BEAN & MACARONI SOUP
This cholesterol-free tasty dish is virtually fat free and is prepared with only 1 tablespoon of oil for 16 servings.
2 cans (16 oz) great northern beans
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 C onion, coarsely chopped
2 C carrots, sliced
1 C celery, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 C cut-up peeled fresh tomatoes or 1-1/2 lbs canned whole
tomatoes cut up
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried oregano
to taste black pepper
1 bay leaf, crumbled
4 C cooked elbow macaroni
- Drain beans and reserve liquid. Rinse beans.
- Heat oil in a 6-quart kettle; add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook over medium heat 20 minutes. Cook macaroni according to directions on package using unsalted water. Drain when cooked. Do not overcook.
- Combine reserved bean liquid with water to make 4 cups.
- Add liquid, beans, and cooked macaroni to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cover and simmer until soup is throughly heated. Stir occasionally.
Yield: 16 servings–Serving Size: 1 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 1 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 154 mg*
- If using canned tomatoes, sodium would be higher.