(makes 8 servings)
refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray
1 1-pound (480 g) bag peeled baby carrots
3 large eggs
1/2 cup (120 ml) 1% low-fat milk
1/3 cup (80 ml) evaporated skim milk
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
dash of freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375Â°F (190Â°C), Gas Mark 5. Lightly coat a 2-quart (2 l) casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook carrots in boiling water to cover until very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain.
- Place carrots and remaining ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Pour mixture into prepared casserole. Set the dish in a large baking pan and pour boiling water into the pan to come up halfway up the side of the casserole dish.
- Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from water bath and serve at once or reheat by placing casserole in a large skillet of simmering water for 20 to 25 minutes.
Per serving: 65 calories (33% calories from fat), 4 g protein, 2 g total fat (0.8 g saturated fat), 7 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 81 mg cholesterol, 241 mg potassium, 209 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 vegetable), 1/2 fat