Christmas Fruit Squares
butter-flavored cooking spray
3/4 cup (72 g) sifted cake flour
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) baking powder
1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) salt
1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon
2/3 cup (19 g) spoonable brown sugar substitute
1/4 cup (32 g) chopped walnuts
1/2 cup (55 g) chopped peeled apple
1/2 cup (66 g) dried no-sugar-added dried cherries
1/3 cup (53 g) chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup (36 g) golden raisins
1 large egg + 1 large egg white
2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon (15 ml) canola oil
- Position the rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C), Gas Mark. Line a 9-inch (22.5 cm) square baking pan with parchment paper. Lightly coat the paper with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, brown sugar substitute, and walnuts.
- In a small bowl, combine apple, dried cherries, apricots, and raisins. Add to flour mixture and using your hands, toss the fruits with the flour, separating the fruits and coating them evenly with flour mixture.
- In a large measuring cup, beat together egg, egg white, orange juice, and oil. Mix well. Add to flour-fruit mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until mixture is thoroughly mixed and evenly moistened.
- Spoon into prepared pan and press down evenly. Bake for 25 minutes, until top is golden and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut into 25 squares. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Per 2-square serving: 94 calories (29% calories from fat), 2 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.4 g saturated fat), 16 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 18 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (fruit), 1 fat