Chicken fried steak

This is one of those Southern comfort foods like fried chicken. Only difference is it is beef cube steaks
fried like chicken.

1 to 4 quarts Cooking oil depending on your deep fryer
2 Eggs
2 cups Milk room temperature
3 cups Flour
2 teaspoons Beef seasoning
8 6 oz Beef cutlets tenderized at room temperature

Heat oil to 375.
In a medium bowl whisk the eggs and milk together. In a separate bowl combine the
flour and beef seasoning.
Dip 4 cutlets into the egg mixture one at a time. Then dredge them in the flour and dip
them back into the egg mixture and place them gently into the the fryer. Cook 1 min.
per side depending on the thickness of the meat. Fry until the golden brown and remove
from the fryer and place on a platter lined with paper towels. Repeat for the remaining
4 cutlets.

Great served with mashed potatoes and cream gravy.

My mouth is watering right now especially for the gravy.

For those who don’t know, I live in Thailand. There are some western owned restaurants that have chicken fried steak on the menu. The waitress in one place where I ordered it obviously had no idea what it was. When I asked for chicken fried steak she replied, “Do you want chicken or steak?” I couldn’t help myself, I had to laugh. I did apologize for laughing and explained to her what chicken fried steak was.

Since you live in Thailand you should enjoy this:

Yes and some restaurants list it in the menu as Country fried steak which is about the same as chicken fried steak. This one has buttermilk which is a good substitute for eggs and milk, and a lot of folks use buttermilk to fry chicken. To me there is not enough difference to notice, and both are just down right good.

Country Fried Steak

4 4 oz tenderized beef cutlets - top sirloin or cube steak
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oil in a deep skillet to 350 degrees. Add enough oil to cover the bottom 1 1/2 inches of the pan. Prepare seasoned flour by adding flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Stir dry ingredients together with a fork. In another shallow dish mix together the buttermilk and the water. Season beef cutlets with salt and pepper. Dredge the meat in the flour, then the buttermilk, and then the flour. Ideally allow the floured cutlets to rest for 10-15 minutes before cooking.

Cook meat cutlets in the hot oil, flip over when the bottom has browned. When both sides are browned remove and allow cooked meat patties to drain on paper towels.

Gotta have mashed potatoes with cream gravy with the steak.

True but I like brown gravy as well for a change

Let me finish for you, some people are idiots or just plain stupid and you can’t fix stupid!

Perhaps he can’t read, just looks and points.

Brown gravy is great for meatloaf or roast beef or pork, but for chicken fried steak it must be cream gravy for me.

It has been too long since I’ve had chicken fried steak. I’ve never actually made it, but I like to order it when I’m in the mood for comfort food.

If you make it at home it will be much better than what you get at the Cracker Barrel or Lizard’s Thicket. Yes comfort food is so satisfying.

I agree with you on the cream gravy because it is a favorite for me, but it does not hurt to try something different for a change.

I absolutely love chicken fried steak sammies breaded with crushed Keebler club crackers, toasted sourdough smeared with tartar sauce, a few shakes of Tabasco, and a dill pickle!

Yes, might be good for a change

this is really interesting i wanna try this at home :slight_smile:

I always thought chicken fried steak started in the South (because of our fancy for fried chicken), but based on what has been said it appears to me it has been most everywhere for a long time.

From Wikipedia:

Chicken Fried Steak

The precise origins of the dish are unclear, but many sources attribute its development to German and Austrian immigrants to Texas in the 19th century, who brought recipes for Wiener Schnitzel from Europe to the USA.
Lamesa, the seat of Dawson County on the Texas South Plains, claims to be the birthplace of chicken fried steak, and hosts an annual celebration accordingly. John “White Gravy” Neutzling of Bandera in the Texas Hill Country also claims to have invented the dish.

Instead of an egg wash use buttermilk wash or a thin wash of cornstarch and water. This has a lighter taste.

I also use good cube steaks.