Black and White Turkey Chili

Black and White Turkey Chili

This is really good with the mix of earthy flavored black beans and creamy white beans combined into a chili.
Adding a little dusting of chipotle chili powder to taste, if you like a little heat, really warms you up.

2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup yellow onions, diced
1/2 cup bell peppers, diced

1 pound ground turkey
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chrushed dried oregano
1/4 tsp seasoning salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper

1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes - with liquid
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1/4 cup salsa verde
1 beef bouillon cube
1 (15 ounce) can black beans - with liquid
1 (15 ounce) can great northern white beans- with liquid (any type of canned white beans will work)
1 cup water

In a 3-quart saucepan, saute the onions and bell peppers in the cooking oils until the onions are golden brown.

Add ground turkey and seasonings, crumble turkey, mix well and saute until turkey is browned.

Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salsa verde, beef bouillon, two cans of beans and 1 cup of water to saucepan.

Mix well and simmer for about 20 to 30-minutes, stirring occasionally.

Black & White Turkey Chili is really good with the Alber’s cornbread recipe below. Either on the side with butter or crumbled into the chili.
I just use a generic yellow cornmeal from WalMart, sorry Albers.

Alber’s Corn Bread

Makes 12 servings

This moist corn bread can be served with salads, soups, stews, chilies, or southern fried chicken. Try it toasted and spread with butter and jam in the morning.

1 cup Albers® White or Yellow Corn Meal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten

PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Grease 8-inch square baking pan.

COMBINE meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Combine milk, oil and egg in small bowl; mix well. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until blended. Pour into prepared pan.

BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.

NOTE Recipe may be doubled. Use greased 13x9-inch baking pan; bake as above.

Source: Alber’s Corn Meal website

I have Thanksgiving turkey breast leftovers in the freezer. Could I use those in your chili recipe in lieu of the turkey sausage?

I just use plain ground turkey, not even turkey sausage. No reason you can’t use chopped up turkey breast. It would work just as well.