Baked Macaroni

Today is baked macaroni - using jarred (homemade and frozen) sauce.

Sauce was originally made by peeling roma tomatoes (slit bottoms and place in boiling water to loosen skins - remove from boiling water and remove skins), removing seeds and cooking until thickened. In separate skillet, saute garlic in olive oil, adding chopped onion, green bell pepper and red bell pepper. Add thickened tomatoes, salt, pepper, parsley, basil, marjoram, chili powder and a sprinkle of sugar. Simmer.**

Boil pasta of choice (today is cut ziti and rigatoni) al dente; drain. Layer sauce, pasta, grated mozzarella and greated provolone, ending with sauce on top which is topped with grated pecorino romano in casserole dish.

Bake in preheated 350* F. oven 20-30 minutes to heat through.

Served with a simple green salad - romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, croutons; dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar; seasoned with salt, pepper, basil.

Italian bread, sliced and toasted in the oven (while the casserole is cooking). Turn bread halfway through - butter with minced fresh garlic on top and sprinkle with grated pecorino romano.

**I make large pots of sauce for the freezer for those days that I don’t have time or just not sure of what I want to make for dinner. When the sauce is done I remove it from the heat and let it cool about 15 minutes; ladel into quart jars (or pints to use as a dipping sauce or for pizza, impossible pies, etc.) and place in the refrigerator (don’t let jars touch) for 24 hours. After 24 hours, cap jars and place in freezer. I have the advantage of having 2 refrigerators and a large chest freezer making it easy for me.