Chili Recipes Needed for Chili Cookoff

lol. how are they going too feel about chili when you win the competion?

rick

Rick:

I like your optimism. Naturally if I win we would have to have a bowl to celebrate. :slight_smile:

Betty

you’re on. would be hard for me to get to kentucky, so i guess i’ll just have to settle for the recipe. lol

i found a couple of chili recipes for you in a cook book called ‘white trash cooking’. makes me wish i lived in the south. some very interesting and some good recipes in it.

they’re definitely not prize winners but the first one looks interesting.

enjoy,

rho

JAIL-HOUSE CHILI

3 LBS DICED LEAN BEEF
¼ CUP WESSON OIL
1 QT WATER
8 CHILI PODS
OR 6 TBSP CHILI POWDER
3 TSP SALT
5 CLOVES FINELY CHOPPED GARLIC
1 TSP GROUND CUMIN
1 TSP MARJORAM
1 TSP RED PEPPER
1 TBSP WHITE SUGAR
3 TBSP PAPRIKA

TO THICKEN:

6 TBSP FLOUR
6 TBSP WHITE CORN MEAL
1 CUP WATER

HEAT OIL IN LARGE POT, ADD MEAT & SEAR OVER HIGH HEAT. STIR CONSTANTLY UNTIL MEAT IS GRAY BUT NOT BROWN. ADD WATER & COVER, COOKING OVER LOW FIRE FOR 1½ - 2 HOURS.

ADD REMAINING INGREDIENTS, EXCEPT FOR THICKENING, & COOK AT A BUBBLING SIMMER FOR 30 MINUTES.

ADD THICKENING WHICH HAS PREVIOUSLY BEEN MIXED WITH 1 CUP OF WATER. COOK ABOUT 5 MORE MINUTES, HAND STIR TO PREVENT STICKING.

MORE WATER MAY BE ADDED IF IT’S TOO THICK.

IF MEAT IS VERY FAT, SKIM OFF FAT BEFORE ADDING THICKENING.

THIS IS REALLY HOT CHILI.

CHILI

½ SACK PINTO BEANS, COOKED
UNTIL TENDER
2 ONIONS CHOPPED
1 BOTTLE KETCHUP
1 LB HAMBURGER MEAT
2 CAN TOMATOES
CHILI POWDER, CAYENNE,
SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE

COOK PINTOS UNTIL TENDER. 

BROWN MEAT & MUSHROOMS. ADD TO BEANS.

ADD TOMATOES & KETCHUP & OTHER INGREDIENTS.

Chunky Chili

2 lbs. stew meat 2 t. minced garlic 1 onion, chopped 1 c. water 1 15 oz.can stewed tomatoes 1 16 oz. jar salsa 2 15 oz. cans pinto beans 2 15 oz. cans kidney beans 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. pepper 2 Tbsp. chili powder
In large pot mix beef, garlic ,onion,and water. Simmer about 1 hr. or until beef is done. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hr.

Rick and Horselover:

Thanks for the recipes. I’ve been absent for several days due to a scare with my father. Things are much better now and his health is continuing to improve.

Since I’m the “chef” of the family naturally, I took advantage of the opportunity to test two chili recipes on my family while they were all together. They are tough critics. Everyone has their idea of what chili should be and taste like. I almost started a family feud. Where I come from you add spaghetti to chili. The cook-off does not allow pasta so none of the chili I prepared contained pasta. Big mistake. I seem to recall being called “a yankee”, “a yuppie”, and “un-american”, and that was just by my mother (LOL). My family is too funny, but that’s a whole nother story.

As you can tell, I am having fun with this chili cook-off. And isn’t that what food is all about, fun, family and good times?

Betty
:slight_smile:

Horselover

betty,

np at all. you do know that everyone including me wants your prize winning recipe.

break a wooden spoon,

rick

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 pound ground beef
12 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed, cut into 1/2 cubes
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic salt
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 (14.5-ounce) cans beef broth
2 (14.5-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, drained
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cinnamon stick
3 bay leaves
2 green jalapenos, slit lengthwise 3 times each
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
Salt and pepper, to taste
Garnish with Cheddar and sour cream, if desired.

Place oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Brown the sirloin in batches. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Add ground beef, chorizo and onions to the pot and brown. Make sure to break up the meat. Return sirloin to the pot. Stir in remaining ingredients, except for garnishes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for 2 hours. Stir occasionally, breaking up tomatoes. Before serving, discard cinnamon stick, bay leaves and jalapenos. Garnish, if desired.

aggiejac:

Welcome aboard and thanks for the post. I appreciate the assistance. You’ll find this to be a very helpful site. Everyone here has a love for good food and we all try to help one another. Keep those recipes coming and again welcome.

