Avocado in Tortilla Cups
(makes 40 pieces)
10 6-inch corn tortillas
vegetable cooking spray
3 large ripe avocados
2 cups (456 g) plain nonfat yogurt, drained
1 large plum tomato, seeded and finely minced
2 tablespoons (20 g) minced shallots or red onion
2 large cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons (45 ml) fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon (5 ml) chili powder
dash cayenne pepper
10 pitted ripe olives for garnish
minced fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375Â°F (190Â°C), Gas Mark 5. Lightly spray mini-muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Cut tortillas into quarters. Mist tortilla quarters with water and place 1 quarter in each muffin cup opening, pushing down in the center to form a cup. Spray again with cooking spay. Bake until cups are golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Tip out the cups and cool on a rack.
- Cut avocados in half lengthwise; remove and discard the pits. Using a spoon worked in between the flesh and the skin, remove the avocado half from the skin. Cut the avocado into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Using a large mixing spoon, mix the avocado with the yogurt, mashing the avocado as you mix to a chunky consistency. Stir in tomato, shallot, garlic, lemon juice, lime juice, chili powder, and cayenne. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut each olive into 4 crosswise slices. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To assemble, spoon some of the avocado mixture into each tortilla cup. Sprinkle the top of each with some of the minced cilantro and top with an olive slice. Arrange on a large serving platter.
Per 2-piece serving: 95 calories (45% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 5 g total fat (0.8 g saturated fat), 11 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 25 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (bread/starch), 1 fat