Cauliflower with Toasted Bread Crumbs
(makes 6 servings)
3 small or 1 large head cauliflower
olive oil cooking spray
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
1/2 cup (30 g) fine fresh bread crumbs*
- Cut the stem of each cauliflower off at the base, so that the head will stand upright. Trim off outer tough leaves. Cut an X in the bottom of each stem. Place on a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and add 1 inch of water.
- Bring water to a boil and place the cauliflowers on the rack. Cover the pot and steam until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes (depending on size of cauliflower), until tender but still crisp.
- Remove the cauliflowers from the pot and drain in a colander.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat a heavy nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add olive oil and place over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring constantly, until the crumbs are nut brown. Be careful to not burn.
- Arrange the cauliflowers on a serving platter. Top with browned bread crumbs. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Per serving: 102 calories (39% calories from fat), 4 g protein, 5 g total fat (0.6 g saturated fat), 12 g carbohydrates, 4 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 86 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (2 vegetable), 1 fat
*fresh bread crumbs can be made in seconds in a food processor or blender–1 slice of soft bread will yield about 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs.