BBQ Pulled Pork in Slow Cooker

I got my pork roast in the crockpot. I used Club House BBQ Pulled Pork seasoning for the slow cooker. First time that I’ve seen this and decided to try it. It says to mix the seasonings with 1/2 cup ketchup (I didn’t have any so I used chili sauce instead), 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup cider vinegar (used 3 Tbsp, all that I had left). We’ll see how this turns out.

Awhile back, I bought a jar of President’s Choice Memories of Shanghai Honey Hoisin Sauce (not sure if they sell this in the States). Hubby kept after me to use it. So the other day we went grocery shopping and we had to make a quick dinner. Hubby said we should use the above-mentioned sauce tonight. We bought a package of stir fry beef strips and an orange bell pepper.

Long story short… I stir fried the beef half way through, added the slivered orange pepper and sliced onion. Added half the bottle of sauce and cooked it for about 2 minutes. Awesome! I served it with perogies but it would have been better with more sauce and with basmati rice.

**When I first tasted the sauce out of the jar, I thought that I would woof my cookies! LOL There was a taste there that I wasn’t too sure about. Hubby loved it. It had a slight “hot bite” at the end. I added a little bit at first when I made the dish, but you couldn’t taste anything. When I added half the bottle, it really tasted good. I even had some leftover the next day and wrapped it up in a flour tortilla with romaine lettuce and sour cream. Yummy… I could live on fajitas! It just goes to show you that some things taste better when they’re mixed with the appropriate ingredients.

Aline

Told you Hoisin Sauce would make the difference in oriental foods LOL!

How did the pulled pork turn out?

bw

after thought: I bet the chili sauce was better then the ketsup!

The pulled pork turned out great! So tender and juicy. I was afraid that there would be too much “smoky flavour” but there wasn’t. I agree, the chili sauce was better than the ketchup.

Aline

aline,

i used to go to an oriental grocery store and buy my hoisin sauce there. they have all kinds of pastes and sauces that you can use for chinese cooking. black bean, hoisin, hot chili sauce, etc. really good stuff. check it out.

yeah, i know what you mean. hoisin sauce sure is nasty right from the jar but tastes so different cooked.

rho