This Brunswick stew is as American as apple pie. Make this stew with chicken or rabbit.
- 2 slices bacon – diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- pinch cayenne
- 1 4-lb chicken or rabbit – cut up (with giblets if chicken is used)
- 3 onions – thinly sliced
- 4 tomatoes – chopped
- 1 red bell pepper – chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crumbled
- 2 cups lima beans – fresh
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1/2 cup okra – sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Cook bacon in its own fat until rendered. Remove the bacon bits and set aside. Combine flour, salt, pepper and cayenne and dredge the rabbit or chicken. Brown the pieces in the rendered fat with the onions. Add 1 1/2 cups boiling water, tomatoes, red pepper and thyme to crockpot with meat. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours. Add remaining ingredients including reserved bacon, cover and cook on high 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Crockpot Brunswick stew serves 6.