Small amount of margarine and orange juice give these yams lots of flavor but little fat.
3 medium yams (1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp flour, sifted
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp orange peel
1 tsp soft tub margarine
1/2 cup orange juice
- Cut yams in half and boil until tender but firm (about 20 minutes).
- When cool enough to handle, peel and slice into 1/4-inch thickness.
- Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and grated orange peel.
- Place half of the sliced yams in a medium-sized casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with spiced sugar mixture.
- Dot with half the amount of margarine.
- Add a second layer of yams, using the rest of the ingredients in the same order as above. Add orange juice.
- Bake uncovered in oven preheated to 350? F for 20 minutes.
Makes 6 servings–Serving size: 1/4 cup
Fat less than 1 g
Saturated fat less than 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 115 mg