25g/1oz smoked bacon, diced
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 tbsp finely diced red pepper
1 tbsp finely diced green pepper
2 tbsp sweetcorn
325ml/Â½ pint chicken stock
American or mild mustard
paprika or chilli powder
Jack Daniels bourbon cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper
spring onions, chopped to garnish
- Melt a little butter in a pan and add bacon.
- Add the shallots, peppers and corn.
- Pour in chicken stock. Turn up the heat and let the sauce bubble for 3-4 minutes.
- Add a little mustard, dash of paprika or chilli powder and knob of butter, plus a little Jack Daniels bourbon to taste. If the sauce tastes bitter, bubble up again to get rid of alcohol and add a little more butter if necessary.
- Stir in a little cream, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve with Irene Cleaves’ Southern Fried Chicken.