Chicken/Vegetable Stew

Here’s a stew that my family and anyone I have shared it with loves. It’s full of what my husband will call “stuff”, so it’s not all liquid. A great meal in one bowl.

Chicken/Vegetable Stew

Use 2 - 3 pounds of fresh cut-up chicken pieces. Rinse chicken under cold water. Place in a large soup pot with 8 cups of water. Bring to a low boil. When the foam forms on the top of the water, skim it off. Then add a large chopped onion, 4 stalks of fresh chopped celery, and 1 tablespoon of dried parsley flakes, 2 dried bay leaves, a cut-up tomato or 1/2 cup of tomato juice, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Simmer on low heat for 1-1/2 hours. Remove the chicken pieces and put aside to cool until you can handle it. In the meantime, add 4 cubed peeled medium potatoes, 8 cut up peeled carrots, and any other fresh or frozen vegetables that you would like to add, i.e., frozen corn, peas or beans. Remove the meat from the bones and put back into the simmering soup and vegetables. Simmer for an additional (30) minutes or until the vegetables are tender. In a small container mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/2 cup of water until smooth. Add this to the stew, continuing to boil for another 5 minutes; stirring often. Serves (6).