Southern Stuffed Quail
“A truly Southern recipe. A good side dish to go with this is sweet potatoes. You can also grill over coals.”
Original recipe yield: 8 servings.
* 1/4 cup ground pork * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley * 2 tablespoons finely chopped carrots * 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery * 1 clove chopped fresh garlic * 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh bread crumbs * ground black pepper to taste * 8 quail, cleaned and split lengthwise * 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- In a bowl, mix the pork, parsley, carrots, celery, garlic, bread crumbs, and pepper.
- Arrange the quail in a baking dish. Separate the skin from the breast of each quail, and stuff with equal amounts of the stuffing mixture. Brush with bacon drippings.
- Broil the quail 7 minutes on each side in the preheated oven, or to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C).