necessarily made from scratch.

And those that bake from scratch still use frozen berries! It would be quite hard in the middle of winter living in the snowbelt to go pick berries off a frozen bush covered with ice and snow. Frozen works just fine!

dreamin_cowgirl
February 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM
My absolute favorite recipe is for Beer bread.

Beer Bread Mix
3 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
3 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1 beer
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease loaf pan. Mix all ingredients and bake for 1 hr.

foodlover007
March 4th, 2008, 04:15 AM
All these recipes are wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

allexgirl
April 5th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Black Bean and Kielbasa Chili

2 tbsps. olive oil
1 to 2 lbs. kielbasa cut into small 1/4" by 1" cubes
1 large onion, chopped
2 red peppers, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
3 15 oz. cans black beans, washed
2 cups chicken broth
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
2 to 3 tbsps. chili powder
1 tsp. sugar
2 tbsps. red wine vinegar
3 bay leaves
1 to 2 tsps. oregano
2 tsps. ground cumin

Brown kielbasa in olive oil, transfer with slotted spoon to a 3-4 quart pot.
Saute onion, peppers and garlic until they begin to brown (10 minutes). Add to
the pot. Add beans, chicken broth, tomatoes and spices to the pot and heat to a
boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue
to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve topped with sour cream. For extra taste, grate a small amount of lime rind
into the sour cream and mix prior to topping the chili.

Kitchen Witch
April 5th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Sounds good allexgirl! thank you for sharing and welcome to RSN!

Kitchen Witch

Southern Belle 2067
April 5th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Mmmmmmm, yummy sounds great.

Thanks for sharing your recipe and welcome to our great site.

Southern Belle

Rosiecheeks
April 14th, 2008, 07:16 PM
This is one of my old favorites.

Chicken and Stuffing Casserole

1 Chicken cut up or Boneless Chicken Breasts 6 to 8
2 Cups Cheese
1 or 2 Cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 or 2 pkgs stuffing (stove top)

Place chicken in baking dish 9 X 13 will work but you can use any larger baking dish. Cover chicken with cream of mushroom soup. Sprinkle cheese over mushroom soup. Prepare stuffing mix according to directions using about 1/4 to 1/2 cup less water. Spread stuffing mix over top to cheese.

Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Again this is a recipe you can vary any way your family likes. You can use a whole chicken cut up or boneless chicken breasts. I usually use the boneless breasts. Use any cheese your family likes. The soup could be varied too. I have always used cream of mushroom but you could probably use any cream soup you like.

Small Town Kitchen | Pro Cookware (http://www.smalltownkitchen.com)
Small Town Living with Margie Cross (http://www.myrosiecheeks.net)

Ohlia
April 14th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Carrot Cake

1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
11/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash of vanilla essence

Cream butter and sugar. Add carrots and lemon juice, vanilla essence and mix together. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, walnuts, raisins and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly. Bake in a greased tin for 1 hour 15 minutes at at gas mark 4 or 350 degrees.

For Banana Bread - substitute carrots with six (6) well ripe bananas. Mash bananas with a fork and add lemon juice before adding to creamed butter and sugar.

michaelwyatt
April 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM
6tbs. mayonaise
1tbs. smokehouse pepper (reg. blackpepper if not available)
1tbs. salt
1tbs. lemon juice
3tbs. white vinegar
2tbs.sugar

yeild 1 chicken

This is just the base recipe.....I add 1-2tbs of chopped garlic, some Texas Pete for zip, I have even tried adding parm, cheese....

this is best on pulled pork or glazed on ribs

Kitchen Witch
April 15th, 2008, 01:35 PM
This is a great sauce and there is so much you can do with it - thanks for the post and welcome!!

Kitchen Witch

Southern Belle 2067
April 17th, 2008, 03:42 PM
This is a great sauce and there is a lot you can add to it to.

Thanks for the recipe!!!!

Tave a great day!!!!!

SB

NEWORLEANSHONEY
July 8th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Where is chicken?

