A Couple of My Favorites

I was a wash-out in the Meatloaf Department for years. Any time I mentioned it, I was taken out to dinner. Then I found this recipe and my family looks forward to meatloaf now:

Beth’s Sweet and Sour Meatloaf

1-1/2 lbs ground beef
1/2 c dry bread crumbs
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
2 eggs
1 t minced onion
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce, divided

Topping

2 T brown sugar
2 T vinegar or lemon juice
1/2 c sugar
2 t prepared mustard

Mix together the ground beef, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and eggs. Add onions and 1/2 of the tomato sauce. Form into load in 9x5x3 pan. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.

In a saucepan, combine toppig ingredients, bring to a boil. Pour over meatloaf and bake for 10 more minutes.

Note: I cut the meatloaf in slices in the pan, and then pour on the topping and put back in the oven. I like the way it gets down between the slices.

With the Tomato’s getting bigger every day, you gotta try this one. It rocks!!!

Tomato Pie

1 pie shell (baked for 10 minutes at 375.
4-5 tomatos, peeled and sliced**
1/2 t salt
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t black pepper
1 t dried basil (fresh or dried, your choice)
1-1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 c mayonnaise

Mix the salt, pepper, garlic powder and basin in a bowl. After baking the pie shell, layer 1/2 sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with the seasoning mixture. Add another layer of tomatoes and the rest of the seasoning. Mix the cheese with the mayonnaise and spread on top of the pie.
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

**Some people peel, core, cut in half and squeese out the juice before slicing them. I didn’t and didn’t have a problem.

Impossible Cheesecake

1/4 cup milk/skim works
2 t vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup sugar/can use Splenda
1/2 cup Bisquick Mix
2 pkgs (8 oz)cream cheese (I use light) cut into 1/2" cubes and softened.
Cheesecake Topping (below)

Heat oven to 350. Grease 9" cake pan. Place milk, vanilla, eggs, and baking
mix in blender. Cover and blend on high 15 seconds. Add cream cheese and blend
on high for 2 minutes. Pour into pan. Bake until center is firm, 40
to 45 minutes. Cool. Spread carefully with Cheesecake Topping or Cherry
or Apple Pie Filling.

Cheesecake Topping

Mix 1 cup sour cream with 2 t sugar/splenda and 2 t vanilla.

Hi DragonLady,
These sound great. Next time I make a meatloaf I will try your recipe. I have all the ingreds for the tomato pie, so I think I will do that one first. I have made some of the other “impossible pies” from Bisquick but never saw this one. I will try it too. Thanx for some great posts!

JoanieCooks