Buttercream icing

I am looking for the best buttercream icing, that does not crust or get hard. . I was told to add crisco to my recipe to keep it soft.And it does work, but I don’t think the professional bakers use that method. Can anyone help me?

of course they use Crisco -

here’s two 0 one with and one without -

BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk

Cream the butter and the vegetable shortening. Mix in the vanilla. Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar beating well (use an electric hand mixer). Add evaporated milk and continue to beat. Whip until fluffy. Frosting is ready to use.

BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
(without shortening)

1/2 cup butter or shortening, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk (or cream)
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream together butter or shortening. Add remaining ingredients and continue creaming until mixture is well blended, light and fluffy. Will frost 2 cake layers.

BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
(using 1 lb. box confectioner’s sugar)

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 lb. box confectioners’ sugar
1/3 cup evaporated milk*
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream together butter and shortening. Gradually beat in the sugar then add the evaporated milk gradually. Beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.

*You may want to add 1/4 cup of milk if you are using icing for borders or flowers on your cake.

BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 to 6 tablespoons of cold milk

Cream the butter and the vegetable shortening until its fluffy. Mix in the vanilla. Gradually add the confectioners sugar beating well (use an electric). Add milk and continue to beat. Whip until fluffy. add the 3 tablespoons of milk and see if its to your liking add more milk until the thickenss is just right. Frosting is ready to use.
this is how I made mine and it was given to me by a backery in ontario, California
I have to make sure my cake is ready to frost or my family eats it with a spoon. And I do have to admit I do too LoL…