40 Minute Hamburger Buns or Rolls

This recipe was posted on our churches e-bulletin board. I decided to give it a try…the whole time I was making these rolls I kept thinking “there is no way this will work” but I got a very pleasant surprise.

40 Minute Hamburger Buns or Rolls
By Sue Edwards

(Note: By Sue Edwards) Here on our ranch, I cook for three men besides my family and they all love hamburgers. These fluffy yet hearty buns are just right for their big appetites. I also serve the buns plain with a meal.

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions

• In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let
  • stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, salt and enough flour to form a
  • soft dough.
  • Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
  • 3-5 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide into 12 pieces; shape each into
  • a ball. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
  • Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes
  • or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
  • Yield: 1 dozen.

Thank you. These sound and look delicious.

Your welcome…I hope you enjoy them as much as we have.

Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I can’t say enough good things about it. I rarely make homemade bread because it takes so long with all the kneading and rising. But I like to keep bread in the freezer for when my friends come over and expect to be fed. This is really a good tasting bread and it freezes well. I bake it in the larger size muffin pans. I cut it up in the twelve pieces as indicated by the recipe and then divide each of those pieces into three pieces and roll them into balls. I put three pieces in each muffin cup and bake them. In my oven it takes 15 to 17 minutes to get them brown enough to suit me. When they are finished baking they look like cloverleaf rolls. Very elegant.

Since I live in the tropics and right on the ocean, the humidity is extremely high all the time, so I omit the 2 tablespoons of water and use all of the flour and sometimes a bit more as flour absorbs moisture from the air and the dough can be too soft if you use all the water.

I also tried an experiment for a friend who doesn’t have an oven and baked them in a 8x8x2 inch metal cake pan in an electric skillet. I raised the pan up off the bottom of the skillet with 4 flat river rocks and set the lid so the steam could escape. They turned out great too. I had to increase the baking time because my skillet doesn’t go up to 425 degrees. Now my friend is making homemade bread in her own skillet.

When I find a recipe I like, I like to experiment with it. Tomorrow, I’m going to use this same dough recipe and make my favorite caramel rolls. I haven’t had them in a long time, so I’m looking forward to it. Certainly better than waiting the 5 hours that recipe requires.

And thanks again for posting this.

its a nice forum …