A new cake recipe I just made.

:smiley:
Hi all…just tried this recipe recently and thought some of you might get a kick out of it too…here it is:
You Won’t Believe It P & B Cake
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
4 egggs
2 cup flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 ( 16 oz. ) pork and beans, drained
1 ( 8 oz ) can crushed pineaple, drained
1 tsp. apple pie spice
Preheat over to 350 %. Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon, spice, salt and baking powder. Add eggs and oil. Blend until smooth.
Blend pork and beans with mixer until smooth.
Add crushed pineapple and pork and beans to batter and blend.
Pour in greased bundt pan.
Bake 40 to 45 minutes.
Cool and frost with crean cheese icing.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1/4 cup softened oleo or butter
1 ( 8 oz. ) pkg. cream cheese,softened
1 box powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped.
Frosting:
Blend butter, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
Spread on cooled cake, and sprinkle with pecans.

Very good. Next time I think I’ll put about a cup of raisins in it.

Be sure to serve Ex-Lax after eating this. It sounds just awful. :oops:
:oops: :oops:

:roll: Wouldn’t it be better to try it before you rate it. Tastes much like a spice cake. IllinoisLady

How much of the pork and beans flavor came through or did it make it moist?

Thanks.

I plan on making this for our holiday potluck to give it a try. It would be the same as using veggies in a cake ex) carrot, zuchnni, mince meat etc wouldn’t it. I think the people knocking it should try it first. Your comments are pretty rude if you ask me and maybe shouldn’t respond to people. A rating is something you do after you try it. :x

Hi jejay:
Yes, it is similar to putting other vegetables or fruits in the cake. It is very thick to stir up but afterwards I thought the results were worth the extra efforts. I like some of the unusual things. I have a baked bean recipe that I put green apple, raisins, and Dr. Pepper soda into…so I guess some of the previous guests don’t have much to do and certainly don’t have a sense of adventure. I’m 59 and plan on holding onto my adventure and flexibility forever. I have a recipe making deviled eggs with pecans and routinely put chopped apples, celery and nuts in my tuna fish and chicken salads. If I have good sweet ones, grapes often find their way in as well. I almost never seem to have all the ingredients on hand that a recipe calls for so have been substituting almost as long as I have been cooking. Have only tossed out four or so ‘dishes’ in the 40 some odd years of cooking. Hope you enjoy the cake. IllinoisLady

I tried this cake for Thanksgiving instead of waiting for the potluck and I couldn’t belive how wonderful it was. Everybody loved it. Your right raisins would have been great too. The frosting is great.
Thank you so much and yes I will still make it for the potluck

Jejay…good for you and the cake. I am not and would never claim to be a great cook, but I can say that many of my dishes are enjoyable by others and a lot of fun for me. Especially when it results in such fun surprises like this cake. If you have not been before…you too will be the kind of cook/baker who is able to delight others. They’ll be standing in line to see what’s in the basket you brought. Way to go.
IllinoisLady

Interesting recipe. An advantage is that beans are very healthy and nutritive too, so one can eat dessert with less culpability.

Seems our guest doesn’t try anything new if cooking is done at all and there are enormous language difficulties. The same post recently almost word for word. This one will go to meet their maker without ever living beforehand. Try it guest…if you don’t care for it…move on. I’m sure your a nice person, but you don’t have much to do if all you can do is surf in and make rude comments. Try living a real life and I guarantee with us if what you see here is not to your liking.
Have a nice day anyway.
IllinoisLady
p.s. I’m not going to bother wasting any more of my time on you guest.

Hi folks…thanks for the fun reading.
My thought…with the beans in the cake you WON’T NEED EX-LAX.
Just kidding. I am a good cook and baker and would like to try
this recipe. I thought the same thing…might taste like a spice
cake. Maybe I’ll try it with raisins!
Will keep in touch…

I recently found a recipe for a bread with the P & B in it and also thought it was crazy but now that I see this I am not so sure! I might just have to try it soon! I will also find the bread recipe to post on here for you.

By the way, Guest was quoting the anonymous post and actually taking up for you! Just thought you’d like to know!

Thanks!

1. Hi everyone, Illinois Lady here. Don’t know if I have done so, but since we’ve talked so much about the Pork and Bean Cake thought I’d just put my Baked Bean ( Pork & Bean ) recipe in here. Just a note on this…it’s someone else’s recipe that I adapted and changed to something I thought would be teriffic----and my dish always comes home empty. I usually bring copies of the recipe with me.

