Chicken and Potato Stew

I was experimenting the other night and intended to make chicken breasts smothered in mushroom gravy and serve with potatoes. Instead I came up with this chicken stew.

4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
2 baking potatoes- scrubbed and cut in bite size chunks
8 oz mushrooms- in larger chunks
1 heaping Tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic granules
1- 16 oz. bag frozen petite green beans
2- 10.5 oz cans cream of mushroom soup (98% fat free)
1/4 cup low fat sour cream
1- 16 oz. can whole kernal corn
1-2 cups frozen peas

Begin by starting to saute chicken in large skillet until barely no longer pink.Remove from skillet, cut in bite size chunks and return to skillet. Next add potatoes, cumin and garlic granules to skillet and continue to saute until potatoes are beginning to become tender, about 15-20 minutes. Next add mushrooms and frozen green beans to skillet, saute an additional 5-10 minutes before adding the mushroom soups,1 soup can of water, sour cream and whole kernal corn. Cover with lid and simmer until potatoes are almost done. Add the frozen peas at this time, cover and continue simmering until peas are tender and heated through (5-10 more minutes).

If the sauce is too thick for you add in small amounts of milk until desired consistency. We wanted a thick sauce so I made a paste of 1/4 soup can of water with 3 Tbsp. flour, added to simmering pan until the desired consistency.

You could make this thicker and serve over rice or pasta. We ate it as stew. The experiment was a success, my husband said to save this recipe to make again. :smiley:

Life is My Journey, God My Guide, Faith My Companion.