Today’s Secret Recipe comes from Broken Spanish in Los Angeles. They serve sophisticated Mexican dishes and cocktails. One of Chef Ray Garcia’s dishes is the grilled asparagus tostadas with a charred tomatillo chermoula. You can assemble the tostadas completely or set up a bar for friends and family to put together their own.
Weight Loss Secrets
Learn how to Lose 9 lbs. Every 11 days
New Secret Recipe
Broken Spanish Grilled Asparagus Tostadas with Charred Tomatillo Chermoula
Like this recipe? Get our Restaurant Secret Recipes Cookbook – Here
Charred Tomatillo Chermoula:
- 1 medium tomatillo, husk removed, rinsed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 piece (1/4-inch) fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 serrano chile, stemmed, seeded, and very finely diced
- 1/2 small bunch cilantro, very finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- Kosher salt
- Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high (alternatively, heat a grill pan over medium-high heat). Put the tomatillo on the grill, and cook, turning to evenly char, until blackened with blistered pockets, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Very finely chop the charred tomatillo and transfer to a large bowl. Using a Microplane zester, finely grate the garlic, ginger and the lime’s zest directly on top. Halve the lime and squeeze in the juice, then add the olive oil, cumin, chile and cilantro. Stir to combine and season with salt.
Note 1: Make Ahead: The chermoula can be refrigerated for up to 1 day.
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt
- Combine the oil and chiles in a blender and purée until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a liquid measuring cup and discard any solids. You should have two-thirds cup drained oil.
- Whisk the egg yolk in a small bowl. While whisking, add the serrano oil in a slow, steady stream until the mixture emulsifies. If it breaks, whisk in a teaspoon of warm water. Whisk in the lime juice, then season with salt.
Note 2: Make Ahead: The aioli can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Hibiscus Pickled Onions:
- 1 medium red onion
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 habanero chile
- 3 dried hibiscus flowers
- Halve the onion lengthwise then cut it crosswise into very thin half-moons. Put the onions in a glass pint jar or nonreactive container.
- Bring the vinegar and chile to a boil in a small saucepan, then pour over the onions. Add the hibiscus flowers and turn to coat. Seal the jar or cover and refrigerate overnight.
Note 3: Make Ahead: The onions can be refrigerated for up to 1 month.
Grilled Asparagus Tostadas with Charred Tomatillo Chermoula:
- 2 bunches (2 pounds) asparagus, trimmed
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Charred Tomatillo Chermoula (see recipe above)
- Serrano Aioli (see recipe above)
- 8 tostada shells
- 2 ounces goat cheese or cotija, crumbled
- Hibiscus Pickled Onions (see recipe above)
- Fresh herbs, such as cilantro, dill, purslane, and borage, to garnish
Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high (alternatively, heat a grill pan over medium-high heat). Drizzle the asparagus with just enough olive oil to lightly coat (about 1 tablespoon) and sprinkle with salt. Grill, turning to evenly char, until bright green and almost tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 1-inch lengths at an angle. Transfer to a bowl with the chermoula and gently fold to evenly coat.
Divide the aioli among the tostada shells and spread to the edges. Top with the asparagus and its chermoula, then sprinkle over the crumbled cheese, pickled onion, and herbs. Serve immediately.
Have a comment or question about this recipe? Post it here.
Share This Recipe:
Source: LA Times
Until Next Time… Be Well!