Beef - Quantity to Buy

That’s a hard one - so many people are such big meat eaters - but this is a part of the BEEF information that is posted on page 6 (right now - until it moves from more posts) that I did not post with that information - because it is hard to judge how much someone will eat. As you can see - (this was a chart - so it may be a tad hard to follow - this site will not allow charts to be copy/pasted in their original format) - this says 3 ounces per person for stew meat.

• Quantity to Buy

The following are some points to consider when purchasing cuts of beef:

* Lean boneless cuts yield up to 4 servings per pound.
* Beef cuts with some bone yield up to 3 servings per pound.
* Bony cuts yield no more than 1½ servings per pound.
* One serving of a rib roast is equal to half a rib, so if you will be serving 8 people, a 4 rib roast should be purchased.
* 16 ounces (one pound) of ground beef produces about 4 cooked 3-ounce servings, which is the serving size recommended for a healthy diet.
* When planning a meal, it is always better to purchase too much beef than not enough. Always be prepared for people with larger appetites. If there are leftovers, cooked beef will keep in the refrigerator for several days or the unused portions may be frozen for long term storage.

Type of Beef Cuts

3 oz. Servings
Per lb.
Type of Beef Cuts 3 oz. Servings
Per lb.

Steaks:

Pot Roasts:

Tenderloin 4.0 Chuck Arm (boneless) 3.0
Porterhouse 2.5 Chuck Top Blade (boneless) 3.0
T-bone 2.5 Cross Rib (bone-in) 2.0
Rib-eye 3.0 Bottom Round 3.0
Rib 2.5 Brisket 4.0
Top Loin Strip (boneless) 4.0 Rump (bone-in) 2.0
Top Sirloin (boneless) 4.0 Rump (boneless) 3.0
Chuck Top Blade 3.0
Top Round 4.0 Ribs:
Flank 4.0 Short Ribs (bone-in) 1.5
Skirt 4.0 Short Ribs (boneless) 2.5

Oven Roasts: Miscellaneous:
Tenderloin 4.0 Stew Meat 3.0
Standing Rib 2.5 Cross Cut Shanks 2.0
Rib-Eye 3.0 Ground Beef 4.0
Tri-Tip 4.0 Organ Meats 4.0

Note: You can save money by purchasing larger portions of beef and then dividing them into smaller cuts at home. Larger cuts of beef often cost less per pound because less preparation is required from the butcher. Make sure that you have a sharp knife and that any beef that will not be used is stored properly in the refrigerator or freezer.

thanks. I kind of figured that was the amount but it’s good to know so I don’t buy to much.