BetK

rick:

happy thanksgiving to you and all the others celebrating next week. I’d be happy to share my recipe with everyone. The cook-off is Oct. 13. Wish me luck.

betty

Thanks BetK and good luck with the cook off!

ok bet,

inquiring minds are dying to know. how’d the cookoff go?
did you make some blue ribbon chile?

rho

http://www.www.recipesecrets.net/forums/search.php?searchid=27830

I searched this web site ( recipe secrets ) and found 1184 recipes mentioning or for chile, right here just using the search funtion.

Come on Bet,

I agree with Rho…we are all anxious to hear the results and gain (hopefully your) recipe for the winning Chili.

I’m sure that you are chili’ed out at this point LOL, but we are looking forward to hearing the news.

Paula

Everyone:

Here is the news that you’ve been waiting for. I so wanted to be in the top 3. And I did it. I was 2nd out of 14. And I promised that if I made the top 3, I would share my recipe. But before I do, I want to says thanks to everyone for your recipes, your tips, and your encouragement. I couldn’t have done it without you.

CHILI

2 lbs. Ground round
2 – cans chili beans
2 – cans petite diced tomatoes
1 – small onion (diced)
1 – pkg. French’s chili seasoning
1 Tbsp mole
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp chili sauce
1 – 15 oz beef broth
1 – 15 oz. Chicken broth
1 – small can tomato paste ( use 1/2 can)
1 tsp cumin
chili powder to taste
hot sauce – 6 – 10 drops
salt
pepper
sugar – ½ - 1 tsp

Brown and drain ground round. Dice onion and add to cooked ground round. Cook until translucent. Add meat/onion mixture to the remaining ingredients (in large stock pot). Taste as you add seasonings. Adjust seasonings to taste. Simmer 45 minutes – 1 hour over low heat.

Serve it up with a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of cold milk. (Yum!) That’s the way we do it here in KY.

Thanks again everyone.

BetK

betty,

let me be the first to congratulate you. YOU GO GIRL. WAY TO GO.
i’m so happy for you.

rho

what would be a good substitute for mole?
or, a the ingredients needed to make 1 tbsp?

thanks,

rho

Salute to you BetK,

The recipe sounds interesting. Excuse my ignorance but what is “mole?” Glad to hear that you did well. I agree about following up with a peanut butter sandwich and glass of milk. Something has to take the sting out of chili LOL. Do you have the winning recipe?

Congratulations to you for achieving you goal of top 3rd! I will try your recipe. Cheers to you!

KW, PMUHLHAN & RHODRY

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

KW, you’re right about contests being addictive. I’m sure that I drove my family crazy, but I enjoyed it. I don’t know what my next one will be, but I am truly looking for one.

PMUHLHAN, I was new to mole too. So I had to get a crash course in it. Mole is a Mexican chocolate sauce. It contains a variety of chile peppers, Mexican chocolate, raisins, nuts, seeds, cinnamon, cloves, a variety of spices and get this it contains bread and a corn tortilla. It’s what we here in KY call a “concoction”.

It is readily available in the grocery in the Mexican food section. It comes in a small jar.
You’ve probably not noticed it since you didn’t need it.

RHO, if you can’t find mole in your grocery you are fine to just leave it out. I wouldn’t know of any one other item to tell you to substitute. Mole just adds a little depth of flavor in the background to not only chili, but a variety of other foods. I’m still learning about it myself. It’s probably not something that you’d want to try to make. It has a lot of ingredients and I’ve been told that it’s easy to burn up your blender or food processor if you’re not careful.

As far as the “winning” recipe goes, it is not being shared. Rumor has it that it had venison in it.

Thanks everyone for taking such an active part in this venture. I truly could not have done this without the support, recipes, tips and advice from each of you. God Bless

BetK

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t cook another pot of chili for a year or so:o)

Mary Ann:D

This Is Great Texas Chili

2 Table Oil
2 Lb.stewing Beef,cubed
1 Cup Chopped Onions
1 Green Bell Pepper,seeded And Chopped
1 Clove Garlic,minced
1 12oz.can Tomato Paste
21/2 Pickled Jalapend Peppers,rinsed,seeded And Chopped
11/2 Tabl.chili Powder
11/2 Tsp.crushed Red Pepper
1/2 Tsp.salt
1/2 Tsp. Cumin
1 15oz. Can Pinto Beans,drained Or Not

In A Large Heavy Pan,heat Oil,and Brown Beef Cues On Al Sides.add Onions,bell Pepper And Garlic,and Fry Them With Beef,about 5 Minutes.add All The Remaining Ingredients Expect Beans,and Simmer The Chili For 11/2 Hours Or Until The Meat Is Tender.add Beans And Summer 30 Minutes Longer.
Enjoy