Antipasto - Canning

This recipe has been in my family for years. I found an one original dated 1964 from Zia (my dad’s aunt) and she actually had reproducted it for him in 1964…so this was brought over from Italy from his Grandpa. My dad remembers his Gpa opening a can of this and spooning it over crusty bread and just diggin in. It is so yummy. You can choose to eliminate the tuna fish portion of it. My dad does, but again, this is the original recipe.

Antipasto

1 ½ cup olive oil
2 cups good cider vinegar
1 cup Water
Juice from 2 lemons
1 bottle catsup
1 bottle chili sauce
1 ½ quarts tomato puree
1 tbsp mustard seed
4 tbsp sugar
6 large carrots
1 large bunch celery
2 lbs small white onions
1 large head cauliflower
6 red peppers
6 green peppers
2 quarts mushrooms
3 large cans tuna fish
3 cans large black pitted olives
3 jars green stuffed olives
2 jars small sweet pickles.

Combine, olive oil, vinegar, water, lemon juice, catsup, chili sauce, tomato puree, mustard seed and sugar. Simmer for about 30 minutes and set aside to cool. All vegetables should be cut into small bite size pieces. Use one large kettle to cook vegetables. Cook each kind separately, in the same water until tender. DO NOT OVERCOOK. VEGETABLES MUST BE EL DENTE. Once vegetables are cooked, do not drain. Scoop out with a small strainer or slotted spoon. If necessary, when combining sauce and vegetables, use vegetable water to thin out sauce. Combine cooled sauce, cooked vegetables, mushrooms, tuna fish, olives and pickles. Mix well. Bring to a slow boil. Pack in pint jars and steam
for twenty five minutes… Remove from hot water gently, and place on a towel. Cover with the towel overnight. Next morning store. The recipe makes 16-18 pints.

Thank you for posting this recipe. This sounds like what I have been looking for. I will definitely leave out the tuna. I don’t like tuna at all) I will have to scale down the recipe though. It would take me years to use up 16-18 pints.

Good I really hope you enjoy it!!!