"Canada Day" Lasagna

I nic’d this my “Canada Day Lasagne” because I made this for our July 1st. holiday/Canada Day a few years ago!
I find myself making this more often than just once a year tho!..lolol. It IS good and dh even likes it and he hates [read closely>>>>>]… spinach, cottage cheese, black olives, green peppers, mozzarella cheese, cooked celery,pasta & last but not least…zucchini!

We won’t tell him what is in it, okay?

Vegetable Lasagne:

Zucchini & black olives provide another “interesting variation” on the standard lasagne flavor. This recipe can be frozen with no loss of flavor!

2 tablespoon oil
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
1&1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1&1/2 cups tomato sauce
1- 5&1/2-ounce can tomato paste
1/4 cup grated Parmeasn cheese
2 cups cottage cheese, mixed with 1 egg
1/2 cup black olives, (or more IF ya like, I LIKE!)
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
8-ounce lasagne noodles, cooked;(I used the “oven-ready” noodles)
10-ounces spinach, torn in 1-inch pieces,(I used baby spinach and did NOT tear!)

Saute’garlic in oil for 1 minute.
Add onion, green pepper, celery & herbs & cook for another 5 minutes.
Add zucchini & cook another 5 minutes.
Add mushrooms, tomato sauce & tomato paste.
Simmer 20 minutes more.
Remove from heat & add parmeasan cheese & mix well.

Spread a small amount of the sauce in the bottom of a greased, 2-quart-casserole dish.
Layer in 1/2 of each of the ingredients;…noodles, sauce, cottage cheese, spinach,mozzarella & olives.

Repeat for another “layer”, with the second “1/2”!

Cover & bake for 1 hour at 350’f.,<<<<IF using the regular noodles, IF using the oven ready noodles…bake for 40-45 minutes, then remove from oven to “rest”.

Allow to “rest” for 10 minutes before serving.

Serves: 6-8

Thank you for sharing. This sounds wonderful and I am planning on trying it this weekend after going to the farmers market. :stuck_out_tongue:

THANKS FOR POSTING, I WILL HAVE TO GIVE IT A TRY.
Cin(\0/)

Sounds really good…except for the zucchini. I really hate it. I can spot it in the best of recipes. I’ll just increase the mushrooms, love those things. I’ll also have to change the green peppers to any of the colored peppers (gee…I’m being fussy).

Recipe itself sounds fantastic. Thanks!..