Chicken Pot Pie

…and Tossed Salad…

Yep, we don’t have really stifling hot weather yet, so having the oven on doesn’t bother me that much!

In the past week and a half, my Mom (who lives with us now) has baked Oatmeal Rock cookies, Rhubarb Crisp, Brownies and Pecan/Coconut Frosting, Bread, and Cinnamon Buns…
I just have to say it’s my duty to eat some of all of that to make her feel better! :wink:

Fergit the fact that I was trying to lose 10 lbs before one of those infamous 07/07/07 weddings we’ll be attending! :slight_smile:

Hi Cindy,

Don’t know if your dinner was a homemade pot pie. A while ago, I found a recipe on this site for a terrific chicken pot pie. I have pleased many bellies since. I love pot pies and anything gravy :slight_smile: Here it is:

Chicken Pot Pie

I have made this recipe a few times and achieved great results and very happy tummies. This was posted on RSN by msb a while ago. This time, I’m going to add a can of cream of chicken soup to the mixture for the pie in addition to the 2 cups of stock. I think it will be a little more saucier inside the pie this way. We’ll see…I’ll keep you posted. I make gravy with the remaining stock (because there is a lot) to pour on top of the slices of pie if necessary, or use it for something else. Good tasting gravy, by the way. Also, the 1/4 cup of rosemary might be a typo. I use 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary leaves. Also, I use Marie Callanders’ deep dish frozen pie crust…marvelous.

Paula

Great Day Everyone!

Here’s an oldie but a goodie for you.

Enjoy,
Msb

Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:
3 to 4 pounds cut up chicken
2 quarts water
1 med. onion, quartered
2-4 small ribs celery with leaves
3 sprigs parsley
1bay leaf
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 cup dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
about 7 carrots,sliced
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper
1/2 cup milk
1 pkg. frozen peas, baby broccoli florets, green beans, etc.
pastry for 2 crust pie, either homemade or store bought, or frozen deep dish shells

Prep:

In a large dutch oven or stockpot, combine chicken, water, onion, celery, parsley, bay leaf, salt, pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken and strain stock into a large measure/container. Return 2 cups of stock to the pot; add carrots and broccoli, simmer until veggies are tender.
Meanwhile, remove chicken meat from bones and cube. Place chicken in a two quart baking dish. Whisk together flour, remaining salt, pepper, and milk. Stir into stock with carrots and broccoli; add thawed peas, etc. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until peas are tender.
Preheat oven and partially bake the deep dish shell or partially bake the homemade bottom crust. Fill with chicken pot pie mixture, cover with top crust, crimp edges well, cut slits for steam to escape from top crust and bake at 425 for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Allow ten minutes for pie to set before serving. Delecious! Serves 6 to 8.

Oh Paula,
I’ve been gone, so I didn’t see this recipe! Thank you!

I love pot pies and anything gravy as well!! :slight_smile:

In this case, I had just put in Marie Callender’s Chicken Pot Pies, (because they’re a dang site better than some others I’ve had…) :wink:

But of course, homemade is ALWAYS best!..

Hi Paula,

This sounds good think I’ll make this for dinner tomorrow night and have it deep dish my hubie loves a chicken pot pie with two crust. I saw this recipe on this site to but forgot about it until just a few when I saw Cindys answer.

Thanks for this recipe.