A New Twist On The Fish Fry

You all know that Friday is meatless cooking in my home. I haven’t made this in quite a while and this Friday I will be making it.

A NEW TWIST ON THE FISH FRY

1 small box corn bread muffin mix (any kind) (I use my homemade corn muffin mix)
1 to 2 tablespoons red cayenne pepper (to taste)
1 to 2 tablespoons garlic powder (I prefer very finely minced fresh garlic)
1 to 2 tablespoons dried chopped onion (preferred) or onion powder (once again - I prefer fresh and very finely minced - the tears are worth it!!)
1 tablespoon salt (kosher)
1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon oregano (Greek oregano is very good for this too)
All seasonings can be adjusted to taste

Whisk mix and seasonings; transfer to large ziplock bag; wash and drain fish fillets; add to bag and shake to coat.

Deep fry until golden; drain on paper towels and enjoy!

NOTE: If you feel you have too much coating - place part of it (BEFORE you use any) into a plastic baggie or container and freeze for future use.

I scrub potatoes and cut into good-sized steak fries. Some of them I will coat in the same mixture before frying and the rest I will leave plain. Deep fry and serve with malt vinegar for the plain ones.

Also a basic slaw - riced cabbage (green and red), chipped carrot and a basic dressing of mayo, vinegar and sugar. (Don’t want to add too many flavors with this fish fry!!)

Warm rye bread and butter.

Dessert - place peeled and chopped apple on very lightly buttered flour tortilla; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon; tuck and roll. Heat through using the Xpress 101 machine. Serve with vanilla ice cream.