Balsamic Roasted Pork Loin

A very simple but very tasty entree.

2 tablespoons steak seasoning rub
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 pounds boneless pork loin roast
2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)

Dissolve steak seasoning in balsamic vinegar, then stir in olive oil. Place pork into a resealable plastic bag and pour marinade over it. Squeeze out air and seal bag; marinate 2 hours to overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place pork into a glass baking dish along with marinade. Bake in preheated oven, basting occasionally until the pork reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees, about 1 hour. Let the roast rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

USDA Lowers Pork Doneness Temp: Slightly Pink Is Okay

Pork happy chefs across the nation are rejoicing after the USDA announced it is lowering the recommended doneness temperature for pork to 145, which is the same temperature for beef, veal, and lamb. Meat equality! Ground meat will still be held to a 160 standard and poultry must be cooked to 165, though.

A representative for the National Pork Board said it will take a little while before people are okay with slightly pink pork, “Those myths die hard.”

I gave this a try for dinner yesterday. But as usual I added my own flair. McCormick Makes Grill Mates, and you can find them in the grocery with other dry mixes for chili, spaghetti sauce, taco sauce and the like. These Grill Mates are dry mixes for marinade that you add oil, water, vinegar or whatever. Then you marinade the meat for at least 2 hours or overnight if you prefer. I had used the Chipotle Pepper flavor on a pork tenderloin that I grilled, and we really liked it. So I used the Chipotle Pepper Grill Mate in lieu of the steak seasoning, and it is not hot just spicy. The package shows to add 1/4 cup water and 1/4 olive oil, but instead of the water I added balsamic vinegar. I marinated for 4 hours, and then I slow smoked it (you can grill if you choose), and it was very tasty.

If Chipotle pepper is not to your liking, they have Baja Citrus, Tomato, Garlic & Basil as well as other flavors.

I cooked it to 145 degrees, and it was fine.

This is now one of my favorites. I had a 6 lb loin so I cut off about 2 lb to make this recipe. I used the other 4 lb to make Canadian bacon, and it will be ready tomorrow. Yummy!

If I had done the 6 lb I figured there would not been enough marinade. Besides I wanted just enough for 2 people for 2 or 3 days, and I would not have to freeze any. I have not made Canadian bacon in about 6 months so it was time for some. We always eat some the day I smoke it, then freeze the rest in amounts to feed 2 people for a breakfast and a warm up meal.