CHATWETTY?S TRADITIONAL MEAT PIE
A 15th-century recipe, not Mrs. Lovett’s. Serves 8.
1 pound pork or veal, cubed
1 cup water
Pastry for 8-inch double pie crust
6 tablespoons chopped dates
6 tablespoons currants
2 teaspoons salt
5 saffron threads
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground mace
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup red wine
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
10 egg yolks
- In saucepan, simmer meat in water 20 minutes. Drain.
- Line 8-inch square baking dish with pastry.
- In medium-sized bowl, combine meat, dates and currants. Place meat mixture into pastry-lined dish.
- In same bowl, combine salt, saffron, ginger, pepper, mace, cloves, wine, vinegar and 9 egg yolks, reserving 1 yolk.
- Pour mixture over the meat.
- Cover with top crust, crimp well, make triangular cuts in center and fold tips back.
?7. Beat reserved yolk and brush on crust. Bake at 375Â°F until crust is browned and meat is heated through, 25 to 30 minutes.