Chili Recipe

I found a recipe for Val’s Famous Award Winning Chili. It calls for 1 colada of Cuban Cafe. Being from Wisconsin I have no idea what this is and found no help on the internet. If someone can answer the question you might as well go for the next one to. That would be how do I replace it with something that is handy?

Val’s Famous Award Winning Chili

Ingredients:
-5 lbs lean ground beef.
-3 regular size cans of red kidney beans.(rinsed thoroughjly)
-2 regular size cans of baked brown beans (no pork; rinsed)
-2 regular size cans of black beans (unrinsed,but remove the top water)
-1 large spanish onion (diced)
-1 large red onion (diced)
-1 or 2 green peppers (diced)
-4 garlic cloves (or more, to your liking)
-1 or 2 jalapeños (to your liking)
-1 small jar of cascabella peppers
-1 large (economy) size an of tomato juice
-1 small tin tomato paste
-1 regular size can of tomato soup
-1 large can of stewed tomatoes (I prefer fresh tomatoes , diced)
-2 dried chili peppers (remove before serving)

Spices:
-2 1/2 teaspoons of Paprika
-3 tablespoons of ground chili pepper
-4 tablespoons of brown sugar
-2 1/2 tablespoons of dried mustard (crucial)
-1 1/2 tablespoons Oregano
-2 tablespoons salt
-2 tablespoons black pepper
-1 good hit of Tabasco sauce
-1 good hit of Franks hot sauce
-1 colada of Cuban Cafe

Procedure:

In a very large pot add the veggies (not the beans) and sauces (soup, juice, paste) and simmer in medium high heat while browning the meat in a separate pan/pot. When meat is browned, drain and add to sauces and simmer 1/2 hour to an hour under medium heat (stir every 10 minutes or so to not allow meat to stick to bottom).
After about 1/2 to an hour, brew the cafe cubano and add along with all the spices and beans. Simmer uncovered under low to medium low heat for at least 4 hours or until it thickens. Stirring every 10 to 15 minutes is imperative as the meat and beans will stick to bottom of pan.
Once it’s done let sit for a few minutes and remove jalapeños and dried chilis before serving.

Once it’s ready, you’ll have a beautifully colorful chili that is absolutely delicious. I have friends that call and beg me to make the stuff every once in a while. You can also add one or two regular cans of small red beans if you want the full four bean chili. Everyone that has seen this recipe has asked me why add Cafe Cubano. Well, it hints an undeniably different flavor that you wont find in any other chili. I must warn you, this chili is not for the faint of heart, it’s strong and heavy and even though you may have had 2 bowls already and are stuffed, you will want another one.

Here’s a recipe for a perfect Cuban coffee. (Cafe Cubano)
You’ll need:

A stainless steel cream server. It heats up quickly, and therefore will allow the sugar to dissolve in the coffee.

An espresso maker. Make two shots.

Good espresso grounds. I like Pilon or La Llave.                

1/8 cup of sugar

Preferred Method: This seems to consistently give the best results.

Put the sugar into the cream server. Make two shots of espresso. Take one teaspoon of the hot espresso, and dump it into the cream server. The hot espresso should partially dissolve the sugar. Mix well the sugar and small bit of espresso together. The sugar should now be a light brown somewhat fluid sugar substance. Now take the rest of the espresso from the two shots, and dump it into the cream server. Mix the espresso with the previous contents. You should get a nice light brown foamy top - espumita.

Second Method: Faster.

Just dump the sugar in the cream server. Put the cream server under the espresso maker nozzle, and keep stirring the sugar with the espresso as the espresso drips into the cream server. The espumita will form as the espresso continues dripping. Stop the espresso when you have enough in the server.

Coffee is woven into the fabric of Cuban life. The aromatic signature of this strong and sweet beverage graces the air from Havana to Miami, drawing people to the coffee counters that dot the streets. In Cuba, coffee is a staple in every home and is enjoyed during breakfast, lunch, dinner, and anytime in between.

Café Cubano/ Cafecito

Cuban-style espresso that is strong and sweet, served in a small cup called a tacita.

Espumita

The sweet foam at the top of a cafecito; created when the first few drips of coffee are added to a pot with sugar, and then whipped.

Colada

A large cup of cafecito that comes with four or five small cups meant for sharing.

Cortadito

A cafecito with a few tablespoons of milk added. A perfect introduction to cafecito.

Café con Leche

A cafecito served with a glass of warm milk. The cafecito is poured into the cup of warm milk and then enjoyed.

Tacita

A small cup similar to a demitasse in which cafecito is served.

Café Cubano, or cafecito , is a Cuban-style espresso that is distinctly strong and sweet. It is brewed into a small silver pot that contains several teaspoons of sugar. As the first steaming drops of coffee fill the pot, the sugar is stirred to create a frothy foam called espumita. This foam is spooned into the demitasse, or tacita, first and then rises to the top once the coffee is poured. Typically drunk standing up at the counter, Café Cubano can be enjoyed on its own or con leche, and always with friends.

Cuban coffee finds its roots in Ethiopia, originally known as Kahwe or Kahwa. Brought west to Cuba, the drink was used in rituals in Afro-Cuban religions and was a traditional offering to the dead during ceremonies. The unique flavor and strength of the coffee adopted by Cubans in the 18th century laid the foundation for one of Cuba’s great national traditions. In 1827, less than 100 years after coffee was first introduced to the island, Cuba had more than 2,000 coffee plantations. The ruins of some of these plantations survive today in the foothills of the Sierra Maestra Mountains, and have been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The climate and soil in Cuba remain some of the best in the world for growing rich, high-quality coffee beans. The most popular species of coffee grown in Cuba is Arabic, with twelve varieties exported worldwide, each distinct in its flavor and aroma. This supreme quality and variety is quintessentially Cuban, an essence we invite you to experience at Café Lo Cubano.

Thanks very much. Where did you come up with all that? I looked and came up empty. New question. Have you or anyone else tried that chili recipe? It could save me some time and cash.

One of the gals in my recipe club (actually her hubbie) made this. I am not too fond of heavy spices with chili all the time and he made this exact recipe. It wasn’t bad - when it comes to chili - I am very fussy! So I really can’t say how you will like it. And like any recipe - it can be “tweaked” your way. If you were to ask me how I would do this after trying it - I would use all red kidney beans, lighten up a bit on the cascabella and jalapeno peppers and lighten up on the oregano. Probably leave out the cascabella completely!

And you ask where I get my recipes from?? I have hundreds of cookbooks, 3 computers loaded with recipes and hundreds of disks and cd’s loaded. it’s been a lifelong thing with me. Coming from a long line of professional cooks and bakers and restaurant owners - I have many family originals in “homemade” cookbooks that I would love to have printed. Just something to keep me busy and I love to share with everyone!

Let me know if you make this recipe and if you made any changes to it and how you liked it!

Kitchen Witch