Beef in Red Wine
6 servings with leftovers)
olive oil cooking spray
3 slices nonfat turkey bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 pound (1420 g) piece rump roast
1 large onion, peeled, stuck with 4 whole cloves
2 ounces (60 g) grated carrot
3 large cloves garlic, sliced thin
1 cup (240 ml) dry red wine
1 bay leaf
4 sprigs thyme
1/4 cup (17 g) chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 6 pieces
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
1 pound (480 g) green beans, ends snipped
refrigerated butter flavored refrigerated cooking spray
8 ounces (240 g) mushrooms
freshly ground pepper
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add the turkey bacon and sautÃ© until it begins to crisp. Add the beef, and brown on all sides.
- Transfer turkey bacon and beef to a 3 1/2-quart or larger crockery slow cooker. Add onion, grated carrot, garlic, wine, bay leaf, thyme and parsley. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 minutes.
- When beef is almost done, cook potatoes in boiling water to cover until almost tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add carrots and green beans. Continue to cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. Drain vegetables and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with butter-flavored cooking spray. Add the mushrooms and sautÃ© over high heat until mushrooms are tender and all liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer beef to a carving board and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing into thin, against the grain, slices. Arrange beef slices on a heated serving platter. Discard clove-stuck onion, bay leaves, and thyme sprigs.
- Stir cooked vegetables and mushrooms into pan juice of the slow cooker to warm. Spoon the vegetables and pan juices over the beef. Season to taste with pepper. Serve immediately.
Per 4-ounce meat serving with vegetables: 352 calories (26% calories from fat), 40 g protein, 10 g total fat (3.3 g saturated fat), 25 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 111 mg cholesterol, 112 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 4 lean protein, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 2 vegetable)