Jackie’s Baked Beans

2 (16 oz cans ) Pork & Beans…well drained.
3/4 cup thick barbecue sauce ( I use Masterpiece )
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 green tart apple ( Granny Smith is good ) peeled, cored, & chopped.
1/2 small onion chopped
2 TBSP golden raisins ( I use a bit more cause I like them ).
1/3 cup DR. PEPPER soda ( no diet, please ).
3 strips of bacon cut in half

Preheat oven to 350%.
In 1 1/2 qt. casserole combine well the drained beans, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, apple, onions, and raisins.
Gently swirl in the soda.
Attange bacon strips over top.
Bake un-covered for about an hour.

It’s a nice recipe so if you don’t want to bother with the cake use your pork and beans for this.
Have fun. That’s what it’s all about. Hope you like this recipe as much as do.

Illinois Lady

:o
This is how I make my potato salad:

Jackie’s Potato Salad
6 to 8 baking potatoes
6 to 8 slices of bacon - fried and crumbled.
small chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery.
2 or 3 boiled eggs
black or green olives

Dressing:
3/4 cup Mayo ( I used Just Too Good Hellmans’s )
1/2 cup sour cream
small dab of mustard
1/2 cup shredded cheese ( any cheddar )
2 TBSPS sugar ( I use Splenda )

Boil potatoes, cool and then peel and cube
Fold and stir the rest of the ingredients in, including the dressing.
Put sliced olives on top…
everyone likes this version as it’s not quite as sweet and a pleasant change. Many people ask for this recipe too—especially if they are fond of sour cream on baked potatoes.

I thought you might like to try this in addition to your cake. I haven’t yet!

Pork 'n Bean Bread

2C. Sugar 1tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1 C. Vegetable Oil 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 eggs 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 Can (16 oz.) Pork 'n Beans, drained
2 C. Flour 1 C. raisins
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325

In a large bowl mix sugar, oil, eggs, and beans, beating until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder/soda. Add to bean mixture, stirring till just combined. Stir in raisins and vanilla.

Fill 5 greased and floured 16 oz. cleaned cans 2/3 full with batter. Place on baking sheet and bake 45-50 min, testing with a toothpick. Cool on a wire rack before removing from cans.

Note: If desired, open each can, leaving lid attached at one small point. Bend each lid away from can opening to allow bread to rise while baking. Serve with a red bandana folded in half diagonally, rolled up and tied around the can for western flair.

Bread can also be baked in two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 3/4 inch loaf pans at 325 for 50-55 mins.

hope you enjoy! :smiley: [/u]

Those people are rude to make such comments without trying!!!

I would hate to see what they would say about Sauerkraut Cake.
:lol:

My family didn’t want me to make a sauerkraut cake (thinking it would be sour, I suppose), but I snuck it on them. They didn’t even know! Teach them to be critics before trying it! :lol:
Anyway, I applaud the person who was willing to try something new.
I’ve heard of bean pie, but haven’t made it ~yet~(here is the recipe):

2 cups Navy Beans (cooked)
4 Eggs
1 14 oz. can evaporated milk
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 T. Flour
2 cups Sugar
2 T. Vanilla
Cook beans until soft. Preheat oven. to 350 degrees.
In electric blender, blend beans, butter, milk, eggs, nutmeg and flour about 2 minutes on medium speed. Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Pour into pie shells. Bake about one hour. until golden brown. Makes 2 or 3 Bean Pies.

5 stars to the person willing to take a chance

:roll:

Simply put–I can’t believe what i’m reading-- :roll

Thanks Brian…for standing up for me, and also the recipe board. While I have nothing to do with the board other than my meager contributions, it is for all of us. It’s a fun way to learn about new recipes and combinations and a way to reach out and share with others.
I have to admit that a time or two I considered just not staying with the recipe exchange, but I’m hooked. I’m never going to quit cooking—so I’ll just continue to hang out here and see what other fun dishes turn up to try.
Thanks again for making my day and thanks to all the nice posters on the board. Your all special.
All the Best,
Jackie :slight_smile:

Not a problem Jackie … I don’t fear standing up for anyone, especially in circumstances where unnecessary and derogatory comments are made by inconsiderate and vulgar people. You, in no way, deserved the reprehensible and judgemental comments posted in this thread (or any other thread), by the nameless “guest”.

Don’t shy away from further posts, just because of the ignorance or vulgarity of one person. And your contributions are NOT meager. Everyone on this board has the ability to contribute, in some way. Overall, I think we have a great group here at www.recipesecrets.net. That includes you too! And for the benefit of the “ünknown guest” and the naysayers…I made the P&B recipe…and it was enjoyed by all of my family! Rest assured, it will be made again.

Once again, you are more than welcome, and thank you for taking the time to respond. Evidently, you are a considerate person … a character trait that is most admirable. Keep on posting, Jackie…I’ll be looking for more of your recipes!
Regards,

B-man (Brian)