Choc. Buttermilk Cake w/Choc. Buttermilk Frosting

[b]This is a recipe I got from the cake flour box and altered. It is always better the second and third day so you can make it a day or two ahead. I have had requests to make this as a grooms cake and make about ten of them for Christmas. The group at my drs. office crave it so much I make them through the year for them and 4 or 5 at Christmas. 8)

2 cups sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened (butter is best)
1 tsp vanilla, I like to use real vanilla for this one
3/4 tsp almond extract
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 cup baking cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups buttermilk

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans. I like to use cocoa instead of flour. Personal preference

Beat sugar, butter, vanilla and almond extract in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix cake flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; beat into sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk on medium speed. You need a deep bowl for this because the dry tends to want to fly out of the bowl. So I fold in the dry before I start the mixer. Beat 1 minute longer. Pour into pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack. Cool completely. Fill layers and frost cake with Buttercream Frosting. (Below)
Garnish with choc. curls (optional)

Buttercream Frosting

This is what makes the cake
6 cups powdered sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened (again butter is best)
4 to 6 Tbsp Buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 to 1/2 cups, cocoa(this is also personal, the less you use the lighter the color and flavor)

Beat all ingredients on medium speed until light and fluffy.[/b]

We use to have a lady that we had to bake our special occasion cakes for us and that is the one that my husband loved. I have never seen the recipe for the frosting. She gave me the recipe for the cake but not the instructions so it took me a few tries to get it to turn out. Thanks for the frosting recipe. Ruth

suznok, tried your cake and frosting, very good and probably the only 3rd time that I made Choc. cake by scratch, proud of myself, I still am looking for a old fashioned choc. fudge frosting recipe like they used to have in bakerys in the 50’s and 60’s. Your cake was moist and very good.

This sounds heavenly . . . I am a little concerned about the almond flavor . . . is it strong, and does it take away from the chocolate taste?

THANKS . . .I want to try this.