BLACK SKILLET BEEF WITH GREENS & RED POTATOES
A heart-healthy one-dish meal that is made with lean top round beef, lots of vegetables, and a spicy, herb mixture.
1 lb top round beef
1 Tbsp paprika
1-1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper
1/8 tsp dry mustard
8 red-skinned potatoes, halved
3 C finely chopped onion
2 C beef broth
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 large carrots, peeled, cut into very thin 2-1/2-inch strips
2 bunches mustard greens, kale, or turnip greens, stems removed, (1/2 lb each) coarsely torn
as needed nonstick spray coating
- Partially freeze beef. Thinly slice across the grain into long strips 1/8-inch thick and 3 inches wide.
- Combine paprika, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, and dry mustard. Coat strips of meat with the spice mixture.
- Spray a large heavy skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat pan over high heat.
- Add meat; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, onion, broth, and garlic. Cook covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, lay greens over top, and cook, covered, until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Serve in large serving bowl, with crusty bread for dunking.
Yield: 6 servings–Serving Size: 7 oz
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 45 mg
Sodium: 101 mg