2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup fennel, chopped
1-1/2 lbs Italian Sausage, crumbled
1/2 cup water
6 cups tomato sauce
1 lb penne pasta
1/2 cup grated romano cheese
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onions and fennel for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Stir frequently. Add sausage to the pan and brown.
- Once the sausage has browned add the water and tomato sauce, increase heat and bring sauce to a boil stirring frequently. Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drop penne in boiling salted water and cook until al dente. Drain pasta in colander.
- Add pasta in with sauce and toss to coat.
- Add Romano cheese, toss with the pasta until melted.
- Transfer pasta to serving dish or individually plate and serve with a dollop of ricotta on top.