NEWORLEANSHONEY
July 8th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Kitchen Witch HELP....
I'm trying to read recipe for chicken parmesan and it has all kinds of wierd symbols. Please translate symbols for us. THANK YOU

Kitchen Witch
July 8th, 2011, 03:26 PM
NOH - (I hope you don't mind the abbreviation) - can you copy the link and post it so that I can help you with it? I would be more than happy to - just post the link to the recipe and I will do it for you.

whampton49
September 6th, 2011, 12:44 PM
oooooh just tried this on fish tacos! EXCELLENT!

terrie1963
September 11th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I've made this a few times...it is good and easy. It works well with those *plus* spaghetti's (mixed whole wheat and regular) too. Very flexible..adjust to taste. Sometimes I stir in some peanut butter (in the broth).

SKILLET CHICKEN LO-MEIN

1 tbsp. dark sesame oil
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips (or tenders)
1 can chicken broth
1 c. water
3 tbsp. minced ginger root
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
3 tbsp. teriyaki sauce
1 lg. clove garlic
1 (8 oz.) pkg. spaghetti
1 pkg. frozen broccoli, carrot, red pepper and water chestnuts (fresh if you have it)
2 green onions

1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat, brown chicken 3 minutes or til done. Remove to a plate. In same pan bring broth, water, ginger, pepper flakes, teriyaki sauce and garlic to boiling. Add spaghetti. Simmer and cover 8 minutes, stirring often.
2. Stir in vegetables and chicken. Bring to boiling; simmer covered 4 minutes. Stir in onions. Serve. YUM.

terrie1963
September 11th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Baked Spaghetti

6 chicken tenders
1/2 box spaghetti
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 c shredded cheddar (I used medium cheddar)
1 small can sliced black olives, drained

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Boil spaghetti according to package directions, but slightly undercook it (eg. subtract a minute or 2; it will finish cooking in the oven).

Meanwhile, season chicken (I used smoked paprika and ground oregano) and microwave, in a dish, covered, approximately 5 minutes or til done.

When pasta is ready, drain pasta. Mix drained pasta, olives, spaghetti sauce, and chicken (you can cut it into chunks first if you like). It should be a little saucy. Place in square baking dish (greased) and cover with cheese.

Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes, depending on how *brown* you like it. Let it sit for a few minutes before cutting into squares and serving.

You could add or subtract what you like... leave out the olives, add mushrooms, green peppers, etc. You can substitute ground beef or sausage (cooked) for the chicken... and lots more!

terrie1963
September 11th, 2011, 09:42 PM
found a *sort of paella* recipe and tweaked it to make a Sort of Spanish Style Chicken and Rice dish... it's very good. As written, it is garlicky and lemony; feel free to adjust to your taste. It's pretty enough to serve for company. Serves 6-8.

Spanish Style Chicken and Rice

2 tablespoons olive oil
to 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons dried oregano
salt and black pepper to taste
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces

2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
1 pinch saffron threads
1 bay leaf
1 quart chicken stock
2 lemons, zested and juiced
1 small jar pimientos
3-4 green onions, chopped

(NOTE: you can substitute 2 bags of saffron rice for the 2 cups rice and saffron threads)

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a bowl or large plastic zip top bag, mix together 2 tablespoons olive oil, paprika, oregano, and salt and pepper. Stir in chicken pieces to coat. Cover, and refrigerate.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic, cayenne, and rice. Cook, stirring, to coat rice with oil, about 3 minutes. Stir in saffron threads, bay leaf, chicken stock, pimientos and lemon zest and juice. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a separate skillet over medium heat; saut chicken til done.
4. Spread rice mixture onto a serving tray (remove bay leaf). Top with chicken and chopped green onions.

It goes well with some good, crusty bread. You can tweak it alot... add sausage, shrimp, other vegetables, etc.

whampton49
September 20th, 2011, 12:22 AM
[QUOTE=Anonymous;1732]LAZY DAY COBLER

I love this recipe! It is a wonderful old fashioned dessert like MY Mom made. I had forgotten about it. Sometimes she used to use buttermilk instead of sweet milk. I have no idea...maybe that was all that was in the house. It works well for any type of fruit.

Thanks so much for sharing this old memory -- It is now safely in my recipe box.:D