2 large mild onions, chopped
1 small head cabbage, chopped
1/2 cup salt
3 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons celery seed

Grind the chopped vegetables. Add the salt to them and let the mixture stand overnight. Drain the vegetable mixture in a jelly bag, pressing out all the liquid you can. Transfer the vegetables to a large pot. Add the vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, turmeric and celery seed and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for one hour. Stir frequently. Pour the relish into hot, sterilized pint jars, cover, process 15 minutes in a boiling bath.

and of course you can add/delete what you want -

also -

End-Of-The-Garden Pickles

• 6 c Red And Green Bell Peppers Chopped
  • 3 c Onions – diced
  • 3 c Cucumbers – diced
  • 1/2 c Salt
  • 2 qt Water
  • 3 c Carrots – diced
  • 3 c Lima Beans
  • 3 c String Beans
  • 3 c Cauliflower Flowerets
  • 7 c Vinegar
  • 7 c Sugar
  • 3 tb Mustard Seed
  • 1 tb Celery Seed

Combine the first 6 ingredients and let stand overnight in refrigerator. The following day, partially cook carrots, beans and cauliflower until they can be pierced with a fork. Do not overcook. Drain liquid from both cooked and uncooked vegetables. Combine all vegetables in a large kettle and add remaining ingredients. Cook vegetables about

(if anyone is interested)

Thank you Kitchen Witch :slight_smile: I will have to give this a try !! How have you been ? We are struggling along like most other people. Have a Great day !!

thanks again, Twowild

You’re very welcomed! I’m doin’ - ya know how that goes! This heat/humidity has everyone miserable. And to think that in another month and half to two months we’ll be crying over 3 feet of snow!

BTW - I hope you enjoy the recipe!

KW!!! Off the topic, but PLEASE don’t talk about complaining about snow…please??? As long as everyone is safe & warm…and roads aren’t icy, I’ll never complain about winter!!! Other than my tomato plants, there is no sign of life up & down our block in his hot, humid weather that you have to use your hands to part the air just to go out for the mail. Not to mention the threat of possible, severe storms every 3rd day.

We are totally fall lovers here! How many days till the leaves begin to turn & we can open up the doors & windows again??? Am checking my calender right now!!!

Whoops! Sorry off the topic…but it is food related as I did mention the word tomatoes, right?

too funny - at least you didn’t say you had to give your tomato plants mouth-to-mouth! LOL

I’m a fall baby - and I love the fall of the year - I would love a really long fall - that is when you can open the windows, need a blanket on the bed, BAKE ALL DAY, and dress comfortably. I’m dying for homemade bread - and I can’t stand boiling water for a cup of tea.

At least when it snows - you can bake and cook and sit comfrotably and enjoy everything.

And living in the snow belt - well…but I would love a long, long fall.

Old Fashioned Chow Chow

1 small cabbage chopped
6 green or red tomatoes chopped
6 medium bell peppers chopped
6 large onions chopped
2 hot peppers chopped
3 cups sugar
5 cups white vinegar
1/4 cup salt or pickling salt

Put all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until desired tenderness is achieved.

Notes

This recipe is designed to be put in pint jars and sealed. Yields 8 to 9 pints.

But you could cut recipe down to use for one night of dinner.

Suggestion: cut in half if serving at least six people.

4 cups finely chopped cabbage
3 cups diced green tomatoes
2 1/2 cups diced bell peppers, preferably a mix of colors
2 1/2 cups diced white onions
1/2 cup minced jalapeno chiles
1/3 cup kosher salt
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric

1. In a large bowl, toss the cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, onions, chiles, and salt well with your hands. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to overnight. Drain in a colander, rinse, and drain again.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, stir together the vinegar, water, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, and turmeric until the sugar dissolves. You can let the mixture sit as long as the vegetables do.

3. When the veg mix is ready, bring the vinegar to a boil. Add the vegetables, return to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer for 5 minutes. You want to keep the crunch. Ladle the mixture into sterilized canning jars and jar properly or refrigerate for up to 3 months. You can serve it after a day or two.

Carla Hall, The Chew