"better weather" dinner

It’s FINALLY starting to warm up! Although we still have snow - it is getting warmer. Of course - living in the snow belt - when the temps hit 40 - you see the joggers out there in their “short” running shorts and T-shirts! But they are wearing knit caps - LOL!!! We are so eager for nicer weather after all we have been through!!

So I am in a BBQ mood! Today it’s split chickens that I will roast in the oven (it’s still cold to me and the furnace is still running - plus it is very damp and raining) - rub olive oil on both sides of the halves, season with kosher salt, cracked black pepper, plenty of fresh garlic, fresh parsley (saved some before drying) (what a deal I got yesterday at the market - large bunches of fresh parsley for 39 cents each! Cut and cleaned, let air dry on paper towels overnight and this morning I dried in the oven at 175 - 200*. Now I have a gallon bucket full!!! - such a deal!) Then I will slather on the BBQ sauce - honey BBQ sauce today: melt butter in pan, saute diced onion then add water, ketchup, honey, lemon juice, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, cracked black pepper and a dash of hot sauce. I can get some nice grill marks if I place the chicken halves on the electric grill while basting with sauce!

Naked jo-jo’s: scrubbed taters, cut into wedges, place garlic-infused olive oil in bowl, season with salt, pepper and parsley, toss potato wedges to coat and bake till done.

A large antipasto: greens, tomatoes, sliced salami, chunks of aged provolone, mozzarella, black olives, pepperoncini, hot ham, soppressata, pepperoni, red wine vinegar, garlic-infused olive oil, salt, pepper, basil and fresh pecorino-romano to sprinkle on top.

Crusty Italian rolls.

One baked pie shell, cooled and filled with pistachio pudding (2 4-serving boxes), 3 1/4 c. milk, small tub cool whip, thawed mixed in and of course chopped pistachio nuts folded in. Whipped cream if desired.

Lunch - PANINI!! I love panini! Crusty Italian bread - split lengthwise and filled with ham, sopressata, salami, provolone, lettuce, banana peppers and sweet pickle slices, seasoned mayo - grilled on George Forman.

Sweet green iced tea!