Cake pops are super easy and fun to make. You can pretty much use any flavor cake and frosting to make these bite sized pieces of deliciousness.
1 box of any flavored cake (vanilla, white, chocolate, etc.) OR a home made 9x13 cake.
1/2 a can of any flavored frosting (preferably whipped cream cheese)
1 tablespoon coconut oil (not necessary, but highly recommended)
1-2 cup semi-sweet, dark chocolate chips, or any flavored candy melts
lollipop or thin Popsicle sticks
Any additional toppings you want.
A slab of Styrofoam (optional)
What to do…
- Bake a 9x13 cake. Cool.
- Once completely cooled, crumble in a large bowl.
- Add half a can of frosting and mix well until the mixture sticks together and you are able to form a ball without it crumbling.
- Form bite sized balls from the mixture and place on wax paper on a cookie sheet. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- While cake balls are in the freezer, melt your chocolate in the microwave or a double broiler. Add the coconut oil and mix well.
- After 10 minutes in the freezer, take the cake balls out. Dip the end of your lollipop or Popsicle sticks in the melted chocolate, then insert them into each cake pop.
- Place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Using the popsicle/lollipop stick, completely dip your cake balls into the melted chocolate until completely covered. Tap the stick against the bowl to ensure that all excess chocolate covering drips off.
- Place the cake pops in a Styrofoam slab to dry OR you can place them on wax paper (the top will be a bit flat).
- Let dry for about 15-20 minutes before eating.