As requested - mushroom sauce

As requested - mushroom sauce

Kitchen Witch’s Mushroom Sauce

This is wonderful with any beef, steak, hamburgers, etc. braised, broiled, fried, roasted, etc.

I start by sautéing a spoon or so of chopped onion in ½ stick butter (I prefer butter over margarine); add about ¼ c. flour and about ½ t. kosher salt; stir smooth. Add 2 c. beef stock (I use homemade - you can use beef cubes or granules dissolved in 2 c. boiling water - or your favorite brand of beef broth - but omit salt) and a few grinds from the pepper mill. Stir smooth. Add a bit of browning sauce. Depending on what you are serving it with, you may want to strain but it is not necessary. Meanwhile in separate skillet, saute about 8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms in a bit of butter; add to sauce; bring to boil; remove from heat; serve.

NOTE: Treat the mushrooms gently - you don’t want them tough! Too much cooking ruins them. If using canned mushrooms for any sauce - 3 -4 minutes should do it and for fresh mushrooms 5 - 6 minutes should do it.

If you want to get a bit “fancier”, saute mushrooms, chopped (about 3) shallots and garlic clove in half the butter for about 3 minutes (until mushrooms have softened); transfer to bowl. Melt remaining butter in same pan, remove from heat, whisk in flour; place over low heat, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes or until golden brown - do not burn. Add beef broth and return mushroom mixture to pan, cook until thickened, stirring, about 3 minutes. Add 1 t. dried thyme leaves (crushed), a few grinds of the black pepper mill and ¼ c. red wine; heat through and serve.

For an easy “cream” sauce - melt your butter, add chopped shallots or onions and saute 3 to 4 minutes; add minced garlic and saute another 2 minutes; add chopped or sliced fresh mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste; stirring until mushrooms have softened; increase heat and pour in about ½ c. white wine, stirring until the wine has reduced by 2/3; reduce heat and pour in ½ - ¾ c. cream; pinch of nutmeg can be added - heat through and serve.

A simpler cream sauce - heat a bit of olive oil; add butter, melt. Add sliced fresh mushrooms and saute until soft; add flour, stirring. Stir in milk - stir constantly until thickened; season with salt and pepper to taste; cook another 5 - 8 minutes; serve hot.

Or really make a very simple sauce - open a can of cream of mushroom soup, add a bit of milk and a dollop or two of sour cream; heat through and serve. And you can jazz this one up by sautéing some chopped shallots or onions in a bit of butter before combining the soup, milk and sour cream.

These are just a few basics for beef - I have plenty more is you need them.

Another easy variation -

Saute onion, green and red bell pepper with mushrooms in butter until softened; add a can of cream of chicken soup and a bit of milk (about 1/3 c.)