Is there anyone who has arcipes for cooking beef calves’ liver? I have poached and fried it as well as including one or two of the following: bacon, nushrooms and onions. Does anyone have further suggestions for mealtime consumption?
Calf’s Liver En Casserole
* One calf's liver * 6 slices bacon * 1 cup button mushrooms * 3 cups potato balls * 1 pint brown stock
- Wash a calf’s liver thoroughly and wipe dry.
- Fry some bacon in a pan, remove, place the liver in the bacon fat, and sear each side thoroughly.
- Transfer to a casserole, add slices of bacon, brown stock, and sautéed mushrooms.
- Cook for one hour and a half, adding more stock if necessary.
- Just before serving add potato balls which have been fried in deep fat and drained.
Calf’s Liver Pancake
* 1¾ pounds calf's liver, passed through meat chopper * 5 potatoes, peeled, grated with a grater * 2 eggs, beaten * Fat or shortening or butter * Seasonings to taste
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Drop with a spoon in melted butter, fat or shortening in a frying pan.
- Cook on both sides.
- Then serve.
Calf’s Liver With Apples And Potatoes
* 8 slices calf's liver * 3 apples, peeled, cored, sliced to make rings * 3 potatoes, peeled, sliced thin * ½ cup butter * Flour * Seasonings to taste
- Dredge slices of calf’s liver with flour, and season.
- Put half the butter in a frying pan and cook the slices of liver on both sides for about 4 minutes.
- Put the rest of the butter in another frying pan and cook the apples and potatoes for about 8 minutes.
- Serve the calf’s liver on top of the potatoes and apples.
Calf’s Liver And Bacon Hash
* Calf's liver (leftover) * Bacon (raw) * Onion * Butter
- Chop onion very fine.
- Chop bacon and calf’s liver together.
- Mix onion, bacon and liver together and season to taste.
- Put in a frying pan with a little butter, and fry not too quickly until brown.
Calf’s Liver, Hashed
- Cut from half to a whole pound of calf’s liver into slices and pour over it boiling water to cover; let stand five or six minutes, then drain, wipe on a cloth and chop fine.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter in a saucepan, put in the hashed liver, cover and let simmer very gently about one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Then add a dash of paprika, half a teaspoon of salt and two or three tablespoons of hot water or broth and serve when mixed thoroughly.
- Serve on rounds of buttered toast or with baked potatoes.
Breaded Beef’s Liver
- See that the liver is a fresh one.
- Have the slices cut thin, and let them stand ten minutes in boiling water.
- Fry slices of bacon very crisp and remove them to a hot dish.
- Take a tablespoon of the fat, shake in black pepper, dip the slices of liver in this, then in bread crumbs mixed with finely minced parsley, and fry in the hot bacon fat until browned on both sides.
- When done, lay on a hot platter with the slices of bacon and sprigs of parsley as a border; add to the fat left in the pan a tablespoon of vinegar and 2 tablespoons of tomato catsup; stir well together and spread hot on top of the liver.
Calf’s Liver With Tomatoes
* 8 slices calf's liver * 3 tomatoes * 2 tablespoons butter * Seasonings to taste
- Cut slices of calf’s liver in half.
- Fry quickly in butter in frying pan.
- Remove calf’s liver from frying pan, leaving butter in frying pan.
- Slice the tomatoes and season highly.
- Put them in frying pan and cook very quickly on very hot fire for about 5 minutes.
- Pour tomato over calf’s liver.
Stewed Liver With Mushrooms
- Melt 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening and add 1 1/2 tablespoons flour.
- Brown by long slow cooking.
- Add salt and pepper and 2 cups water.
- Cook till as thick as good cream.
- Have 1 pound of calf’s liver cut into 2 inch cubes.
- Pour boiling water over them and drain immediately.
- Drop these into brown sauce and cook slowly 10 or 12 minutes.
- They must not cook rapidly nor too long.
- In the meantime peel some mushrooms if they are fresh and require such treatment, and drop into melted vegetable shortening and allow to simmer.
- Just before taking up liver add mushrooms.
Timbales Of Liver
- To a pint of young calf’s liver cooked in salted water until tender, then forced through a meat chopper, add a cup of fresh crumbs moistened with a cup of chicken stock or milk, two beaten eggs, a teaspoon of finely chopped parsley, a few drops of onion juice, a tablespoon of chicken oil, bacon fat or soft butter, and salt and paprika to season highly.
- Mix thoroughly and turn into well-buttered earthen timbale molds.
- Cooks in a pan of warm water in a moderate oven for about twenty-five minutes.
- Turn out on a warm platter and surround with mushroom sauce.